“very nice holiday”

Heritage Village Resort & Spa Goa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cansaulim
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Let’s get the easy bits out of the way first. As most correspondents agree, this is a lovely hotel. The staff were always helpful and smiling and nothing was too much trouble for them. The rooms were clean and in satisfactory condition, with the linen and towels changed frequently. The grounds were full of shrubs and flowers in bloom, all of which were tended meticulously by an army of ground staff. The restaurant food was of a high quality, with extensive and varied curried meat and vegetable dishes, while at the same time catering for non-spicy palettes. Morning and afternoon snacks round the pool were too much for our stomachs to take. Our room overlooked the pool area from the main building and was basic but adequate for our needs, although the bed had a thin mattress and so was pretty hard. The room had a wonderful air-conditioner and was convenient for all the hotel facilities. Claimed to be the first all-inclusive boutique resort and winner of numerous awards by Thomson and First Choice, The Heritage Village Club Hotel ranked highly in our opinion, although by now there are more luxurious resorts in the South Goa district.

On arrival at about 4.00 am, due to a delayed flight, we had a warm welcome with hand towels and a cool drink. In fact, it was surreal to have sandwiches and chips served at 4.30 am while waiting for our passports to be checked. The next day, we felt awful but a day in the sun helped this to pass. Evening entertainment was provided each night and consisted of live music plus another feature, such as, a dancing exhibition or bingo or a magician etc. This was the first concern we encountered in that we were desperate to get to bed on the first few nights but found the noise from the music was so loud and continued until 11 pm, preventing us from getting to sleep. After a week, we met the GM at his cocktail party and mentioned this in passing. He promptly offered us an up-grade to a top quality room in the garden suites, out of range of any music. This was wonderful (Thank you Mr Velho) and transformed our holiday. If you can afford the supplement for a garden room and want a quiet holiday – pay for it. The rooms overlook a garden area with ample space for sun-beds, no pre-booking with towels and a regular service of tea by waiters. The rooms are of an excellent quality and well-worth the extra cost. Days passed in a relaxing ambience.

The pool area was where the majority of sun-beds were located. The mattresses were really comfortable but sometimes there was a shortage of them and also too few umbrellas. The grassed area round the pool had bare patches around the sun-beds which became soggy in the morning after the gardeners watered the lawns. It was a congested area unless you rose early to reserve your sun-beds. By 4.30 am, about 10 pairs of beds would always have towels on them in the prime positions, in spite of management attempts to stop this happening. In fact, if you didn’t have seats reserved by 8.30 am you were unlikely to get them at all. Since 80-90% of guests were from the UK and 10% from Russia, there was no obvious demographic imbalance in this practice. There were a few children and several couples under 50 but the rest of us appeared to have an average age well above 65. Warm water made swimming in the pool a delightful experience. The nearby beach was worth a visit for a swim, with the water of the Arabian Sea at about blood temperature.
We went on three trips, the first being Sights and Sounds of Goa. We had probably the best guide we have ever known on a holiday, having a wealth of knowledge and a good control over the day. Lunch at The Marriot Hotel in Panjim was first class and, although it was a hotel of luxury status, the pool area and situation did not compare with The Heritage Club in our opinion. Tours of churches, mosques, markets and breath-taking views made this an excellent experience. The second day-trip started at Margau, the commercial centre of Goa. The inevitable market tour was still interesting and the gardens in the centre were a treat. A hair-raising tuk-tuk ride followed by a train journey to a country house for lunch were great fun. Unfortunately, my wife fell ill from the heat and Delhi-belly and had a distressing return to the hotel. The doctor was called and arrived within 30 minutes to administer two injections and 4 courses of pills. By the morning and £40 lighter, the whole affair was a memory.

The last trip was an overnight stay for three couples on a house-boat on the Chapora River, starting at Siolim. Cooler than the hotel, this was a relaxing 24 hours with good food, catering for spicy and non-spicy palettes. Don’t expect hot water, a plug in the wash basin or the shower to work. We had stimulating company from a Danish and a Swedish couple and overall enjoyed the experience.

Nearly all our meals were taken in the hotel restaurant but on two nights a week the dinner was a buffet by the pool, preceded by the most extraordinary logistical exercise of laying out eating and serving tables with a barbecue as well. Much of the food was the same as in the restaurant. We had three meals at the à la carte Mango Restaurant across the road from the hotel. Eating by candlelight under a gazebo was a very pleasant experience. One of the visits was on my wife’s birthday when the staff made it a memorable event.

The only enduring bad memory of the holiday was of the awful hard seats in Thomson’s Boeing 767 plane. We tried sitting on our neck rests to get some relief without success. An 11 hour flight on an uncomfortable seat, especially in Premium Class, was no joke and left my wife with a bad back for a few days.

Room Tip: Pay a supplement fir a better class room and, if you want a quiet holuday and can afford it, get a g...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jnats1
Guitry_Velho, General Manager at Heritage Village Resort & Spa Goa, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from all of us in Goa!!!

It was truly a pleasure to have you stay with us at The Heritage Village Club during your recent holiday to Goa.

i thank you very much for such gracious comments on tripadvisor. Your detailed reveiw on your stay is highly appreciated by all of us at the resort.

It was an absolute pleasure to have served you.

I am very delighted to know that you found our services to your liking. We are grateful for your appreciative words on our team , our cuisine, facilities , accomdation and entertainment. It was awesome to meet you both at the cocktail party and get the opportunity to interact with you.

Your feedback will most certainly motivate and drive the team and me to keep doing our best.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Goa and to The Heritage Village on your next vacation this side of the Globe.

The Heritage Village Club - Goa

Write a ReviewReviews (1,578)

Reviewed March 18, 2013

hi, most of the reviews are made after the stay...I would like to write about my 1st hand experience going through the reservation. I have to mention about Ms.Deepthi Shetty of Mumbai office in reservation desk of Heritage village goa.I would like to place my appreciation of her courteousness & professional behavior in booking my holiday at the resort. And with this experience ,my expectation of Heritage village club ,goa has gone up. could not wait to visit & enjoy the warmth of hotel staff.

Room Tip: will post after my stay
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank hareef
Guitry_Velho, General Manager at Heritage Village Resort & Spa Goa, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear Mr. Hareef,

Warm greetings from all of us in Goa!!

Thank you for writing in on tripadvisor. We are happy to hear of your good experiience with our team in booking your holiday and we are thankful to you for your appreciation of my colleague Ms. Dipthi Shetty in our regional sales office. It would be my pleasure to convey your lovely comments to her.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you to The Heritage Village Club very shortly.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We have been to the Heritage 3 times now over the last 6 years. This is such a friendly hotel all the staff are very helpfull and happy to be there,
It is clean and well kept, the rooms are nice and most have a good view.
The food is good and fairly varied. They also put themselves out to put on entertainment EVERY night. Everyone works tirelesly to make sure you have a great holiday.
Well done The Heritage Village Club.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank diane d

Dear Diane,

Warm greetings from The Heritage Village Club Goa!!

We thank you for sharing your experience at The Heritage Village Club on tripadvisor.

Your positive observations with regards to our product, services , cuisine and accomodation is very inspirational for all of us.

Our team were delighted to note that their efforts were so well appreciated.

My team and I look forward to your return and hope to be your preferred resort whenver you travel to Goa.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Wow Wow!! that’s tells you everything. We had visited this excellent hotel in February for 2 weeks and just wanted to say a massive thank you to all the staff and the management for an excellent holiday.

We upgrade to grand premium package which did what it said. We were treated to some great premium beverages, exotic sea food, all of this in our all inclusive premium package. Our room no. 516 was a beautiful room overlooking a well kept garden. We visited the mango restaurant which we really enjoyed. The chef arranged beautiful “Lobster Thermidor” for us.

I highly recommend this hotel and the grand premium package where there are some fantastic value add on’s and I have already booked my holiday to this hotel in March next year.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Edward H
Guitry_Velho, General Manager at Heritage Village Resort & Spa Goa, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Very warm greetings from all of us in Goa!!

It was truly a pleasure to have you stay with us at The Heritage Village Club during your recent vacation to Goa.

Thank you very much for your gracious comments on tripadvisor. Your detailed review is highly appreciated by all of us at the resort.

It was an absolute pleasure to have been of service to you.

I am very delighted to know that you found our services to your utmost satisfaction. It is my team's and my utmost focus to serve our esteemed guests with a warm and personalised level of service.

We are grateful for your appreciation of our team members, our services, cuisine and facilities. such wonderful feedback from discerning guests such as you encourages all of us to give it our best.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon to Goa and to The Heritage Village Club.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We visited the Heritage Village in Nov/Dec. last year and have already booked for our next visit this coming November. The hotel is small compared to many we have visited, peaceful, immaculately maintained with some of the most friendly staff we have ever encountered.
The hotel is not directly on the beach, but the swimming pool is a perfect size, with more than adequate sun loungers, an excellent swim-up bar, and a snack bar serving freshly made snacks, with many authentic Indian options.
The beach is just a short walk down a quiet pathway, and stepping over the small bridge reveals miles of glorious , almost deserted sand lapped by a wonderfully calm sea. There is a single sea-food shack, run by a lovely guy, Anthony, who whips up the most delicious king prawn platter I have ever eaten, and a gorgeous banana milk shake- perked up by a generous helping of rum!! One brilliant service from the hotel is the beach towel service. When leaving the hotel gardens via the small security gate guests can sign out the towels provided, and even request a beach mattress, which then simply have to be signed back in when you return- a service I have never encountered before.
The dining room at the hotel is compact, but well staffed, with beautifully prepared food, with plenty of choice, even for those who dont eat a lot of hot or spicy food, like myself- one day good old Shepherds Pie was an option!! Also, at most- if not all meal times a chef was available to chat to, regarding personal likes and dislikes etc.
On arrival we did find that our room was quite small, and at the front of the hotel, so we expected to have a minor problem with noise from the road below, where there was a 24 our taxi rank. This problem just didn't arise- the hotel is in a very quiet location with virtually no passing traffic, and though there were taxi drivers sat by the taxi rank late into the night we didn't hear a sound from them!!
I really cant praise this little piece of heaven enough, and cant wait for our next visit in November, and I think it may well become a regular haunt for us.

Congratulations to everybody at the Heritage Village.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank elifant

Dear Guest,

Very warm greetings from all of us in Goa!!!

It was truly a pleasure to have you with us at The Heritage Village Club on your recent vacation to Goa.

Thank you so very much for your gracious comments on tripadvisor. Your detailled reveiw is highly appreciated by all of us at the resort.

It was an ablolute pleasure and privilage to have been of service to you.

I am very delighted to know that you found our services to your utmost satisfaction and It is my teams and my utmost focus to provide our esteemed guests with a warm and personalised level of service.

We are grateful of your appreciation of our team members , our services, cuisine and our facilities. Such wonderful feedback from discerning guests such as you will certainly motivate and inspire me and mine team to work harder.

Once again , I thank you for your time and look forward to welcoming you back very soon to Goa and to The Heritage Village Club.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Heritage Village Club, Goa: Nice welcome from the door staff until we reached Reception. After my cheery Hello, the miserable man behind the desk demanded passports. Three times! No need. Small well run all-inclusive hotel. Very good food on offer. The rooms are small and basic but clean.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor my brother was above us better view and felt more secure.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ebors
Guitry_Velho, General Manager at Heritage Village Resort & Spa Goa, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Warm greetings from all of us in Goa!!

Thank you for choosing The Heritage Village Club as your hotel during your recent vacation to Goa and also for sparing your valuable time and posting a review on tripadvisor.

We are happy to know that you found the hotel well run and the all inclusive concept was to your liking. We are also happy to have your positive feedback on the food.

My sincere apologies for the incident that occured with one of my colleagues at the front desk. Please treat as a one off abberation that would not be repeated again.

Once again, Thank you for writing in and we look forward to welcoming you back to Goa and to The Heritage Village Club.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

aftr having a brill time we tryed booking for 3/4weeks in feb 2014 for our birthdays ,well not a chance .it doesnt say its full or thay are closed doesnt even give u alt dates very disapointed.the hotel was fantastic the rooms couldnt ask for better and the staff was very very good food well we was spoilt for choise .at the time of this we are trying to book again sadly with difficulty

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Guitry_Velho, General Manager at Heritage Village Resort & Spa Goa, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Warm greetings from all of us in Goa!!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Heritage Village on your recent vacation to Goa, and also for taking the time to write on tripadvisor.

My team and I are delighted to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found the service and facilities at the resort to your satisfaction.

Please write to me at guitry@selecthotels.in and i would be really happy to assist you in booking your holiday in Goa and with us though the proper channels.

look forward to hearing from you and also having more opportunities of serving you on your future visits to Goa

The Heritage Village Club - Goa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cansaulim
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa Goa
The Leela Goa
The Leela Goa
#1 of 10 in Cavelossim
Park Hyatt Goa Resort and Spa

Been to Heritage Village Resort & Spa Goa? Share your experiences!