“Never thought I'd say this”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Abalone Resort

Abalone Resort
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Arpora
Weymouth, United Kingdom
“Never thought I'd say this”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2011

Last year my daughter wrote a rave review on this hotel despite accusations that she was trying to entice visitors to a neighbouring restaurant where she had friends on the staff. This was not true then and is not true now.

Last year we had a great stay and expected the same this year. The hotel was, as ever, basic but clean and friendly with welcoming staff. We were pleased to meet 5 couples who had booked on the strength of my daughter's review.

Unfortunately our half board lasted only 5 days this year (out of 3 weeks) at which point the management decided they were not making enough money from the 200 ruppee HB allowance and switched to "buffet". The first evenings meal consisted of vegetable soup with no vegetables and chicken curry with bones but no chicken !! People deserted in droves and complained to the fantastic Jewel in The Crown Rep. He reported that an a la carte would be re-introduced within 3 days. It was, with the difference that items werre priced at 195 rupees meaning that, if you wanted rice or nan with your curry you passed yur HB (200) allowance !! This is not half board. People , including us , who previously spent more, took drinks and lunch (paying) around the pool.

During the holiday my daughter invited one of the staff of a local restaurant to join her for drinks on her balcony after work (11-12 pm). Knowing the friction between the establishments he hopped over the wall to make his visit, was spotted by the night guard but only identified because he openly sat on her balcony.

Why do i tell this story ? Because we decided to return to Goa for the last two weeks of April but have today discovered that the hotel "refuses" to take our booking. The reason (which we heard about at the time but were not told at the time) was the above !!!

No problem we, will go somewhere else as will the other people going with us on a separate booking.

Short sightedness ? The hotel is still clean with helpful staff, the food this Xmas was VERY poor. Make up your own minds !!!

Amy's review of last year remains her but I'm afraid we will not be recommending it again due to the petty mindedness of the owner.

Will let you know where we end up :)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank LordQuayside

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New Delhi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2010

Had a great stay at this hotel, staff really friendly and helpful. Our room cleaned every day and the room boy and housekeeping staff extremely trustworthy and courteous. Have stayed in Goa many times but a first for this hotel, if we return to Goa this is the place we will stay.
An ideal place for a relaxing holiday, lovely pool and good food. Easy to get around as there is plenty of transport available. About 50Rupees in tuktuk to beach at Baga, about 20 mins walk. This is a family run hotel and the owner, Mr Fernandes, is very accessible. Our request for a quiet room was dealt with immediately and we had a lovely big room. We spent four weeks here in Jan/Feb2009 and never saw one drop of rain!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank nonikahills
delhi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

it was my first visit to Goa so i was a bit nervous about what to expect, however the staff were lovely and made every effort to ensure that i was well catered for and happy, I never once felt anything but welcomed and looked after .The staff were helpful friendly and courteous. My son turned 18 during our stay and the staff arranged for a cake complete with candles and personal message. Our room was cleaned every day and the room boy and housekeeping staff were extremely trustworthy and courteous ..Its an ideal place for a relaxing holiday, lovely pool and good food. Easy to get around as there is plenty of transport available. About 50Rupees in tuktuk to beach at Baga, about 20 mins walk.We had clean bedding and towels every day - and he made intricate displays with the towels - a different one for each of the5 days we were there - the best 2 being the crocodile and the 2 swans. The food at dinner - was 1st class - we only ate dinner outside the hotel once the whole time we were there. It was a memorable holiday/

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2009

Well I'll start by saying we're here at the moment! Having read some of the reviews on here we were very wary when we arrived, not sure what we would get... It's been so good I felt I have to log on here to say how fantastic it is! I'll go through a few things:
Rooms: The rooms are basic but very clean (every day so long as you hand your key to reception) with fresh sheets and towels daily. For 2* it is much better than we were expecting! You can choose fans or air conditioning, ours has fans and that is perfectly sufficient, the nights are cooler anyway! The towels have been arranged on our beds in a different formation (rose, love hearts, swans etc) every day, very nice to come home to!
Food - The food has been superb and you can't ask for more. We have eaten a lot in the hotel having booked half board for about a fiver a week extra each so we could afford to go out if it called for it! We have tried several other restaurants in the area too, but just out of nosiness! For example I ordered a special last night (most meals will cost you 150Rps (2 pounds)/nothing if you have half board but specials you may have to pay extra as the dinner limit on half board is 200Rps) of the lobster which when it arrived turned out to be on a huge platter filling half the table! Complete with rice with small prawns in it, the usual "tomato candle", chips and salad. The presentation and the lobster itself were outstanding.
Staff - probably the most attentive staff I have ever been looked after by, there is no way you will have an empty glass for more than 2 seconds! All very friendly and helpful with anything and everything.
Location - from descriptions we had expected to be in the middle of nowhere but when we arrived we found a wide selection of local shops and restaurants in Arpora (on the doorstep) which provide anything and everything you will need. It is situated on a road off the main Arpora road meaning it is quiet but still with everything close by, and it is on a "back road" of Baga Beach so you can get a Tuc Tuc there for 100Rps/just over a pound and many other beaches can be reached for a little bit more.
Pool - You may never need to go to the beach as the pool is lovely; L-shaped allowing plenty of room to do lengths and a deep end where I haven't found the bottom yet :-) although the local beaches are stunning!
Anything else you want to know I'm happy to answer any questions; drop me a message and I will try and come on the internet again soon!
Until then, I'm off for a fresh pineapple juice :-) Highly recommended!! Oh - and ps, the beer is about a pound for a large bottle ;-)

• Stayed December 2009
2 Thank kindatheartuk
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2009

I didnt think too much of the hotel to be honest when I first arrived and I did ask my Thomas cook rep to show me some other rooms but they were all the same.
To be honest for a 2 star hotel it was clean, comfortable and I felt safe and the staff were always very attentive. I went in December 2008 for 2 weeks with a friend and we had a great time and we are planning on another trip back to the Abalone later on this year.
I went on a B/B basis but to be honest the food wasn't great at this place but there is a hotel across the road (Renton Hotel) which was pretty good and there are loads of bars and restaurants in the area.
The rooms were basic, comfortable and clean. If you left your key with reception they'd make sure your room was cleaned otherwise they wouldnt bother you.
The taxi drivers in front of the hotel are very helpful, they' ll reccommend places to go, sights to see and with these guys you'll save money (much cheaper than booking trips through travel rep)
For cheap and cheerful I'd reccomend it and there are few bars within walking distance and baga beach is 5 mins away by rikshaw and costs less then a pound! Its a bargain!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
wirral
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2009

We stayed at the Abalone for nine weeks 17/1/09 till 23/3/09 and it is our 4th visit. The hotel is basic but adequate. The accommodation can be booked on the internet for £280 per month per person half board. If you knock off the value of the food it works out to £50 per person per week or £100 per week per room two sharing. It is probably the cheapest hotel in Goa but it always attracts some negative criticism. So what do you get for your £50 quid a week? Cheerful helpful staff, good food, your room cleaned as often as you wish, a huge swimming pool which is usually empty, a good base from which to see Goa. Most people arrive at the hotel on a package holiday and so have no idea what they are paying for the hotel. The Hotel is not perfect but at £50 per week per person it certainly has far more good points than bad. Many people return here year after year. I have already booked my flight back with King Fisher airlines India’s only five star airline. My flight is a return (£350) which brings me back to India in January 2010. Now you have the cheapest hotel and the cheapest mode of transport.
Alan Gillam

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AlanGillam
newport
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2009

i stayed twice at abalone appts second time our room was robbed when we were out all the cash from my wifes purse was stollen they didnt want to know food was terrible rats onn the ground floor never again 4 us

2 Thank charliebach

Travelers are raving about these Arpora hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Arpora
Sodder's Renton Manor
#2 of 14 in Arpora
The Rivasa Resort
The Rivasa Resort
#86 of 110 in Calangute

Been to Abalone Resort? Share your experiences!