“Great Place to kick back and relax”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stellenbosch
The Hydro at Stellenbosch
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Durban, South Africa
“Great Place to kick back and relax”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Ideal place you can go and relax, great service and very relaxing , the staff was excellant and we enjoyed our break

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank James T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Since I haven't been to any other health resorts before, but try to come here every year, I don't have anything to compare it to. The good side for me is the fact that you are not tempted to 'be bad' when you stay here. There is nothing to drink but water and water with fresh herbs or water with lemon. Fron 6pm you may have black "rooibos tea" until the resort is almost literally 'rolled up and packed away for the night' at around 8pm. The lite diet consists of only fruit 3 times a day, or the normal salads and a baked potatoe or wholeweat/wholegrain bread. The therapists and rest of staff are extremely friendly, polite and helpful. The treatments are of a high standard and the setting is beautifull. During the past 2 or 3 years they have also upgraded some of the facilities.
One of the the down sides for me is the 'hospital' feel. I am fortunate to travel and experience many great hotels, maybe this sould not be compared to a hotel at all. The admin seems to be a bit of a problem for them as well, check and double check your bill, treatments booked etc. Changing meals need to be done ages in advance. I had to take medication and did not want to do it on a empty stomach, but it is almost impossible to find something to eat quickly in such circumstances. This almost made me get in my car and head to the closest hamburger joint! And they obviously do cash in on the fact that you don't have the self discipline to stick to a regime like this at home. We were in a superior room, and although this would qualify as merely a 3 or maybe a 4 star standard room in a hotel, the cost for 2 adults was more than R3000 per night. but this is just my personal opinion. Would I be back next year? I don't know....

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sonkoppie
Dimitri-Constant, General Manager at The Hydro at Stellenbosch, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
I would like to thank the reviewer for her compliments however there are a number of items in this review that need clarification.

The Hydro at Stellenbosch is not a hotel, it is a Wellness Destination with an excellent global reputation. It is not possible to compare our facilities with a hotel. Guests visit The Hydro to detoxify and relax but also other reasons. The Hydro provides an environment suited for the development of sustainable wellness habits leading to a state of preventative health. The emphasis is on the treatments and therapies which are of a global standard as well as on nutrition, we provide a low GI diet which is nutritious and well balanced. Our diets are perfectly suited for diabetics. We encourage the consumption of water and offer our signature tea made with cinnamon and ginger with options to add lemon, raw honey and various herbs. This tea is a strong immune booster. Rooibos tea is only offered after supper. In addition, we serve fresh vegetable soup every afternoon as well as in the evening. The bread we serve is low GI and baked daily. The Hydro does not provide a hospital feel at all, the environment is comfortable and picturesque as well as peaceful to allow for complete relaxation. This is a wellness spa environment situated in the tranquil Idas Valley a National Heritage site. We also do not have admin problems. Guests check-in on wellness packages including all services, accommodation, meals, the use of the facilities as well as set treatments. These packages can be fine-tuned to meet the specific requirement of each guest and additional treatments can be added to the original package. Our doctors in naturopathy advise each guest on the best options to meet individual needs. Schedules are prepared daily and guests may make changes but this can be challenging and requires enough notice to do so. The meals are served in a controlled environment to allow proper detoxification and controlled weight management. Meals are delicious and served in a buffet format. The rates mentioned in the review cannot be considered in a standard hotel setting. Our rates include all facilities meals and treatments as explained above. Most hotels quote for accommodation and one meal only, we include everything upfront as our packages are designed with specific aims in mind. Our website offers a comprehensive description of our services, our rates a very competitive.

Dimitri Constant, General Manager
Suffolk, England
Reviewed February 13, 2010

This was our second visit to the Hydro after a gap of three years. We found many facilities improved and our room entirely satisfactory.
Guests came from Belgium, Britain and Denmark as well as from the local area tro destress, de-tox and lose weight in a controlled manner with moderate exercise.
Our stay wasn't trouble-free -- we were critical of some of the scheduling of treatments -- but in general we found the staff professional and helpful.
The atmosphere is of total relaxation between sessions of walking -- the forest is growing back -- hydrotherapy, massages and other treatments. Punctuality is first-class.
The setting is gorgeous, amidst the vinelands of the area, and climate perfect in the mid-20s.
We know of no better health spa for a major tune-up that leaves you totally refreshed.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank karlcars
cape town
Reviewed August 27, 2009

if you are serious about your health and are self motivated and not needy this is for you, the sister will not save you from all your problems. It is peaceful and they offer absolutely everything you need to detox & destress. It is not pampering luxury but a real health farm. If you want luxury go to the Arabella or the 12 Apostles but be prepared to pay a whole lot more.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gjonesCapeTown
USA
Reviewed January 11, 2009

I've been going to The Hydro for 14 years. I travel thousands of miles from the U.S. and can't wait to get there. I go for my general health. When I arrive, I meet many people just like me who have been coming for years as well as first-timers. I eat a healthy diet, have daily massages and hydrotherapy. There's aquasize twice a day in the indoor pool and thrice-daily walks in the woods. I can order extra treatments, too, and they always are wonderful. I can relax in my room, in the general lounge, in the beautiful gardens or by the outdoor pool. Rooms are nicely appointment with all the toiletries you might need, but who spends much time in them? I always leave here refreshed and looking forward to my next visit. And everyone I've brought here loved it too! This isn't a hotel -- it's a total experience.

Stayed January 2009
3 Thank LovestheHydro
london
Reviewed January 10, 2009

Very puzzled by some of the recent reviews for the Hydro. The setting is stunning, the staff professional and very friendly, the food excellent as are the treatments, and the rooms very comfortable. For a break from stress it is difficult to imagine a place more relaxing. It is a serious health spa so don't expect a glass of wine in the evening.
This was our second visit and both times the atmosphere was excellent.

• Liked — extremely comfortable
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Illyria-lady
Durbanville
Reviewed May 6, 2008

We were heartily welcomed by all early morning. The professionalsim & honest friendliness were most welcoming & heartwarming! We felt at home from the word GO! All treatments were of absolute outstanding quality & the food and drinks were of high standard & nicely prepared & presented.
The rooms were EXTREMELY WELL PREPARED to say the least and the fiews were beautifull!!
I will be back & can recommend this spa to all - from the youngest of love-hearts to pensioned singles..!!
ENJOY!!

• Liked — Treatments
  • Disliked — To leave
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple