“I loved this place!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 113 Stellenbosch B&B and Inns
Litchfleld County, CT
“I loved this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

There's so much to see and do, but I had a hard time dragging myself away from our heavenly room at Sugarbird Manor! We looked out over the sparkling pool, gardens, a picture-perfect Jacaranda tree, and Helderberg Mountain. So stunning and peaceful, none of it even seemed real! Inside, every detail said, "Welcome--it's time to relax." Our bedding was cozy and luxurious, and the robes were so comfortable--exactly the right weight for the climate. The towels weren't "just" towels. They were extra-large, thick, soft, all-enveloping bath sheets. The bathroom was equally oversized, with a separate soaking tub, shower, and WC as well as two sinks and an assortment of amenities.

We had plenty of windows for a refreshing cross-breeze, but we could switch to air conditioning when we wanted it. We appreciated so many other details: a flat screen TV, free (and easy!) wifi access, tea and coffee service, and tasty baked treats left for us at turndown time.

In the mornings, the cozy dining room had a tempting selection of coffee, tea, juice, yogurt, cereal, fruit, and baked goods, along with a cooked breakfast. The weather was perfect, so we ate outside.

One afternoon, Ginny, the owner, took us for a tour of the farm and we enjoyed learning about the protea flower exports and her passion for her vineyards. Then I settled into one of the many comfortable nooks around the house and peacefully read a book.

Corne was my idea of the perfect manager: always there when we needed her, but never intrusive. One morning, I was drinking coffee outside, taking in the surroundings. Corne noticed me returning to the breakfast room for a refill; five minutes later, she came outside with a fresh pot of French Press just for my table! Another morning, she overheard us say that we were driving to Cape Town. She immediately appeared with a map.

Last but not least: Sugarbird Manor residents Gabby and Nacho must be two of the friendliest cats in the world. I swear they had a radar for guests (like me) who were homesick for their own pets. Their antics kept me smiling when I needed it most!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Finnish first
Pendock Gloucestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

The views from this hotel cannot be bettered,Our room was spotless and comfortable,the breakfast and staff were excellent.Truely a great place to stay .If in Stellenbosch do not miss this hotel it is a real gem.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the swimming pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

Very friendly service and great dinner recommendations. We only stayed one night, but enjoyed our time. There is a nice infinity style pool with a great view on the region as well as a nice little inside garden. Rooms were small and without a view, but very clean. Breakfast was great. I'd definitely come back next time I'm in the area

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

An absolutely wonderful an charming guesthouse in one the world's most beautiful places. Make sure to get one the "better" rooms with a view towards the mountains (near the pool). Ask Corneille (sorry if your name ist spelt wrongly) for tips about the best vineyards and restaurants around the guesthouse after her amazing breakfast. There is simply no other place to stay in Stellenbosch.

Room Tip: Make sure to get one of the rooms to the front near the pool!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

We an excellent view from the room in front of the pool. The rooms were comfortable and the house is beautiful. Breakfast was enjoyable and we had something different everyday. We also liked the fact that there were a variety of drinks in the pantry where we could get anytime. On the whole, very good value for the cost.

• Stayed November 2012
Shenzhen, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Sugarbird Manor is quiet, peaceful, and amazingly beautiful! I like the views, and I also felt so good when I opened the window, I saw a green hill, and amazing vineyards everywhere, and I heard all kinds of birds' singing, .... Everything is like a dream, staying there, had made my time in SA so unforgetable!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Aileen L
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Sugarbird is a nice hotel to stay. I like especially its beautiful views, the quietness, and the personnel is very friendly, attentive and helpful. I hope next time I spent my vacation there with my family.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends