“Excellent food, friendly service”
Review of UMAMI Restaurant - CLOSED

UMAMI Restaurant
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, friendly service”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Ate at Umami last weekend and was pleasantly surprised. Excellent food and good wines served by knowledgable staff. Small menu only downside. Cozy atmosphere.

• Visited June 2013

Stavanger, Norway
“Booked:yes - then no”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had booked a table for 9. Some days later we received an email that they did not have room for us anymore. Very disappointing as we liked umami from last time. We suspect they let us down since we had children with us.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank OrjanLavik
Toerie, Owner at UMAMI Restaurant, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Marta made the booking for the 1st of June via e-mail on the 22nd of May, to which I confirmed.
I only realized the next day that we previously made a booking for 27 guests a week prior to her booking, which meant that we were fully booked. The big group's booking was never written down because I know the guest well. Off course I made a mistake by not writing it down. (We are very quiet this time of the year and I didn't think it necessary.)

On the 24th of May I wrote Marta a sincere apology explaining my mistake. She replied "it is a pity, But I understand" and that Umami was her first choice. Marta also asked for other suggestions, and I replied with the names of 10 other restaurants in the area and more info about them.

Marta and her family were at Umami before and enjoyed it very much, but thought that we were not really catering for children.
This is not true. We have a small kiddies menu available, and often have kids at Umami. We do have white table cloths, wine glasses set at the tables, and is seen as a fine dining restaurant by the public. But I have always welcomed children, having a 1 and 3 year old daughter myself!
I think it completely unfair to rate 1 star on Tripadvisor if Marta assumed that we didn't want her group because of kids, and this after replying that she understood our situation.
And she didn't even have dinner at Umami on said evening.

My apologies again for double booking her a week before her dinner, but disappointed in her assumption, and rating us 1 star for an honest mistake.

Toerie
Umami Owner
Stavanger, Norway
“Not perfect, but nice!”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The food was good. This is a small place with few tables. That is good. The atmosphere is nice. We brought with us small children one evening, and this is actually not a good place for that. And the children's menu is not to great.

Visited April 2013
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Fantastic Service & Food”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

i'm delayed in writing this, but remember my meal perfectly - it was very memorable.
i had a tasting menu- each dish was amazing, absolutely brilliant! Wine pairings excellent.
I highly recommend the tasting menu, as Chef's always choose best. Everything we ordered was incredible, especially The Beet Risotto. The service was by far the Best we have experienced in many years, or many countries! Thank you for enhancing our journey through SA

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank mknd
Somerset West, South Africa
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I had lunch here today, but this is not the first time, but it is always excellent.
This hidden away gem is a real find. I think it's mostly locals only,
so you get good value for money. The service is good too.

• Visited April 2013