All reviews tyger valley microwave and fridge table mountain cape town scrumptious breakfast buffet style room rate enjoyed my stay hotel restaurant business hotel hot water rooms are spacious easy access conference
Selected filters
Reviewed May 13, 2019

This Protea Hotel was very clean and comfortable. The entire staff was very friendly, and even arranged a room for me to shower and change before my 2300 flight back to Amsterdam. I spoke with Front Desk Supervisor Aden, and Front Desk Associates Anneke & Tertia. They were all very accommodating and went out of their way to make sure my stay was comfortable.Great team!

Restaurant had very good service and the food was tasty for dinner & breakfast.

Only complaint was no lifts, and cost to/from airport using hotel shuttle was quite high so I used Uber instead which was more economical.

Overall, fantastic stay and I would return if back in Cape Town.

Room tip: All rooms facing the city had wonderful views at night!
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2019 via mobile

I needed to give at least 2 stars, because with the facilities, rooms, cleanliness and comfort there was nothing wrong. I left with a bitter taste in my mouth though because they advertise themselves as “budget” accommodation... but ask R540 to take me to the airport which is 11km away. Saves you on staying there, making all the savings back on additional service. And when I told them I’m not prepared to pay R540 for that, they told me a cancellation fee will apply! I refused.
Thank you for Uber that saved the situation for R129.

Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2019

I have stayed at a number of Protea Hotels and this hotel does not live up to the normal standard.

We had a four night stay and the housekeeping was unacceptable with the rooms not been completed as late as 15:00 in the afternoon. Room services dishes were not removed from the room when cleaned and although coffee is supplied this was not done on some days.

On checkout it was a problem with the checkout staff processing the checkout as agreed on the booking.

Although the hotel is well situated for the area’s that we needed to visit as a Marriott Bonvoy loyalty member I believe that this hotel is overpriced for the poor standard of service offered.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed March 28, 2019 via mobile

Receptionist Michael asked for proof of ID from both of us like we had to prove that we are a married couple. Have never felt so unwelcome by a hotel receptionist. Policy is for all amounts to be paid up front or for a guarantee to be provided, like they do not trust their guests. On top of that, there was a mix-up about the booking. The place is noisy from traffic, bathroom fan and other guests.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Talitadp, General Manager at Protea Hotel Cape Town Tyger Valley, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2019

Good day 591christoph,

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you have incurred.

Please know that according to the South African Immigration Act; we, as an accommodation facility, are required to request and capture valid identification upon check in.

We are dearly sorry if you felt untrusted, however, confirmation of payment is required before check-in.

We will ensure that when you return, that the reservation process will run smoothly.

Regards,

Talitadp

Reviewed March 9, 2019 via mobile

Having read the reviews before booking I sort of knew what to expect but not everything, here are some key points to consider.

* this is more of a motel with many separate 2 floor accommodation blocks. You could be far away and down a bit of a slope away from entrance, reception and restaurant
* it's right on the motorway and even with double glazed windows there is substantial road noise, especially at rush hour
* location is not within easy walking distance of other amenities so if you don't have transport Uber is your friend.
* Restaurant prices are targeting a captive audience, but really suprised the bar shuts at 23.00, but does have a nice view of Table Mountain
* location is close to airport but far from city centre
* room and bathroom was clean. Had to request an iron and ironing board but no issues there
* not a huge selection for what was quite an expensive buffet breakfast

If you're travelling alone, and for a short time this is a place to consider, but if you're visiting as a tourist or with family then this wouldn't be my recommendation.

Date of stay: March 2019