“Moscow Manor”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Arpora
UK
“Moscow Manor”
Reviewed January 3, 2009

This was our 3rd time in India, love the place. We decided to stay at Renton Manor, briefly visited the hotel 2007 one evening. This hotel is dedicated to Russians 18 to 30. All they want to do is get drunk be abusive to locals consume their own food and alcohol and take drugs. My wife was attacked by one drunk, drugged up Russian just because she wanted to sleep. Security turn a blind eye to all the goings on as well as hotel management.

This hotel has 98% Russians and 1% to 2% Brits. After one week of this torchure our tour operator moved us to a hotel with British people in called the Somy in Calangute, highly recommend. Dont stay in Moscow Manor you will only have the same issues as our selves a family of 4 with 2 boys aged between 10and 11who witnessed all the goings on day and night.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank MAJJRuncorn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Turkish first
Redcar
Reviewed November 26, 2008

Before we went to Goa I read several reviews of this Hotel. Most of them slagged it off, but in my opinion they were wrong. The hotel is cassified as 2 star, so I wasn't expecting much.However although the rooms were rather basic they were clean and comfortable the staff were extremely friendly and very helpful at all times. There was entertainment several times a week and quite a few bars, restaurants , shops etc within easy walking distance.The food and drink in the Hotel like everywhere in Goa were very cheap and good quality although some other places had better food. For some unknown reason the food always seemed to be better in the less well appointed restaurants. The worst meal we had in the two weeks was in the poshest Hotel in the area. So don't be put off by these othjer people we rnjoyed it.

1 Thank BaziRedcar
UK
Reviewed November 25, 2008

This was our third stay at Renton Manor over the last five years. As always the staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. Our room was cleaned (fresh bedding and towels as well) every day. We keep choosing this hotel because of its location (quieter than noisy Calangute) BUT this time we discovered that the Russians have arrived! They are noisy, rude and arrogant - especially in the middle of the night and sorely tried the patience of the staff and especially the security night staff who tried to keep the noise contained for the comfort of other guests. This would not deter us from staying at the hotel again but I would advise other would-be guests to request a room at the back of the hotel instead of a room overlooking the pool because of the middle of the night noise from these inconsiderate guests.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The Russian guests
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Delhi
Reviewed November 6, 2008

In this review...there cannot be any Pro's only Con's....Lets start...

NOT the Prime Location...NO Cabs around...NO beach even in miles of the resort...NO room service....NO options in breakfast....NO Travel Desk...NO advice on where to go in Goa...NO electricity backup....No Welcome Drinks...NO Hot water in bath rooms...

ONLY suitable when you have to use the room for sleeping only...and you own / rent a vehicle to move around...and don't fall for the "Near Baga Beach" line in the Hotel Description...Baga Beach has many more affordable resorts...DON'T FALL FOR THIS TRAP...Ruin your vacation at your own risk !!

• Liked — "NOTHING"
  • Disliked — "EVERYTHING"
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ricky1984

Travelers are raving about these Arpora hotels

South Wales, UK
Reviewed March 3, 2006

We stayed at the Renton Manor this year, having been to Goa 5 years running. Whilst staying there I wanted to buy a gold bangle, so we thought we would give our business to the chap who had a shop within the hotel, thinking that he should be trustworthy. So we agreed a price with him and he made the bangle for us. I was very happy with what he had made, until I got it home and thought it looked a bit dull one day so I gave it a polish only to find to my horror that the gold changed to silver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just wanted to post this information so that nobody else gets caught out like we did. I would also like to point out that we have had jewellery made in Goa before and it was fine infact worth more than we paid.
I would also like to say that the Renton Manor is one of the better hotels to stay in. We found it clean and the staff friendly and helpful.

Stayed January 2006
9 Thank helsfells
London
Reviewed February 19, 2006

We stayed at the Renton Manor at the beginning of Feb. 2006. If you're thinking about staying there then it is absolutely fine. It's basically what you'd expect from a two star hotel in Northern Goa. However, there are a couple of things that would put me off staying there again.

The staff in the restaurant are appaling. We waited half an hour one morning to order breakfast after we'd told them that we'd like to order. The service is so, so slow, which is really bizarre considering that most people sitting around the pool at breakfast only have the self-serve tea and toast. A couple members of staff act as though it's a big hardship to take your order and one man even told us off for saying 'thank you' when we got the bill! He asked why we were saying that when he was just doing his job!

The other small gripe I had was the distance to the beach - it is far! We ended up taking four taxis everyday to go to and from the beach and then to and from a restaurant in the evening. I have to say that this would put me off staying there again.

On the plus side all the local shops are still like local shops that serve the community rather than the tourists and I rather liked that.

The hotel itself was fine, the rooms are clean and our stay there was fine too but I would only stay there again if I couldn't find something a bit closer to the beach and restaurants.

9 Thank GoaVeteran
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arpora
Abalone Resort
#100 of 110 in Calangute
Osborne Resort Goa
Osborne Resort Goa
#40 of 110 in Calangute

Been to Sodder's Renton Manor? Share your experiences!