“the smile of Bali”

Rama Candidasa Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Candidasa
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We do love the people of Bali very much.
The hotel is very pleasant and the staff very helpfull and friendly.
In a few month we are visited the hotel again. Wintertime in Holland, that is cold and the temp. in Bali is so much better.
The restaurant of the hotel is very good, we like the food.
Swimmingpool, Spa, both very good.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank grapje
Write a ReviewReviews (1,330)

Reviewed October 10, 2010

I was surprised and awestruck by Bali and Rama Hotel . My jaw kept falling open a few times a day everyday for 2 weeks. Coming back to Rama Candidasa Resort and Spa was like a happy haven that we came back to on our days out. I can not fault them on anything. I can only say good and nice things. The most fantastic fruit drinks I ever had. Meals are great, but you can find good and cheap meals in the village of Candidasa. The restaurants there will even fetch and deliver you from the hotel free of charge.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank karinvandermescht
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Using our timeshare weeks we booked two rooms at the Rama Candidasa . The area is really far away from the airport and the construction along the highway makes it worse - it took us about 2 hours ( pre-paid bluebird taxi from the airport ) . The approach road leading to the resort is dark and unpaved - not easy for elderly people . Once there , however , the lovely entrance lobby made up for it .
The staff were quick and took us through the paperwork ( as a timeshare user its quite a bit , yes ) quite soon . We paid a surcharge of USD 5 per room per day upfront - still don't know what for .
Dinner was at the inhouse restaurant , Garpu . The food was very good and very well presented - importantly for me , they had a small vegetarian section in the menu .
The pool area is lovely in the evenings and at night - but the pool closes at 9 . Its right on the sea and has a small strip of sand as well - to make up for the absence of a beach I suppose - most of Candidasa has severely eroded beaches - the one next to the hotel was a small 4-ft wide sliver visible at low-tide - sad sad sad because the sand is powdery soft and the waters are very very clear . This end of the island is known for diving and snorkeling and the hotel will arrange a mornings snorkeling trip out with a neighbouring dive centre for about 25-30 USD per head .

We took the free shuttle from the hotel into Candidasa ( Chandeedasah ) town - which is otherwise a 20 minute walk away - and asked around at the local transport agencies as well as the drivers who come up to you on the street and got quite a discounted rate on car-with-driver ( about 400,000 Rupiah for an 8-hour period and the driver pays for fuel - roomy , A/C Innova car ) .

We ate out often as nearly every restaurant offers a free pick-up and drop service - and I tired of the veggie menu at Garpu very quickly . Except for some food poisoning from the food at Candidasa Cafe , we had a great time trying out the various restaurants and cafes in town - Joglo's , Ayu's , The Watergarden - all great .

The cultural landmarks are very accessible from Candidasa - Pura Besakih , Mt Agung , Kintamani , Goa Lawah , Goa Gajah , Gunung Kawi . We had to make longer trips to visit Tanah Lot ( sunset at the temple followed by dinner at a horrible cliff-top restaurant ) and Uluwatu ( followed by dinner at the buzzy Jimbaran beach ) but if it wasn't for the terrible traffic near Kuta and on the under-construction highway it wouldn't be so bad . We spent a day at Ubud , Sukhawati , Mas , Celuk , Klungkung and it wasn't at all enough - lovely part of Bali and much cooler than the sometimes muggy coast .

The spa at the Rama hotel is one of the nicest ones around - the ones at the Alila and the Amankila are waaay more expensive . We had one treatment at the hotel's spa and then switched to the Orchid Spa at the Watergarden - average spa but set in very pretty gardens and very cheap - if you have dinner at their restaurant they arrange for a pick-up and drop .

The rooms we were allotted were in the oldest and most basic part of the hotel - the problem with most time-shares I suppose . They were , though , very clean and made-up twice a day and the toiletries were topped up often . The sheets were clean but once I had a torn sheet and once a stained one ( the kind of indeterminate stain that hangs on even after much washing ) . The TV was basic and never used but it might've come in handy for a rainy day I guess - the hotel also has a DVD library you can borrow from . A bale near the pool has a few bookshelves with books for the guests to read - I'm not sure if they can borrow them like in a library .

Shopping in town is okay for the most basic souvenirs - but since the basketry is locally made ( there is a weaver right next to the hotel ) its worth buying it from Candidasa . A better range of craft shops is in Ubud - but as anywhere in Bali , Bargain , BARgain , BARGAIN . Even for gold and silver ! Mas has lovely woodwork , Celik silver . Nearly every shop will arrange for large pieces to be shipped out .

I had a great time in Bali and can't wait to visit again . I wouldn't stay at the Rama Candidasa again though - its a basic , comfortable hotel - because Candidasa is really geared towards people who are looking for a dive / snorkel / beach ( Pasir Putih is a lovely white sand beach just a few kms away ) break . Someplace like Ubud or Gianyar , cooler and closer to the art and craft areas may be better suited to my interests .

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank meerameerie
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Stayed there at end of Mar 2010, with my friends, for the spa and resort.

Reaching there was bad, cos it was far out and we met with a traffic jam, so it took us more than an hr to reach. But all my friends agreed the trip was worth it; we reached after dusk and we were all mesmerized by the beauty of the resort.

We were given 2 twin-bed rooms, no lifts, so we had to climb the stairs. Rooms were decent with balconies. The room I stayed in for the 1st night: air con was down, so sleep was impossible, so I went out to the man-made beach and watched the starry night sky :)

Beach, though man-made, was alluring. The scenery was good both in the day and at night. The swimming pool just beside the beach was a perfect match, cos we could enjoy the best of all worlds: sea, sand, pool and restaurant.

Garpu restaurant served food that was good by SG-standards, if one is accustomed to south-east asian cuisine. We do not recommend their western, cos well, the Balinese are not Westerners lol I tried their fried rice, gado gado. They had a pink-milky drink (forgot the name) which tasted heavenly, but also sinful :P

The restaurant over-looked the cliff, which was unique. We could see the water splashing outside the full-length windows. Breakfast was OK, nothing to die for.

I spent my 2nd afternoon lazing at one of the pavilions with my buddy, drinking beer. The scenery was so mesmerizing we spent hours doing that without feeling bored at all. The sun was strong, but the wind was very cooling (unlike in Batam, where it was hot and humid). But to be fair, the afternoon we were out there was cloudy, which was the kind of weather I like.

My buddy and I also tried their massage. Standard fare, not comparable to the kind of massage I had back in Chinatown, SG. The masseuse were basically rubbing oil all over the body and tickling me. Left leg 10 times, right leg 10 times... *yawns*

The group went out to have a spa treatment the evening before. Basically, the massage service was provided by the masseuse of that parlour; the resort called them in whenever they received bookings. Therefore, it was much cheaper to do it in their parlour out of the resort. The package included facial, massage and hair treatment. The massage, as said, was the usual routine of rubbing oil all over (our sun-burnt body; they were rather stingy on the oil and we all agreed it hurt like hell). The facial was so-so (no steam-treatment) and the hair treatment was basically rubbing loads of conditioner onto the scalp. I think the idea was to spend money to pay someone to do something we could do very well ourselves.

We also had food outside of resort; I could not pin point the name, cos I was basically just following the crowd. Food outside was good in general (I really am not critical of food). But after the dinner on the 2nd night, I had food poisoning. Be careful with seafood over there; you can't really be sure.

We went snorkelling, though the service was not acquired in the resort. The vendor took us out to open seas, which was too tough for us. For extra bucks, they took us to a peaceful cove. But well, reef-life at Candidasa was boring (unlike in Redang), so you guys can save the money.

While my buddy and I was lazing around, the others went sightseeing with the paid/personal tour guide they found (the guy just approached them while they were roaming near the entrance of the resort and they just took his service for the next 2 days. Quite worth it). According to them, the day tour was fun and worth it. They went to see cultural village and volcano and had seafood lunch. Forgot the price they paid though, but it was value for money.

Overall, the place is good for its scenery and for lazing around to drink beer. Spend S$300 to go all the way to drink beer and chit chat and laze around with buddy? I think it was quite worth it. We can't really get such peace in SG.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Zenov
Reviewed September 27, 2010

i stay 8 days there for my honey moon. Hotel is excellent. 4 days we were enjoying in hotel premises only. Unforgetable hotel stay. Good Food. GoodEnglish speaking Staff. lots of fun. i will recomanded if u visit bali stay only in this hotel

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2010

This Hotel is a pleasant establishment but in an out-of-way location. It is about 3k from Candidasa township - too far to walk, but about 15,000rp, one-way, in a taxi. Nearly every restaurant in Candidasa will collect and return you to your Hotel.Most of them also offer wifi.
The Resort is undergoing refurbishment of the wings closest to the seafront. This may have a noise impact on the cottages adjacent to the building works.We stayed in a room which was a bit "tired." The walls could do with a repaint and some of the furniture was scratched;better bedside lighting is required for reading. I imagine this block will be next in line for refurbishment.It is three storeys high - and there is no lift! Wifi is available by way of a voucher -24,000rp for 1 hour.
The pool area is splendid and the Restaurant is also a very pleasant place to while away time.There are also plenty of quiet spots on the grassed area near the seafront. There is a small beach next door, but only at low tide.I put two of the four bicycles to good use - they are readily available at no cost. I rode into town and also to the Bali Aga village; this was well worth the effort . A basic supermarket , laundry services and a couple of simple Warungs are outside the entrance to the Resort.
The staff were uniformly pleasant and helpful.
We hired a car and driver [450,000rp ] for the day and visited Amed to the east and the palaces and gardens along the way.
I have no major criticism of the Resort, only that it is just a little too far from CD itself. If you are seeking "chill out time," then this could be the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pasc0
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Peaceful & tranquil, relaxing & quiet.....Rama Candidasa is a hotel/resort that truly depicts the Balinese culture. Beautiful gardens & surrounds offer a warm feel. The rooms are basic but very comfotable. There's enough to do throughout the day, or simply chill & do nothing. A great break away from the hustle & bustle of Kuta/Legian.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Candidasa
Candi Beach Resort & Spa
#11 of 20 in Candidasa
Kejora Suites
Kejora Suites
#9 of 82 in Sanur

Been to Rama Candidasa Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!