“Lovely!”

Nirwana Resort and Spa
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Candidasa
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Rooms and grounds are lovely. Pool overlooks the sea, comfy lounge chairs. The staff was exceptional. Breakfast was good with an amazing view. Rooms were very nice with comfortable beds. Pretty open air bathrooms. Everything was immaculate, nice turn-down service.

Other reviews are correct about the air conditioning not being quite up to par, though. We had to leave ours running all day for it to be just barely cool enough at night.

Not the easiest location to access Candidasa, either. Guidebooks made it look like it was just outside of town. It was further, and the driveway from main road was very long and dark at night. Not walkable. Hotel claimed they provided transportation to town, but driver was not there during any nights of our stay. Could call a cab for $2 US or many restaurants would pick you up for free. Nice place to stay, but a little isolated.

We got a much better rate booking through booking.com rather than using the hotel's website.

Also, beware, we booked a fast boat through the hotel. The company was supposed to be GiliCat. The driver that showed up took us to some other company and wouldn't take us to GiliCat, nor return our luggage to us so we could leave. Not sure if it was a scam by the hotel or by the driver. Probably better to book fast boats directly through the company you want to use, or if you have a driver that you trust, he could arrange something for you.

Room Tip: Check air conditioning strength. Garden views are beautiful and better value, as you'll have a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I am deliberately writing to provide a review from an Asian Perspective. Generally Westeners and Asians differ in their idea of a holiday.

This is a very laid back resort in an even more laid back location of Bali. It is basically a few cottages with a patio outside. There is a small swimming pool, a restaurant which opens until 10pm , an overpriced small spa and nothing else in the resort. There is no beach at all,

The rooms are cosy, the air conditioner is a 1 HP unit for a big room, so it is almost non existent. The beds and mattresses are comfortable though. The bathroom has a kind of open air bathtub, quite spacious in terms of size.

The breakfast server has about 4 options, American breakfast included. You can get local Nasi and Mee goreng but no buffet at all.

The hotel provides daytime shuttle service to the nearest town which is Candidasa. The town is just a short strip of shops with very few choices.

Getting to Sanur, Kuta, Legian, Ubud and all other popular places will easily take you 1.5 hours or more. Only tourist attraction nearby is the Tenganan Village which is not that spectatacular and pretty much a handicraft centre selling things.

If you get hungry after 10pm, remember there is almost no food available anywhere within a 1.5 hour drive radius. Please stock up if you are the typical Asian supper kind of person.

It is a good place if you really want to live in a very remote location, close to greenery, etc...which is available all over Asia in abundance. So typically this place will be of great interest to those who have less exposure to village life, kampungs, buffalos, etc...

Room Tip: As far as I am concerned all rooms are very close to each other and you can easily hear others at th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Venot V
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed several days at the Nirwana in a Seaview Villa and the place has a peaceful and relaxed atmosphere. Staff is friendly and the restaurant on a good level.

Some imperfections may be mentioned. The aircondition in the first villa did not work well and we had to change.Actually I checked all foru villas and only one had a well working aircondition. There is no beach at all and guest have to accept that there is a pool only for swimming. It is hardly possible to leave the resort on the seaside as there are walls on both sides of the resort. Walking to Candidasa is not much fun as the road is very busy. So there is not much alternative to the place unless guests order transport.

Room Tip: Sea view villa no. 101 has most privacy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robinyy
Reviewed April 15, 2013

At checkin I presented an email with confirmation number of my Booking.com reservation for a 1 night stay made the day before. The young receptionist said they had not received it, and I would be charged again.
I asked for the Manager, and was told this was his day off (Sunday) and that their accounting department was closed as well. The payment conditions on Booking.com stated that payment would be booked to my credit card with the confirmation of the reservation.
Summary: The Hotel's bad managment was not capable of dealing with the payment conditions they had chosen.They should have chosen credit card guarantee at reservation, payment on checkout, or had a 24 /7 facility to check payments recevied.

The seaside setting of the Hotel is beautiful at first sight, but there is no safe beach for swimming, just a wall directly into the sea. Walking along the shore is also impossible because there is no access. The road back to town is better tackled by taxi or the Hotel's driver than by foot.

The rooms were quiet until some deplorable disco or kareoke started up somewhere in the close vicinity in the evening and lasted until after 10 pm.

The food was average, and the general service ok, but my very low opinion of this establishment is based on the fiasco at checkin which took 45 minutes or so without a satisfactory resolution!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ventcap33
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I only spend one night at the Nirwana Resort and Spa in Candidasa, but I really enjoyed my stay at this accommodation. The interior of the small bungalows is very nice, especially the design of the bathroom. Furthermore, the Nirwana Resort has a beautiful location at the sea. From the pool you can have a good view on the beach and the sea.

However, what I really want to point out about the Nirwana Resort is the friendly staff. After leaving it I forgot something at the accommodation. After finishing my trip at the east of Bali I came again across the Nirwana Resort and asked if they might have found it. After making several phone calls and trying to find it, it was not possible as the responsible housekeeping staff was not present at the moment. I left the address of my hotel in Denpasar, as well as my phone number to reach me in case they find it. One day later a service employee of Nirwana was standing in the lobby of my hotel just to bring the found item to me. He came all the way from Candidasa to Denpasar by car to deliver it to me. I was really surprised and happy about it and I am still appreciating the effort, which was made! Thank you!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank IchBinGereist
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Our group went to the Nirwana in January 2013. The Nirvana clearly proofs that you can't rely on pictures on the Internet to judge a place. The access road is a track alongside a farm full of pot holes. Our accommodation wasn't clean at all and whilst I am not too fussy - it is Bali after all - the musty smell of the rooms when the aircon was off (or broken) was very unpleasant to say the least. The airconditioning kept breaking down constantly and none of the employees had an idea of what to do. They kept changing aircon units from one villa to the other, some of them had water hoses permanently connected for whatever reason, the units clearly needed replacing. It was only the pressure of a group complaint that brought the Manager and even then he thought an offer of a free lunch was sufficient. The food is average at best. The staff is friendly and I particularly felt sorry for the receptionist who had to deal with all the complaints. My villa didn't supply a single Bath towel in the 6 days that we stayed (lucky we brought our own). And if you are not a fan of lizzards/geckos don't go there. The roofs are all open and invite visitors. They are so noisy that there is little chance of sleep and no point trying to chase them out because they will be back in the shortest time. There is no beach access at all unless you climb down a wall. The breakfast tables don't have any umbrellas and it is much too hot to sit in the sun. The breakfast room has aircon that they didn't switch on because of the open doors and in 2 weeks we never saw a single beach umbrella by the pool sun chairs. The pool itself offered little refreshment because it was the temperature of bathwater due to being exposed to the sun all day without shade.
There is much better quality acommodation on offer in Bali for the same or better price. Definitely would not recommend this place!!!

Room Tip: Don't go there to begin with
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Margret F
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed here for 5 nights because we wanted to explore east bali without long drives. We had an ocean front villa and our two teenage girls also had an ocean front villa. The resort is small and thats what we liked about it. Even though you cant swim in the ocean in front because there is a large drop and a wall it was still nice to look at the ocean and island and hear it all. The pool was beautiful and because there is not many people here the pool was never crowded.Breakfast was not a buffet like some large hotels but the choices we had were plenty to keep us happy. The staff everywhere were fantastic and very helpful. We walked to town a few times which took us about 20 mins and caught a taxi back or some of the places we ate gave us a free lift back. If you dont want to walk the staff will organise a driver to take you in a well.
The only thing that I thought could be improved was the rooms as far air movement goes. The rooms are airconditioned and they are cool but once inside and your body adjusts to the tempreture it feels like there is no aircon which makes sleeping a bit hard. I think if there was a fan and you could feel air moving it would be perfect. The rooms though are lovely and I found them to be clean with no complaints.
If you want to relax and lounge around for while I think this hotel is perfect and for the money we paid I think it was great value for money.

Room Tip: Ocean front villa is the best choice!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family