“student life”

Johannesburg, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“student life”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

got to be one of the most beautiful universities in the world. easy access to well maintained historical buildings. a treat for any student. walking distance to all eating places and shops. ideal

Visited July 2013
1 Thank tracey b

• Turkish first
Stellenbosch, South Africa
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Stellies is awesome!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

It is the best University I've studied at. The people there are diverse, the campus is beautiful and it is a stone's throw away from the famous Stellenbosch wineries...The only thing there that I did not like were the beggars, but they are a part of the Stellenbosch experience, especially a beggar lady named Moksie. What a hoot! Also there are many quaint restaurants and historical buildings around. Also Stellenbosch, being a university town has many pubs, bars and clubs for those who enjoy a night out on the town. Also do check out the JS Gericke Library on campus, it is a wonderful underground library...

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Marikavn
Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“At the University”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stopped there to buy t-shirts for our grandsons. People were lovely - but it was between classes and crowded in the bookstore. They didn't charge us for parking tho - we weren't there long enough!

Visited May 2013
Klein Brak River, South Africa
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“the whole town of Stellenbosch, the beautiful streets, restaurants, and the best library at the Stellenbosch University”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

A good place for visitors to experience a town full of young vibrant students, beautiful old buildings and lots of restaurants. And for tourists there are so many good shops for curio's but also for clothes and especially for GOOD ART.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Antoi9
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Racist & Substandard! Don't waste your money!”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stellenbosch is one of the most racist places I have ever travelled to in my life! I have travelled all over Europe, North America, and South America, and have spent many years living abroad as both a teen and an adult, and I have never been to a place that was as bad as Stellenbosch.

There was a squatter camp a few hundred yards from my "upscale" apartment. It seems like almost everyone in South Africa has a propensity to be dishonest and exaggerate how "great" South Africa is, and how their facilities are up to western standards. They aren't.

The above I could have handled if the racism wasn't thrown in the mix.

I wouldn't recommend going there for travel or studying. I have a 3.6 GPA in the sciences from a top rated university outside of South Africa and deciding to study abroad in SA was one of the worst mistakes of my life.

They think all black people are stupid and they will treat you that way. The professors I worked with were racist and incompetent. One of them even went out of his way to try to destroy my reputation with my references after I started standing up for myself.

Insults were the norm.

Stay far far away from Stellenbosch if you're planning to study abroad and if you want a quality education! There are plenty of other schools that are much higher ranked - and more importantly - recognized internationally. Don't study at Stellenbosch!

Visited June 2012