“What a great experience”
Review of Warung Boni

Warung Boni
Ranked #4 of 71 Restaurants in Candidasa
Cuisines: Indonesian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed in Candidasa for 4 nights and for our 2nd dinner we chose Warung Boni after reading some very good reviews. And is was just great. Of course it's not a fancy, stylish restaurant but it's a 1st class Warung when it comes to excellent local food run by great local people. Bon is a taxi driver ( whenever you plan on going to Candidasa from Ubud or Denpasar area, give him a call an he will be your reliable driver with a good car ) who picked us up at our hotel every night. The Warung Boni is a nice and clean place with a few tables in the backyard garden and the food is terrific. During our 3 evenings there we tried almost everything from the menu from Sate skewers to Mie Goreng and fish prepared Bali style and all of the food was excellent. Conni is a great cook and the athmosphere at the restaurant is so welcoming and open hearted. Good thing about the place also is, that as my girlfriend and I have a different taste when it comes to spiceness, you can order your food excatly to your liking. And the dinner was half the price of the restaurants along the main street of Candidasa.
Overall for me it' s a clear "two thumbs up" for that place!

3  Thank Jaufi

Reviewed July 5, 2014

What a gem! Best food we've had since arriving on Bali and at a ridiculously good price. Recommend the chicken satay with peanut sauce.

1  Thank Timmelt
Reviewed July 3, 2014

There was a lot of inconsistency of the location of this warung on the net. Luckily someone here gave an email address, and I was able to get directions from Bon.

Warung Boni is located at the far end of town (from where I was). The closest hotel to it is Puri Bagus. From there you can see signs of the warung. I decided to walk, thinking I'd arrive at about 5 pm but arrived about 4:30.

In Candidasa, most restaurants/warungs will pick you up and drop you off. I walked and didn't make a reservation, so even though it was during the opening hours, I think I took them by surprise.

The chef, Connie, came out and said she could open the warung any time, depending on when I'd like to eat. So I said, how about now? I got directed into the family garden where there are two tables.

The laminated menu had all local fares, fish, pork, chicken. I asked what was most typically Balinese. She recommended the fish sambal, fried fish with Balinese spices. I also ordered an avocado drink.

In 15 minutes I was served this nice fish steak, battered and fried, topped with beautiful, brightly colored sauce (mostly red and golden), tomato, chili, onion... The texture of the moist, the crisp, the firm fresh fish and the slightly crispy batter blended all together just like the sauce. There was a real depth to the sauce, also.

In short, it was really good. Hearty but luxurious home cooking. The steamed rice also seemed to have coconut milk in it. Connie said she only used one red chili to keep the heat down, since I told her I could only take a bit of spiciness.

I cleaned the plate, even the leaves of vegetables used as garnish. I figured if things are all this fresh on the plate, why waste fresh leaves of lettuce?

I was pretty full, but decided to try dessert - went with the fried banana. It came with a fluffy batter, which went well with the texture of the banana inside. There was honey served with it but it was fairly sweet as is, so I used just a little bit.

The lemon drink I ordered to go with dessert was freshly squeezed and quite refreshing.

Overall a very satisfying meal!

Connie's nephew drove me back to my hotel on a scooter.

Went to Warung Boni once more before I left Bali, and this time I called ahead. Since it is a family run business off the main strip, it is nice for Connie to know you're coming as far in advance as possible, so that she knows to expect you and also prepare ahead of time. But even last minute guests (like I was) was well taken care of.

4  Thank dimsumcafe
Reviewed June 29, 2014

While staying in Candidasa we stumbled upon this quiet little warung and promised to return latter that night for dinner,glad we did! The food was wonderful service spot on and very well priced.highly recommended.

2  Thank Justine B
Reviewed June 23, 2014

After reading the reviews for this restaurant we went there for dinner. Wasn't sure where in Candidasa it was so rang and were told no problem will come and pick you up. Arrived at Warung Boni and all the staff were there to meet us. We were given a table in the garden, very pleasant. As we have found in Bali the staff are amazing, very friendly and welcoming. The food is cooked as you order, so may take a little longer to come, worth the wait. The meals we had were so delicious, and very cheap. When it was time to go, once again we were driving back to our hotel, but not before the whole staff came and and said goodbye. We loved our experience at Warung Boni. Will be back

2  Thank Jase53