“After many visits to Bali I found a hidden gem, I'll be back”

Rama Candidasa Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Candidasa
Darwin
“After many visits to Bali I found a hidden gem, I'll be back”
Reviewed February 6, 2010

My wife and I planned a reuinion with our two adult children and son in law for Bali. We planned the usual Bali trip, surfing shopping, food and some rest. We stayed in Legian for the first part but saved the last few days for Candidasa. We thought Candidasa might be a bit tame after the excitement and bustle of the city lights. How wrong we were. This became the highlight. Visiting local villages, snorkelling and exploring we experienced the real Bali. The hotel was excellent, service and food great. We ended up wanting to stay longer. We'll be back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed January 26, 2010

For many years we travel to Bali and one year ago friends have recommended this cosy hotel. Last november we stayed 1 week at Rama Candidasa and I think that it is an ideal resort for couples or families wishing to enjoy a relaxing seaside holiday. This hotel
- located directly at the sea with pretty garden and large swimming pool - gives in all areas a clean and well-maintained impression.
We have chosen the gardenview bungalow close to the pool. Nicely furnished, kingsize bed with quite new spring mattresses and non-allergenic pillows and duvets.
Sun loungers and umbrellas on the pool terrace look very new and the same applies to the bath towels: Good quality and no old rags! We stayed 6 nights at Rama Candidasa and I cannot overemphasize the kindness and courtesy of the staff, especially the daily housekeeping service has cleaned our bungalow thoroughly!
In the evening they check the rooms, clean the rubbish bin and if required they use mosquito spray, but we had no mosquitos during our stay. And they never forget to put some Jepun flowers and bedtime sweets on our pillows, a nice gesture.
The stylish ambience of the hotel's restaurant Garpu is very inviting and it is a really excellent restaurant. We had dinner twice, because we loved the atmosphere for candlelight dinner and I like to pay a huge compliment to the restaurant manager and its creative dishes from all over Indonesia.
The Spa looks rather exclusive, but the massage treatment was worth its money.
Candidasa is not famous for its nightlife, but we like the idyllic landscape which is ideal for long walks through rice paddies.
Some nearby coral reefs are great for snorkling, also for beginners.
We did rent snorkelling equipment at the diving school beside the hotel and made a boat trip along the coast... a wonderful experience!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trident_007
Paros, Greece
Reviewed January 15, 2010

We had a booking from their site and stricktly asked for an extra bed as we informed them that our 11y.o. son will be with us.When we arrived no bed was in the room and the room really didn't have the space for an extra bed.They said that they can put one and my answer was that if they did so,my husband and I woudn't be able to move around if we didn't jump over the child's bed.Too small rooms.At the 3rd room they showed us as a bigger one(which was exactly the same as the ones before),I saw a really big coackroach walking on the tree outside and the Australian living nextdoors shouting that there were fleas on the bed...I forgot to tell you that was also a construction happening next to the room.As you can understand I immediately left the hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Dortmund, Germany
Reviewed December 13, 2009

Travelling to Bali without visiting Karangasem in East Bali? Impossible.
I love the green surroundings with rice terraces, bamboo groves and the relaxed atmosphere of Candi Dasa, a fishermen's village until today.
Rama Candidasa is a charming hotel with beautiful bungalows and a pretty tropical garden, really a getaway from the hurly-burly of the Kuta scene and its nightlife.
Together with my husband I prefer the “ocean view bungalow“ (spacious room) because of the great view onto the sea and the smart idea for the highly coveted bathroom in the morning: He can use the “tropical rainshower” (extra large shower head) and I have plenty of time to shampoo my hair in the seperate bathtub.
The bungalows are close to the pool area and I love the Swing Beds (comfortable mattresses/cotton) on the sun terrace, the perfect place for relaxing. When I am travelling alone or together with my mother I ask for “garden bungalow” with twin beds.
Normally we have dinner at Candi Dasa (about 3km away from the hotel) with its wide choice of restaurants, but if I would like to eat a real good pizza: You should
try “pizza vegetarian” or “pizza funghi” at Garpu and enjoy dining at the seaside. This trendy restaurant offers also tasty dishes of the Indonesian Cuisine! Made – bartender and a a great joker - takes me by surprise with delicicious mocktails and long drinks. The breakfast buffet has only one bad point: We are no early birds and so the breakfast could remain open until 11h ... Word!10.30h!
Special requests for breakfast? Don’t hesistate to ask the friendly stuff who is really zealous to please you. Snake fruit (salak) or jack-fruit, mango and even rambutan (a kind of lychee) ... it depends on the season!
Some tourists complain that this area is very quiet and nothing special to do, but I beg to differ. In the late afternoon you should visit Padang Bai - an absolute must for seafood lovers! Just walking along the waterside promenade, watching the ferries going to Lombok and besides some great fish restaurants like “Puri Rai” or
“Kerti” you can have a drink at “Ozone” while listening to the music of some local bands, simply great!
Staying at Candi Dasa is boring? You can find so many places of interest situated nearby, just to name but a few:
Tenganan, Tirta Gangga, Taman Ujung, Besakih Temple, Goa Lawah, Putung with its panoramic view right up to Nusa Penida, famous terraced paddy fields around Sidemen and so on!
The bay of Candidasa offers a lot of fish & corals species like tiny clown fishes, seahorses and even mola-mola. Other guests have recommended "Subocean", a long- established PADI dive center beside the hotel, and their divemasters take you to the perfect spots for snorkling and fishing. Or you should ask for Wayan Landep, a local fisherman with traditional jukung, and he will bring you to some secluded bays with dreamlike sandy shore.
You should indulge yourself in visiting the Spa. Please ask for the woman called Nyoman (she is about forty) because her traditional Balinese massage is simply the best!
Bali has become like second home and so I will return next april to this hotel together with my mother who is nearly 80.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo