“Basic Hotel Accomodation”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Tyger Valley
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Welgemoed
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hotel is situated close to a motorway, so some rooms are noisier than others. However, the rooms are spacious and clean. They have air conditioning fitted. However, the one I had in my room was not the most efficient. Either it was too small and needed servicing. The Hotel restaurant tends to serve buffet food for dinner and breakfast. I was told that if I wanted to order a la carte, I would probably have to wait at least 45 minutes. The problem with the buffet is, if there is a large crowd in the restaurant before you, the food selection that you might want, may no longer be available.
The staff are exceedingly friendly and helpful and are a plus for the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms starting with number 150 or so, should be quieter as they are more sheltered from the motorway...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Costly internet makes no sense, here or anywhere. 500mb free is nice, but then why so expensive? ISPs such as Axxess sell at R19/gb. All hotel chains ought to supply at, say, R40/gb.

That aside, food was tasty and fresh, staff cheerful and efficient, background music not too loud (mix representing diverse tastes).

Protea generally are excellent.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Hi,
I have been going to this Protea Hotel regularly, about once a week, for coffee and/or a meal for business meetings.
I have found in the past that their service was average and very similar to every other place I'd been to, and we'd even had one or 2 below average experiences.

However, in the last week I have noticed that their service really has improved, and although not yet perfect (can't wait to rate them Excellent!) they are really trying hard. Today and yesterday, their Managers were 'on the floor' asking customers for impressions on service and even went the extra mile today with an issue we had.

Good Luck Management Team, this kind of hard work will pay off. Thanks for today's lunch and coffee :)

Nikki

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Very average hotel - very noise and rooms are loacted far from the main building. I arrived late and found the staff unattentive, room was okay in that it was an upgrade well maintained exceutive suite compared to some of the others rooms I have stayed in at this establishment ..... there is better accomodation in the area, this is a last resort!

Room Tip: Ask for an excutive room upgrade
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Siyanda D, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Tyger Valley, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear POTaylor62

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent visit to Protea Hotel Tyger Valley. Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience you experienced.

Your feedback regarding the noise coming from the highway by no means reflect the high standard of quality and service that we are usually proud to offer. I have updated your profile to always get a room away from the high way if available.

Regarding your feedback about our TEAM members in the late shift being inattentive we highly value your feedback and we have used it constructively to improve our standards

Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence. My apologies once again for the inconvenience caused and thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I see many people complain about the noisy rooms. I can understand that. I stayed here before and that is why I requested, before arriving, that I wanted a room away from the highway. The rooms next to the highway can be noisy indeed. Our rooms were comfortable, clean and not too bad in general. The basin in the bathroom was leaking but we reported it when we checked out. The chef prepared a delicious special, not on the standard menu, pasta dish for us the evening before the race and it was nothing short of delicious. Thank you. Breakfast was also nice, not wow, but nice.

One thing I can still not understand of Protea Hotels though is the so-called Prokard perk of early check-in and late check out, it is always but always an issue and never a pleasure. How come the hotels are always so called "fully booked" and this perk is not available? This should also means that the rooms we booked needed to be ready at 14:00, because the people needed to vacate because the hotel was "fully booked", not so ? How come the exceptions ? I do not understand this. I also gather that that is why they state clearly "subject to availability", that is where the excuse and cover-up lies.

Room Tip: When you book a room, go through the extra trouble and request a room away from the highway - hopefu...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Douw

Thank you for providing us with great feedback and comments regarding your stay.

We definitely do try to accommodate where we can when there is a request for a room away from the highway.

With regard to the early check in and checkout, preference gets to be given to Prokard holders should availability allow.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We booked at this hotel because it was advertised as centrally situated.
From the word GO, it was a disappointment:
We arrived late at night, after a long and tedious day of airports and flights - and we had to wait for 45 minutes outside our room because the electronic key did not work. This frustration continued day after day for the total 4 days we stayed there (you don't appreciate this after exhausting working days!!!).
The rooms are build almost on top of the N2 high way (only 50m away) - therefore NO chance of a good night's rest - while you have to work and be productive the next day.
The rooms and bathrooms are clean, but old and rundown.
We booked for bed & breakfast - but were charged again on departure for breakfasts (which was rather dull and plain - any coffee shop will provide a better breakfast and cheaper for that matter)
In short:
Definitely NOT a good option to stay at!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank EBotes

Dear EBotes

Please accept our apology for the wait while we sorted out your key card. It is unacceptable that you had to wait that long to get access to your room.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I'm in Room 169 which backs onto a 3 lane highway about 50m from my room. The room window is a standard single pane glass, and the roar of traffic in the room is really bad. I asked reception to move me to a room further away from the highway, but the hotel is full they say.
I booked for three nights, but am now planning to check out tomorrow.
Proteas are good hotels and I've had some great stays at others, but this one - never again!!!

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the highway
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Siyanda D, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Tyger Valley, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear MikeLuana

Your feedback regarding the noise from the highway by no means reflect the high standard of quality and service that we are usually proud to offer. I have updated your profile to always get a room away from the high way if available.

Protea Hotel Tyger Valley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Welgemoed
Protea Hotel Cape Town Durbanville
DoubleTree by Hilton Cape Town - Upper Eastside
Road Lodge Cape Town N1 City
Hotel Verde Cape Town International Airport
City Lodge Hotel GrandWest
Town Lodge Bellville The Lodge Hotel

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Tyger Valley? Share your experiences!