“Good at first” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Arpora
London
“Good at first”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

The hotel claims to be a 5* deluxe resort, however for anyone used to true worldwide 5* hotel standards (e.g Intercontinental, Shangri-La, Taj, le meridien etc). this resort falls way short of them. It is more along the lines of a 3* or 3.5* being generous.

Good Points:

- Clean hotel
- Clean modern decent sized rooms with balcony
- Spa/health club
- Decent size pool with poolside bar
- Great food at the pure veg restaurant and good choice buffet/ à la carte
- Seperate bath and shower
- Mostly all staff are friendly and humble
- Cheap nightly rate

Bad Points

- Lack of entertainment (karoke/singing/dj on odd nights) but no animation
- Location not ideal, 10 minutes drive minimum to the beach or shopping districts
- WIFI signal poor/non existent in rooms as you get further from reception.
- Certain management VERY POOR. GM and night time reception supervisor incompetent and arrogant.

Initially satisfied with quality of service until my first problem arose. The bed's leg collapsed and I was moved to another room. The new room was not receiving wifi signal. I asked to be moved again as before I booked the hotel I expressed the importance of wifi within my room, furthermore I had already paid £25 for 48 hours internet access. The reception staff informed me I would be moved the following day. This is when the nightmare began, for three days I was constantly promised I would be moved or the wifi would be fixed, the supervisor (who claimed to be a manager) insisted I could not be moved as the hotel was sold out, but multiple reception staff clearly confirmed many rooms were still alternative rooms in the same room type were available. I made it clear I would checkout if the wifi was not fixed upon my return to the hotel and surprise surprise it was still not working, on my request to checkout I was told I would have to pay for the night regardless me moving to another hotel, so I immediately complained to the GM who's response was just as arrogant claiming wifi is provided on request and it is not the room change that impacted the wifi signal and they will take no responsibily, instead of fixing the problem.

There is no excuse, to repeat I made my requirements clear before checkin and paid £25 in advance for these services. For the incredible amount of hassle with no reason what so ever, arrogance and poor attitude - not even an apology! I would not stay at this hotel again, any 4* upwards hotel would have simply changed my room to match my prerequisites or at minimum offer me a full refund for services I have not been able to use. In the end (last night) the problem was rectified by providing a laptop thanks to a duty manager who appreciates proper customer service.

Please avoid this hotel, I will most certainly be looking for a real 5*, one with decent manners and hospitality for my return to goa in December.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank RKK1
Riogoa, General Manager -Sales & Mktg at Resort Rio, responded to this review, January 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

We refer the review posted on trip advisor and would like to comment on your points mentioned therein.
We definitely are a 5 Star Deluxe Resort and 99% of guests who have so far stayed with us have fantastic reviews posted of our Resort.

You have not complained to any of our staff during your entire stay on the wi-fi connectivity and we also did show you the report which we have for the full use of the internet access.

We personally took care of all your requirements and the fact that your i phone was not accepting the signal for wi-fi connectivity,which was solved by giving you a lap top ,so the question of apologizing for no fault of ours is baseless and posting a wrong review just because we did not heed to your request for refund is inappropriate.

General Manager -Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

My family and I booked to stay at Resort Rio for the second time, as our first time at the hotel (2010) was such a nice experience we couldn’t keep away! Our stay at Resort Rio has been the best experience ever.

Service - We were made to feel at home by all the friendly staff of the hotel by their hospitality to their guests.

Rooms - The rooms are nice and spacious, very clean and comfortable.

Facilities – they have a great swimming pool with a bar, a well equipped gym and SPA with a wide range of treatments. We had massages, facial treatments and manicure and pedicures and we thoroughly enjoyed all the treatments!

Food – The hotel provides a wide range of food options including Indian, south Indian, Italian, indo-chinese, etc they also have a pure veg restaurant called Jalsa which has the best thali food I’ve ever had and I’m not even a fan of thali food so I think that says it all. Not to forget the delicious desserts they make.

Overall, this hotel is like being at home, clean, comfortable, perfect for a nice relaxing holiday to recharge the battery. I would recommend this hotel to all my family and friends!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank 181234
Riogoa, General Manager -Sales & Mktg at Resort Rio, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Dear Guest,
We thank you for having returned to our 5 Star Deluxe Resort for the second time and we are grateful and delighted that you have posted your valued comments on trip advisor.Our guests and employees are our key strengths and we all believe that our future depends on the success valued through our services rendered to our guest - innovated ,sustained and simplified ,thus ensuring the time of the life experience at our resort.
We look forward to welcoming you and thank you once again for having acclaimed to have made Resort Rio your second home !
Warm regards,Benedict D`souza
General Manager -Sales & Manager
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

Beyond words can say... over all an excellent hotel...and in addition very well organised, freindly and highley accomadating and well trained staff.

We wanted something special for my partners 50th and booked the Rio Resort apora for November for 2weeks. We have been to Goa now more the a handful of times while this time i did want something special, Before arriving I had been in touch with one of the senior managers Anjana a very special lady... We contacted each other to make arrangements for Davids Birthday before arriving she was very helpful and profesional in her ideas and made us feel everything was in hand. On arrival we were amazed at the quality and high standards of the hotel itself. we selected our room when browsing the website and was given the exact Deluxe room. on arrival the room was clean and so comfortable. The air-con was brilliant and was an up graded one as there was aslo an air vent just under the patio doors which would realise cool air which was a feature and was ideal for a quick cool down if you stood beneath it. a fully marbel bathroom wich was lush with a sculpture above the bath was very suffisticated, we also had a power shower which was perfect and you just couldnt get enough of it as the water was just at the right pressure. The food was perfect and mouth watering and the staff were so helpful and served you as you dined. At one occasion my partner asked for a roast beef dinner, this was presented to us in good time and was delicious as my partner wasnt to sure wether to order it or not in the first place, they had used fillet steak and sliced it so thinley and arranged it on the plate with creamed potatoes, vegetables and suprisingly enough with a yorkshire pudding (impressed) it was cooked exceptionaly. The curries are outstanding and at all times the food was presented hot and highley presented well when delivered. I had also had arranged a cake and breakfast in the room for Davids Birthday. the staff phoned through and to my suprise we had a silver sevice breakfast on a trolley with a Bouque of flowers with a personalised Birthday card for my partner the waiters were dressed for the occasion too, with white shirts black trousers and dark red material satin bands around their waists. we were very impressed. when leaving the hotel and arriving the staff were all ways there to welcome you and made you feel special. We spent alot of time out exploring and riding around diffrent parts of Goa on our mopped (ideal way to travel) all the beaches are merley a couple of km away from each other. we usually visit Bernards and fire and ice for which are highley recommend as eating and drinking places go and sometimes visit KCs bar in calangute. Later on that day after the beach we went back as i had arranged a cake and a chilled bottle of champagne for when we got back to the hotel. Fabulously presented again i got another call from the custumer service asking wether we were ready for the cake... the waiters presented us with a spectacular cake with a bottle of champagne... i must say the cake was to very high standards and going back to the food i am sure the chefs have been specially selected for this astablishment to meet these spectacular standards that we have seen. Further to my reveiw we our considering booking again this year probably April-December and will be booking the Resort Rio again. it has made our experience a very special one and one that will not be forgotten in time to come. i read many reveiws when wanting to book the Rio resort and stumbled across a couple of negatives, i haste to say especialy when people have down rated this hotel for pettie little things such as not having enough (Trash cans or talking about inrtoducing wrist bands) i peronaly find this quite desrespectful when rating this deluxe high standard hotel... everyone is open to opinions, but over all this should not effect the star rating of such a spectacular highley proffesional run Hotel.

To all the staff at Rio

You have made our stay a very special stay and we will always hold this dear in our hearts.
The sevice and high standards combined with your genuine hospitality has made our time in Goa a very special one, We both hope to see you soon this year
Best wishes

Sunita & David

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sunita m
Riogoa, General Manager -Sales & Mktg at Resort Rio, responded to this review, February 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you very much for your kind and positive review of Resort Rio.It was indeed a pleasure to have you as our guests and we look forward to welcoming you again soon!
Your comments on Resort Rio -the rooms ,the food and the service are all very encouraging and highly motivating to all of us ,and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts .
Team Resort Rio
Arlington, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

Rooms in apartments very poor. No lift,no refrigerator, no extra key to room, frequent blackouts.management unresponsive. Poor food choices and very noisy, unable to sleep due to nightly special shows

Room Tip: Make sure it is a deluxe room in main part of hotel, not in the apartments. No lifts, no refrigerato...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
16 Thank Bhasker M
Riogoa, General Manager -Sales & Mktg at Resort Rio, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear Guest,
We take note of your comments posted and would like to note the following mentioned by you to be unrealistic as expressed by you on trip advisor.
1000 families have acclaimed to have made Resort Rio their second home away from the hustle & bustle of the city.Our two bedroom apartment are large with all the facilities like Television,tea-coffee maker,electronic safety vault ,hair dryer ,well stocked mini bar (refrigerator).
We do have a back -up fully automatic main failure generator which ensures that there are no black-outs in case of power failures.We also have a choice of options to dine at during the stay with `Pickled Mango` a multi-cuisine restaurant serving culinary delights from around the world,`Mamma Mia `the Mediterranean experience,`Jalsa` a pure vegetarian kitchen serving Gujarati,Jain ,Rajasthani and South Indian cuisines,`R Cafe Bar ` - a 24 hour cafe serving a choice of alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages from coffee to cocktails.
We have so many of our guests who have valued our services ,and 1000 families have made Resort Rio their second home away from the hustle & bustle of the city and have posted very good comments on trip advisor.
Kharkiv, Ukraine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

Overall, hotel is good, well-polished and looked-after. The staff is friendly. However, there are a couple of points that definitely need improvement:

1. Introducing colored bracelets could solve the problem of dining package identification at restaurants and bars.
2. Having more trash bins could solve the problem of littering on Hotel grounds.
3. Giving individual detailed package infromation to every arriving guest could solve the confusion with included and not included services and dining options.
4. Electronic cards instead of keys could solve the problem of excessive power consuption, as all electricity is turned off when a card is extracted. No more power outages.

