Sugarbird Manor
  • Breakfast included
Oude Werf Hotel(Stellenbosch)
Stellenbosch Hotel(Stellenbosch)
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsstunning viewsdevon valleyhonesty barhouse catslovely catscape townrooms were spotlessb blovely farmwine valleyhelped us planminute drivewished we could have stayed longermoment you arriveguest housebreakfast was deliciousshort stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I spent a week at Sugarbird Manor, and was thoroughly charmed by the hospitality of staff and the beauty of the estate. Not only did everyone make an outstanding effort to make my stay comfortable, from preheating the bed prior to my arrival and each night thereafter to recommending restaurants and excursions, but also helping me with fixing a damaged car tire. I had amazing views of the countryside from my room (get one of the rooms upstairs looking over the pool), and hot breakfasts made to order and nice local wines in the evenings. Some advice--definitely get a car as local transport otherwise would be difficult and there is no restaurant for lunch or dinner in the hotel.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have access to private terraces and a courtyard, upstairs rooms have nicer views. All rooms are well appointed.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My daughter and I spent two wonderful weeks at Sugarbird Manor last June/July. It was quiet, but quiet is what we were looking for. It is extremely comfortable, clean and beautifully decorated with a nice collection of local art. Our evenings were spent reading and enjoying the owners wine in front of the fire. I was able to make dinner for us on the nights when we did not go out, in their fully outfitted professional kitchen. When there were other guests, we all had great conversations about our travels. My daughter loved the two cats in residence, which eased the pain of missing her pug in New York City. I would highly recommend Sugarbird for your western cape stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Amidst a Protea farm and vineyards, lay beautiful Sugarbird manor. It surely is stylish and very wellpolished and wellmaintained. But somehow it lacks atmosphere and it doesn't provide any "home away from home"-feeling. Maybe it was because we stayed in weekdays in early december and the place almost seemed deserted. Views are spectacular and the pool is awesome.

The best thing about the stay was probably lunch at nearby Clos Malverne. Go for the 4-course tasting menu with winepairing - it is a true delight! Surroundings are lovely with different wineries within a 10 minute drive.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We were disappointed about the distance from Stellenbosch Taxi drive (organised bij the B&B) are very expensive . After 18.00 hours there is nobody off the staff availeble . Eaten at Volkscombuis is a must!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
SugarbirdManor, Owner at Sugarbird Manor, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2012

Sugarbird is located on a 21 hectare flower & wine farm and is approximately 7km or 10minutes from the center of Stellenbosch. Taxi/car service costs R150 each way into Stellenbosch. We recommend that travelers without a car stay in the centre of town so that they are walking distance to restaurants. Wine estates and some of the better restaurants are located outside of town so travelers may need to use taxi/car service at some point during your stay in Stellenbosch. We inform everyone prior to their stay with us that we don't have a receptionist after 5pm and upon check in everyone is given my phone number. I am just a phone call away if anyone needs assistance. We would have gladly found an alternative in town B&B for you if you had mentioned your concerns during your stay. I am sorry that you were disappointed in your stay with us. Ginny Povall Owner

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Sugarbird Manor is a great place to stay. It is modern, clean, nice views and with really lovely and nice staff. The woman at the reception always tried to make our stay the best as possible, giving us indications of what to visit and asking if everything was ok. It seemed honest and that really cared for the guests.
We stayed there 2 nights and spend the days visiting the nice wineries in and around Stellenbosch and eating at the nice restaurants there.
I do not have suggestion how Sugarbid Manor can improve. It has already reached a really high Standard.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple