“Fynbos stay”

Fynbos Villa Guest House
Ranked #31 of 116 Stellenbosch B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We had a nice stay at Fynbos and excellent service was provided by the servants and kitchen personnel. We felt secured by good security facilities at the entrances. Our privacy was respected at all times.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
fynbosVilla, Owner at Fynbos Villa Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear H.J.B
Thank you for your kind words which we were delighted to hear!
We are also happy to hear that you were satisfied with our friendly service - which includes prioritizing guests’ safety and privacy.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Fynbos has warm and friendly staff, very welcoming and helpful from the day of booking to yourarrival and the entire stay. In my winter stay, I felt cosy and warm throughout. I also loved their breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Muhle S
fynbosVilla, Owner at Fynbos Villa Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Muhle S
Thank you for your positive feedback which we all appreciated!
We are delighted that you found Fynbos to be a welcome, heartwarming place to visit.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My stay at Fynbos Villa Guest house was great. The 1st thing that struck my mind was that this was the 1st Guesthouse where I've stayed that had Bibles in the room. Thank you for that. Much appreciated

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lindy C

Dear Lindy
Thank you for your visit and fine observation in our Fynbos rooms. We are happy that you appreciate our efforts and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We landed up in Stellenbosch at the last minute which wasn't part of our plans, and so rang the guest house at 6:20pm to enquire on availability. I specifically asked for a double en-suite room, for myself and my husband. We were told that there were 2 available, and reception was open until 10pm, so we had a quick bite to eat and made our way to the guesthouse just after 7:30pm having reserved a room telephonically. On checking in, payment was asked for immediately (I should have known better but I had a very long day) before we checked into our room. After our payment was processed, we were shown the room, which was a twin room, not double. No doubles were available it turns out. I complained because, I had specifically requested a double, and the student girl looking after reception looked at me with wide eyes and ignored me and carried on with her business saying she was Afrikaans and it must be a language thing (really???). Being bilingual, I can't see how this is an excuse! After I made it quite clear that if payment hadn't been processed, I would have left, I asked for a receipt. She told me I had one from the credit card machine. I had to ask for a hand written receipt and show her how to do it. I work in the tourism and hospitality industry, for many top notch hotels and guest houses. It is quite obvious that she hadn't been trained correctly, which I find a direct fault of the owners, and she is not the one to blame (although a little initiative and listening to guest requests properly wouldn't go amiss).

Now that it was late, we retired to our room. Whilst I appreciate that the owners have worked to retain the heritage status of the property with authentic period furniture, there was far too much furniture in the room. (for ref we stayed in room 2). I know some older people like twin beds, but I am in my 30's, and I hate them, especially when I booked a double. There were so many blankets on the bed in between layers of sheets and duvets that I spent the night fighting with the bedding, trying to keep warm (I couldn't find room heating) without everything sliding off. It was like being back at boarding school.

The bathroom - was generally clean, except someone's shower gel and shampoo were in the shower (or is this hospitality offering?) It was confusing to me why a guest house would put in full size shampoos and bathgel, it doesn't make sense. There are also doilies on the back of the toilet, and the loo rolls are in material drawstring bags. Not hygenic at all and made my skin crawl. Bathrooms should be sterile. The towels were regular size, not bath sheets, and were badly worn and rough. They reminded me of the towels I use when I take my dogs to the beach. If you used the hand towel, the silver fitting fell on the floor. The bathmats had seen better days, and didn't look like they were washed all that often. The shower was ok until the next room showered, then it went ice cold.

One more thing, was that we each had a cup of tea before going to bed, so as a result there was no more milk for our morning wake-up coffee. Please add 2 more parmelat pods to the offering to make it 4 at this price point.

This would have been a 'poor' review, if it wasn't for the lovely breakfast served by a most charming and friendly lady, who really went out of her way to chat and be friendly, and my poached egg was done beautifully, and the coffee was decent. I also enjoyed the way that the fruit salad and yoghurt was displayed. There was another young girl on reception in the morning, who was most friendly and accommodating.

Would I stay again? No, probably not. When I am staying at a guesthouse I would like the owners at least to pop their heads in every now and then rather than leaving the running of a guesthouse to hospitality students who have absolutely no concept of customer service or conflict resolution.

Room Tip: Make sure they know the difference between a twin, double, queen and king room, and check that you g...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BSP-Design-Marketing
fynbosVilla, Owner at Fynbos Villa Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for bringing your personal concerns to our attention. We want to take this opportunity to respond as follows:

* We are pleased that you enjoyed our lovely breakfast, carefully prepared by our friendly chef.

* Room 2 is one of our most popular rooms requested by visitors and the relevant guidelines are strictly followed in regards to the amount of antique Cape Dutch furniture, heating, number of blankets etc. located in our rooms, enabling guests to enjoy it as they personally desire.

* The standard practice in our office is to give our guests a full detailed printed account.

* All rooms are also equipped with a private telephone line with free direct 24 hour access to owners and staff for service and any requests.

* We value each review and sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding caused by the student-trainee.

Kindest Regards

Fynbos Owners and Management

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I spent 10 days staying at Fynbos and would certainly return. The rooms are comfortable and the whole atmosphere makes you feel at home. The breakfasts are amazing, thanks to Abasa, Michelle and Catherine but it is the care and kindness that are really out of this world.The help of Yolandi and Leigh Anne over my lost luggage and all the other requests of our party eg about things to do, places to go, finding addresses and so on was out of this world and went more than the extra mile. I would certainly come back and remember you all with gratitude in the meantime.

Room Tip: There is a great variety of rooms and real flexibiity depending on the size of your group.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tessadevesian

Dear Tessadevesian
Thank you for visiting Fynbos! It was truly special meeting you.
It was only our pleasure assisting you with arrangements - we enjoy going the extra mile for our guests!

We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Thank you again for a wonderful stay and experience. What would we have done without the fantastic care of Leigh-Anne and yolandi and the amazing cooking of Abasa , Michelle and Carherine. My group could not get over the value for money and moreover the hospitality offered!! We will be back , next year isn't soon enough!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Liz P

Dear Liz P
It is always a great delight hosting you and your group!
Thank you for the positive feedback – and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Fynbos is in a great location in the centre of Stellenbosch, The local shops and restaurants are all within a 5 minute walk.
The Villa is very secure and has space for parking on site.
The pool is quite small but the perfect place to just sit and relax with the beautiful mountains behind you.
The rooms have everything you need, and the staff are willing to provide additional items if required.
The staff here are excellent and could not have been any more helpful.
I would recommend if you are thinking of visiting Stellenbosch then Fynbos is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends