“Good food and tranquil ambiance”
Review of Wijnhuis

Wijnhuis
Ranked #28 of 271 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is an old favourite of us. It is never spectacular and sometimes the service is slow (especially for drinks, it seems) but the food has always been very good quality, the wine list is staggering in choice and the decor and ambiance is stylish and relaxing.
This was no exception: good carpaccio - beef and kudu - starters and tasty and well prepared lemon veal and calamari as mains. Our only complaint is that the accompanying chips were uncharacteristically oily.
All in all, always worth a visit and nice to relax in their bar lounge after dinner.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I was here with a colleague during a visit of the University in 2011, and when returning to Stellenbosch I decided to have dinner here again. The braised leg of lamb was wonderful. The next evening I returned with a group of university people to have another great meal. Service could be improved, but overall I find this an excellent place for dinner, at a great spot in the heart of town.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

NEVER EVER EVER GO TO WIJN HUIS IN STELLENBOSCH. The place and the owner are an absolute disgrace. Trying to entertain 10 tourists, we had to wait almost an hour for some lunch. Then the EXTREMELY rude owner had the audacity to insult me for being 'impatient on New years' and display a rude, defensive, arrogant and aggressive attitude. He told me and my group that if we are not pleased we can go to another restaurant. He also became aggressive and rude to some of my guests. Eventually the food arrives, half of it is cold and there is fluff in my chips! And the chips are cold! And I only got the ice bucket for my wine when the bottle was emptied!.. There were about 4 tables at the time........ Never spend your hard earned money on this excuse of a restaurant. What horrible service, cold food, and a ridiculous owner. He deserves a smack!

4  Thank Davidds2014
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We visited the Wijnhuis just before new year and have to say that the service was horrible. We were not even greeted by a waiter/hostess at the entrance. Had to walk around ourselves to find a waiter. Eventually ended up at the bar where the bartenders could barely understand english when we ordered two glases of champagne...after about 15minutes I had to remind the bar staff that we ordered champagne as we were still waiting. This place clearly don't know anything about proper restaurant service.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Overall, below expectations - many more restaurants in the area that are more worth enjoying

positive points:
- nice athomsphere
- entree was very, very good

negative points:
- disappointing service, e.g. we had to wait very long and most often had to ask for everything like bread, coffee, napkins (by the way, they were out of napkins), the wine came after the food
- the main course was far below expectations. The lamb cutlets were mainly fat with hardly any meat accombined by tasteless sides (spinach and mashes potatoes)