“very average”

$41.37*
Vine Hopper: 2-Day Hop on Hop off Wine Tour Pass from Stellenbosch
Ranked #4 of 143 things to do in Stellenbosch
More attraction details
Owner description: Spier is one of the oldest wine farms in South Africa, with a recorded history dating back to 1692. Spier's winery has won multiple awards in recent years, including Producer of the Year (Mundus Vini, Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show 2011). We also performed exceptionally at the 2011 International Wine and Spirits Competition (five Best in Class Gold medals and two trophies), and were the top performing SA winery at Concours Mondial de Bruxelles for three consecutive years. The Spier cellar has ISO 22000 certification, is Fair Trade accredited, organically certified and follows the Integrated Production of Wine (IPW) criteria.
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I spent 2 nights in Spier Hotel and wine estate. I have to say, out of the 4 places in SA I stayed, this was the worse. It is far too big and corporate. The room was nice, the toilet stunk. I rang and asked for it to be fixed, it never was. The staff were not the most welcoming, the only person we really got on with was the pianist! I am sure there are other much nicer places to stay in what is a beautiful area. Not recommended.

Spier_Hotel, General Manager at Spier Wine Farm, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Thank you for your honest feedback, it is through comments like these that we can understand where we can improve our delivery on your expectations.

It saddens me to hear that we have not been able to delight you here at Spier, and I wish to ensure you that we taken the points raised serious to better our service.

Indeed a part of our business is aimed to satisfy the need of our corporate guests, however with the layout of the hotel as a village this has not before been a distraction from our individual guest's experience. We will try even harder to deliver a more personalised feel to our individual guests going forward.

On your next visit to Stellenbosch I would very much like to have the opportunity to show you the improvements we have done and hear from you if we have succeeded.

Warm regards,

Joep Schoof

Spier Hotel & Leisure

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I went to Spier for a conference and every night had a wine taste. I just love that wines. Unfortunately I couldn't bring more bottles to home.
One of those nights we had a dinner with typical foods and a really funny show of African music. The funny thing was the 'band' playing paper instrument with a playback, and inviting the people to dance.
At least for he conference its a nice place. I want go back to Stellenbosch to know better this winery.

It is such a pleasure to read your feedback, rest assured that if you would like to purchase more Spier wine, let us know and we will find a way to transport to you in Brazil!

Please do let us know when you are planning to come back to Stellenbosch and we will gladly have you back here as our guest.

Warm regards,

Joep Schoof
Spier Hotel & Leisure

Reviewed November 25, 2013

My last visit to Spier was some time ago - I simply thought it was an overpriced and overcrowded place for a wine tasting.
I still have the feeling that Spier is "to much" - but I was impressed by their (new - at least for me)chocolate wine tasting - they did a real good job !

Reviewed November 25, 2013

What a wonderful concept they have here. I have been to the open areas many times and the restaurant a few times and their theatre when it was still going. Attended their 'Great Gatsby" live preformances out on the grass and a stayed in the hotel. I LOVE this place and my daughters and I often go there when they are here, just for the fun of it. It is so relaxing under the trees on a Sunday afternoon and the live music at night with the fires going in huge drums. I am fortunate to live close by. I always find the staff friendly and attentive. Their little gift shop is amazing and the wares are unusual and innnovative. I love the place.
They have the wild birds, a vulture program and a eagle demonstration for guest coupled with the Cheetah outreach and the owls are facinating. . There is a open picnic area with a deli where you can buy snacks or a basket of food for the picnic and the wonderful wine tasting for the ones who would like to got there. Their day spa is wonderful and they have a huge pool attatched to the hotel for guests.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I was taking a group of international students to Cape Town and wanted to stop by and give them a taste of the Stellenbosch before heading off on our way. I thought Spier would be good as it's close to the highway, has the bird outreach and is a well known brand. I must say I was very let down by the way we were treated. After seeing the birds we headed to the tasting room, were directed to a table and informed on the prices of tasting (around 15-20 ZAR a basic wine). This was far more than any other wine tasting I've experienced anywhere in South Africa - and there are much better wines on offer elsewhere. When I inquired about the possibility of buying wine and cancelling out this fee (which is standard in EVERY other winery I've visited) I was told you must spend several thousand rand each. I was shocked by this as we had a large group and potentially a lot of business for them, I know I would have bought at least a couple of bottles myself.

As we were already there and had no time to visit elsewhere I thought we'd give it a go in any case - but no one came to serve us - I'd already mentioned we didn't have that long on the way in but this was ignored. Finally after waiting for around 15 mins we'd had enough and decided to leave, only to have our exit blocked by the manager who accused us of stealing our wine tasting. She said our glasses were dirty and we must paid, unless one of us had breathed on one I'm afraid she was very much mistaken. She was extremely rude and refused to hear how we'd been ignored. I will never return to the estate and I will never take another group of students there, furthermore since that day I've made a point of choosing any other wine on the menu or in the store I can find. There are much more welcoming places in the town and South Africa has much more to offer winewise than Spier. I only hope others haven't been put off SA wine in the same way my students could have been by this experience, a true letdown.

6  Thank OJewell