I do recommend it, but with all listed improvements to be introduced.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank toosya
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

This was our second stay at Resort Rio, having completed a ten day sightseeing tour of North India.

As soon as we arrived the warm welcome and courtesy of the well dressed and presented staff made us feel like we were coming home, as we entered the huge deluxe room it really felt like the holiday mode just kicked in.

Goa is a relaxing place, the Rio enhances this to the max and you soon forget the madness of the outside world. The whole hotel is maintained and cleaned to a very high standard through-out, our deluxe room with whisper quiet air-conditioning, large bathroom, huge beds and more than enough space with a generous balcony and well stocked mini-bar fridge, was complimented by very good room service.

With several restaurant’s on site including the award winning Jasala (Veg only) you are spoilt for choice and even a full hotel found peaceful areas for dining from early till late. Room service provided quality in room dining of equal quality.

There is a huge pool, set in lush gardens, a mixture of peaceful days, days with music from the bar and some activities now on offer, provided a good varied mix, for all age groups, taste etc.

We celebrated the New Year with other guest and staff, the gardens were beautifully decorated and the food was exceptional and the displayed to the highest standard, with great entertainment and fireworks to finish, the Rio knows how to party.

There is a very good Luxury Spa, although I did not make use of it, other visitor’s spoke highly of the facility.

In summary I doubt you could find accommodation and service of this standard in North Goa at the present rates charged. Well done to all the staff, your who have taken the Rio to perfection in a short space of time, your performance was polished from arriving to departing and this was a most enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: We prefer a hi floor, great views from some rooms, however the layout of the hotel and the standard...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank pirateofthecaribbean
Riogoa, General Manager -Sales & Mktg at Resort Rio, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your overwhelmed response and comments posted on trip advisor and feel proud and highly motivated with your comments.
The vibrant team at Resort Rio believe in providing services of the highest standards and we look forward to welcoming you again for the added luxury Spa experience that you missed out upon!

Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

I work in travel and have stayed in many hotels around the world and this has to be one of my worst experiences. I couldn't wait to leave Goa due to this hotel

Just some of my experiences during my stay...

1. We arrived at Goa airport, we found a very scruffy man lying on a bench with our names. He did not acknowledge us or take our luggage. His eyes were blood shot red, hair a mess and drove 20k over the speed limit. We were scared for our lives

2. Checked-in to the hotel (in a Suite Room) and the floor was dusty and dirty. Found a dead cockroach on the floor. We called housekeeping and they did clean it but mentioned that dust was natural there.

3. We were on an all inclusive plan but don't expect any service from the staff. They don't want to look at you when you enter so you need to go up to them to seat you. Also, they don't clear plates even if they see them piling up on your table. They just won't look at you if you are trying to get their attention

4. Put in our laundry and clearly ticked 'wash, press and put on hangers'. Our clothes came back in a bag and not pressed. We told then that we clearly specified to have our clothes pressed (paid extra for this) & put on hangers so they took them away. They said they would deliver them by 12pm but we didn't get it until 3pm and when we got them, they weren't ironed and we got other people's clothes. Hopeless!

5. We ordered coconut water by the pool and an hour later I asked where the water was and the waiter said that they have run out of coconuts. I asked for the manager 3 times and finally came as he didn't get the first 2 messages. He told us that the staff had been working a long shift and that they were casual staff. I'm sorry but when I am paying 20,000 rupees per night, I don't want to hear these sort of excuses.

6. I got my hair washed & blow dried at the salon there. However, the lady Tina did such a bad job that my hair was so frizzy after, I complained. When I was talking to the girl over the phone when I got back to my room to get a refund, she said to me 'why would you want to come back to the salon to get it fixed if you weren't happy with it the first time?' I couldn't believe what I was hearing. When I demanded a refund. She said that I needed to organise it with the reception as she can't do anything now. She finally went to reception and removed the charge from my bill

These are just some of the bad experiences during our stay and there were a lot more but I don't want to bore you.

The hotel is fine but the service is horrendous so if you don't want to leave frustrated, don't stay here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
19 Thank BNEgirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arpora
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Goa - Arpora - Baga
#11 of 64 in Candolim
Acron Waterfront Resort
Vivanta by Taj - Holiday Village, Goa
Goa Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Resort Rio? Share your experiences!