“Poor reservation service spoils potentially exciting dinner"”

Neethlingshof Estate
$360.90*
Cape Winelands Private Day Tour from Cape Town
Ranked #17 of 144 things to do in Stellenbosch
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Having been there once before for breakfast, I was looking forward to eating dinner there. However upon booking for the following night, I was informed that the restaurant was closed, although according to the information provided on the website, it was supposed to be open. When asked why it was closed I was informed that it was not financially worthwhile to have it open if no reservations were made, to which I responded stating that nobody would reserve if they tell this to everybody phoning. I was put through to the manger, who informed me that it was closed in order to give them time to address hygienic issues. I find it quite strange that I was given two different reasons. Ironically the day after the booking, is a vacation day, therefore rejecting bookings would allow the personnel to avoid long working hours before the vacation day.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

We recently had a meal at the restaurant. The surroundings are breathtaking although the Stellenbosch area is known for its beauty. The food was great but spoilt by the poor service. The waiters were either overworked or underpaid or both. We had to seat outrselves; we had to call a waiter to be seved; We had to ask a waiter for bread (normally served with a meal); and when a waiter spilt water on our table, we had to ask him to wipe it up. At no time, did anyone come to ask us if everything was OK. We definitely will not return nor recommend. There are too many wine estates eager for your patronage.

2  Thank vickyed888
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Nothing special, there are plenty of better wine farms to visit in the area.

1  Thank Froggy23
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Beautiful setting in vineyard. Always good food in lovely environment .

Reviewed January 27, 2012

you cannot imagine that the wine side of the long Dutch Style house is a stylish and glamour location where you can sip some of the best wines of the Valley. we did stop for a while only because we were been told of their wines, and we were very surprised in finding such a glamour location and wonderful wines. we did appreciate at all. and ship 12 bottles at home!