The Hydro at Stellenbosch
Agoda.com
$115
$130
$109
The Stellenbosch Hotel(Stellenbosch)(Great Value!)
$71
$69
Devonvale Golf & Wine Estate(Stellenbosch)(Great Value!)
$101
$86
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Lanzerac Hotel & Spa(Stellenbosch)
Priceline
All reviewsswedish massageeco poolblood pressurepower walkdetox programmetai chirecipe bookstrict dietaqua aerobicsfantastic treatmentshealthy livingwarm indoor poolquality treatmentsbudget roomcity lifeheaven on earthspa treatments
Reviewed February 15, 2014

No Service whatsoever. Looks like a mental institute from the inside. everything is 30years old. food has sand in it. Can't get any food after 1900. Nothing. no minibar, no Coffee, no alcohol, front desk not picking up the phone, roof falling off some places, sunbed covers too small so you burn your limps against the black metal that it is made off. We are leaving early, skipping paid for treatments even.

• Stayed: February 2014
7  Thank Yuri-Arcurs
Stian T, Manager at The Hydro at Stellenbosch, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Guest

In the consultation where the treatments and services were being explained to you, you showed the Consultant the utmost amount of disrespect by taking pictures of your girlfriend in the consulting room. Any attempt to speak to you was met with aggression and disrespect. Had you given us two minutes to speak to you we could have explained that you were at a Health Hydro and not your local pub.

Hydro Management

Reviewed February 9, 2014

My wife and I booked a night at the Hydro, this past weekend. Upon our arrival we were told that the full amount for the booking is still outstanding. We told them that we paid the deposit Friday all ready and emailed the proof of payment to their reception desk. Somehow nobody received the email. So the guy at reception said he will sort it out later, and proceeded to check us in. He asked if it is our first stay at the hydro to which we said yes. One would think that he would at least show us around or explain where what is? On our booking confirmation it said that lunch was included in the deal. We were asked if we are going to join them for lunch, just to be informed that it would be R100 pp extra. We told them that the booking stated lunch was included? The guy then said, only the lunch on the day of departure is included...weird.

The porter was very friendly, he took us to our room and showed us around the room, after I gave him a tip he left. So we explored the room. We were told by reception that a lifestyle consultant will be with us shortly "she is just busy at the moment " We waited in our room for over an hour, and nobody pitched up. The state of the bathroom was poor at best. The bathtub is stained and had hairs in it!! The shower mechanism is totally unacceptable. The taps sits on the side of the bath tub, from there you take the shower pipe and insert it into a wall mounting behind you. So now you shower with a pipe hanging in the middle of nowhere and at times under your arm and everywhere uncomfortable...Not to mention the state it was in...old and leaking, really disappointed that "SA's premier health spa" offering such poor quality. The toilet sits a corner, it reminded me of very cheap student accommodation, where there is literally no space for anything. Furthermore the toilet was leaking!! A permanent pool of water surrounds it.

We received a welcome note in our room stating the times of our treatments, after we spent more than an hour waiting, it was nearly time for our treatments we set off to the reception again to ask were the consultant is. This time there was a friendly lady, who helped us. She quickly gave us a show around an explained how everything works and where what is. We felt more at home. She took us to the spa area which I must add, is very good and looks very professional.
She proceeded to take us to the lifestyle consultant's office where we asked a few questions etc. We had massages booked and I must say it was very good. My wife who is 8 months pregnant was treated very well and from what I hear from her, they went out of their way to accommodate her. Thank you for that.

After our treatments we wanted to order on of the vegetable juices they offer you. You are allowed 3 juices per day. We went to the area where the juices are made, and waited, and rang the bell for service...but nothing. We then just drank some tea. Later the afternoon we finally got some service. Another guest asked about the soup served for one hour, to which the lady very rudely said "soup is only served until 4 " We got our juices and sat in the lounge. The service is not good and I must agree with kelly g, there does not seem to be a manager on duty or someone who looks to be in charge, all the staff just carries on doing what ever it is they do everyday.
We went for a swim in the heated pool, which was nice. You are asked to shower before you enter the pool. I got to the shower just to find the soap dispenser broken. I proceeded to just rinse myself.
Dinner came and we were greeted by a lady standing at the food area with a clipboard. While leaning on the counter she ticks your name and does not say a word and stares at you while you dish! After we ate salads and went back to plate some veggies, our plates were removed together with cutlery, so we had to take cutlery from the other tables as the lady was now nowhere to be seen. The food was very good, and we were impressed with the combinations in the salads.

After dinner we went to our room to relax. When we opened the door we found an envelope slid under the door. It was our account, which still stated that we owe the full amount?? My wife went to reception to inquire, but was told that they still cannot find the proof of payment email and that we can sort it out the next day. We got in bed.... where we found a huge hair in the bed! That hair most certainly did not belong to me or my wife! Disgusting!

The following morning we got up and opened the windows. The left window's opening mechanism is supposed to be fastened with 4 screws. One was missing and the other 3 was very very loose. It felt like it could fall off at anytime.

We went to breakfast and enjoyed very good food. Once again compliments to the chef.

After breakfast we went to check - out. Our account was still the same. We then logged onto our internet banking and printed a proof of payment, settled the rest of the bill and left.

I do not like to complain, having worked in the hospitality industry for many years I know you get difficult clients who complains about everything. But in this case I felt I had to. Especially after the amount of money we spent. The above might sound to good to be true, I just wished I took pictures.
The Hydro is very dated, which not necessarily a bad thing, but please make sure everything is working, clean and on par with 2014 standards. It seems that The Hydro can do with a proper facilities manager, someone with an objective viewpoint.

I will not stay there again nor do I advise people to. Visiting the spa as a day guest will probably be better.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Riaan v
Stian T, Manager at The Hydro at Stellenbosch, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you again for taking the time to give us an extensive review. As discussed telephonically The Hydro close for annual renovations in May 2014, and the room you stayed in forms part of our planned renovations. Service delivery plays a crucial part of any guests experience and I can assure you we continuously strive to improve in all areas of The Hydro to ensure a memorable visit.

I hope after our conversation you would return to the Hydro and experience the new changes after the planned renovations.

Thank you also for the positive feedback. Our nutrition and treatments plays a significant part of our philosophy.

Kind Regards
Stian Terblanche
Hydro Manager

Reviewed January 12, 2014

I am just back from staying 7 nights at the hydro, my friend and I shared an executive room, which was clean and tidy but pretty dated, however the rains came during my stay and along with that water was leaking from the coving straight on to my headboard. Seemly it's been like that for quite a while but nothing gets done to repair the problem I and my friend between us booked about 20 treatments 9 months ahead, and you would think that they would give you a few treatments each day, however your not told your next day treatments until about 9. PM each evening, a note gets pushed under your door, it says if you wish to change any treatments you need to inform the spa reception desk 24 hrs ahead bit impossible to do that if your only receiving your program the night before. We had a variety of treatments but those that do the booking in of them, are pretty rubbish at it , for instance I informed them as I arrived on sat 4th Jan that we did not wish any treatments on the day we were leaving this being 11th Jan but what do they do book appointments for us on the 11th , some days we were being given 2 of the same treatments such as a swedish massage in the morning again in the evening instead of spreading them over the week. I will add that the therapist Lynn Clark is extremely good at her job, some of the other therapists are not so good and cheat you out of your allocated time, by arriving 5 mins late and finishing a good 5 mins early. The food is fresh and consists of fruit and vegetables only try as they might it became pretty boring. Fish would have been a nice addition to there menu. Your allowed as a resident 3 small glasses of vegetable/fruit juices a day or 1 large glass, the worker behind the serving counter is quite rude to guests whether your staying there or just coming in as a spa day person,I heard a lady asking for a juice she was told in a very unfriendly way that day guests could not have them, the woman offered to pay for it but again in a very of hand way she was told she can't pay or have one. As for me I on one occasion asked the same girl for 1 large juice, and she told me extremely abruptly that I can't come back for any more that day, which I already knew. Also this lady puts out the tea cups for the herbal tea,they serve to residents each evening, you help yourself to the teabag and hot water, on one occasion I asked her for some teabags , she told me that I had to wait till 10 to 7 before she puts them out, again with a very bad attitude, so I waited, 7 pm came still no teabags she could see me sitting there, at 20 past 7 my friend asked for the teabags , with a look that would break glass she put her hand under the counter and produced the teabags, if I was her boss I would fire her,as she is certainly no asset to the hydro, talking about a boss there seems to be no management around in which to air any complaints one might have. I was not expecting a 5 star hotel, I knew it was a health farm but my advise is stay in a good hotel in stellanbosch and come there as a day guest, or if you can find some where else .would I return there again what do you think?

Room Tip: They are all dated and as I said rain came in
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank kelly g
Stian T, Manager at The Hydro at Stellenbosch, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Guest

I appreciate your honest, constructive feedback and the very valid points that you have raised. Rest assured that your comments have been addressed with the relevant departments and I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

The roof water leak in your room was an isolated problem and was addressed as a matter of urgency. We strive to blow away each of our guests that visits the Hydro and to let them leave with recharged spirits.

Thank you for taking the time to wright about your experience.

Yours sincerely
Stian Terblanche
Hydro Manager

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Treatments great, but so are the local beauticians treatments in
Stellenbosch. The hydro should have something that is unique which it does not have! Food was average. Had better health food at for example Hoogland health hydro. Rooms average. No tv so one can have a little entertainment at night. Overall boring. Treatments are over at 1 pm then what? Suggest one stays at another hotel in Stellenbosch who will give you must more for your money, and then just go in to this health hydro for treatments daily. If you are wanting to loose weight and be bored then go to this Hydro.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Dianne R
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

If u r looking for a hotel where u want tp get away, find yourself, where your health, relaxation and rejuvenation with a healthy vegetarian diet are things that is important to you, then this is the place! Different from ordinary hotels set in the beatifull I'd as valley
The concept for healthy eating and living id excellent, however they can lighten up the rooms a bit more coz it looks a bit dull.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo