“Beautiful Little Homestay”

Ranked #7 of 18 Candidasa B&B and Inns
Darwin
“Beautiful Little Homestay”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We only spent 1 night at this lovely little hotel on our way to the Gili Islands, but found it to be a very friendly place to stay. We were shown to our room by the owner, and his entire family work on the premises. The gardens are really spectacular, better than many 5 star hotels.
It is large for a homestay, with about 20 bungalows, but in a great position on the water. Unfortunately while we were there in Feb, the amount of rubbish on the beach shocked me, and there is no way I would swim in the water, but I believe that changes in the peak season.
We travelled with our little family of 2 adults and 2 children and stayed in one of the ocean view rooms, which had a double and a single bed. It was clean and comforable.
No hot water was not really an issue for us on a 1 night stay, but the garden bungalows also looked lovely and they have hot water and air con.
Lots of older European people staying while we were there, many of whom stay long term. There is a restaurant on premises, with decent cheap food, and you can order and sit at the beach area to eat, which looked nice.
I would recommend this friendly little hotel to anyone wanting some quiet time in Candidasa. I don't think you would find better for the money, I think we paid about $40US for an ocean view bungalow with a large balcony.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Coming back again and again to this truly Balinese homestay. We travelled all over the world but never felt more welcome. A place where people really care about you!

• Stayed November 2011
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Vey nice, very quiet, very home style - that what can I say about kelapa mas hotel. Staff is very friendly, helpful an smiley) Location is beautiful - real Bali, with volcanos, rice terraces, amazing landscapes. 4 hours from Kuta though, but I dont like Kuta - for me it is too noisy, too dirty and nothing to do there if you dont go surfing.
You can rent a car with driver there and for a very fare price explore the island - breathtaking views. No swimming pool, but we came to swim in the ocean, so we didnt need it.
Also i can recommend you a place, which called White sand beach-absolutely amazing (!) beach, perfect for snorkling. If you drive scooter - youll get there in 10 minutes from Kelapa Mas.
Rooms are very clean and very cheap. Excellent place for relaxing.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed August 31, 2011

While some may find the entire Candidasa region pretty far, I prefer to be away from the hustle and bustle of Kuta. Kelapamas is in front of a beach. It is very convenient being near money changers, restaurants and shops.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We were living in Jakarta teaching english and decided to fly out to Bali. We didn't book any hotel the first time we went there, as we were given advice from locals, if you hunt around you can find good deals on hotels. We stayed the first night in Kuta and the next day we aimlessly traveled out to Candidasa, as we read on the net it was a nice quiet district. The first hotel we popped in was Kelapa Mas, we had a look around and loved it, so we decided to stay. And ended up staying the whole time while in Bali.

The gardens between the cottages are lush and rich with beautiful walkways between the cottages and leading to the beach. Tall coconut trees sway over head. We stayed in the cheapest available cottage which was plain but extremely clean and comfortable. The cottages are all built from coconut wood which is nice. We didn't have a chance to check out the higher priced units but have heard they are very nice.

The beach is alright. Very small but great because there is a T shaped breakwater enclosing the beach area. Which keeps the water pretty calm. One thing that was a bit sad was back in...well a few years back there was a bad storm in Bali which ripped up a lot of the coral around the south side of the island. There is a lot of dead coral on the beach that keeps washing in. Though it seemed they are actively cleaning and improving the beach area so it may or may not be all cleaned up. Oh and a nice surprise that the beach and water is very clean...no garbage like a lot of Indonesia.

I wouldn't recommend the food at Kelapa Mas. I mean it's okay but, even in my tastes I found that it was lacking. There are a number of other resorts and resteraunts in walking distance that have great food and very good prices. Red Snapper is common and very delicious!

Also I'm hit or miss with the massage at Kelapa Mas. The masseuses have dry scratchy fingers (they work in the garden too). Not something for a relaxing massage. However there was a man, an older man who did massage and was great. I was having problems with my asthma due to the heat and humidity and he kind of fixed me. He was very inclined about the pressure points on the body. He also worked on my stomach which I've had problems with for years. Interesting thing about it is that I didn't mention my problems with my stomach, he found it on his own. Nothing mystical about it, he's just kind of tuned into things.

The staff there are very hospitable. You can have drinks and food delivered to the beach or your room, they will do your laundry for next to nothing, breakfast is included in your stay, they have a small library if you want a book to read, internet (but it was slowwwww).

All in all we were very impressed. Our second visit to Bali we stayed here again and my next (soon) visit will be to Kelapa Mas again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert R
Ommen, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 13, 2011

this year will be the 12th time that we go to Kelapa Mas. Nice peacefull place!!! No swimmingpool, but next door is

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank tanteproet
Wollongong
Reviewed August 13, 2010

We walked in off the street and booked. We were impressed with the gardens - beautifully maintained. Really interesting cottages.
Great location, value for money, great staff.
Only problem - there is no swimming pool.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple