“Spier experience”

$40.60*
Vine Hopper: 2-Day Hop on Hop off Wine Tour Pass from Stellenbosch
Ranked #4 of 144 things to do in Stellenbosch
More attraction details
Owner description: Spier is one of the oldest wine farms in South Africa, with a recorded history dating back to 1692. Spier's winery has won multiple awards in recent years, including Producer of the Year (Mundus Vini, Old Mutual Trophy Wine Show 2011). We also performed exceptionally at the 2011 International Wine and Spirits Competition (five Best in Class Gold medals and two trophies), and were the top performing SA winery at Concours Mondial de Bruxelles for three consecutive years. The Spier cellar has ISO 22000 certification, is Fair Trade accredited, organically certified and follows the Integrated Production of Wine (IPW) criteria.
Reviewed November 25, 2013

What a wonderful concept they have here. I have been to the open areas many times and the restaurant a few times and their theatre when it was still going. Attended their 'Great Gatsby" live preformances out on the grass and a stayed in the hotel. I LOVE this place and my daughters and I often go there when they are here, just for the fun of it. It is so relaxing under the trees on a Sunday afternoon and the live music at night with the fires going in huge drums. I am fortunate to live close by. I always find the staff friendly and attentive. Their little gift shop is amazing and the wares are unusual and innnovative. I love the place.
They have the wild birds, a vulture program and a eagle demonstration for guest coupled with the Cheetah outreach and the owls are facinating. . There is a open picnic area with a deli where you can buy snacks or a basket of food for the picnic and the wonderful wine tasting for the ones who would like to got there. Their day spa is wonderful and they have a huge pool attatched to the hotel for guests.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I was taking a group of international students to Cape Town and wanted to stop by and give them a taste of the Stellenbosch before heading off on our way. I thought Spier would be good as it's close to the highway, has the bird outreach and is a well known brand. I must say I was very let down by the way we were treated. After seeing the birds we headed to the tasting room, were directed to a table and informed on the prices of tasting (around 15-20 ZAR a basic wine). This was far more than any other wine tasting I've experienced anywhere in South Africa - and there are much better wines on offer elsewhere. When I inquired about the possibility of buying wine and cancelling out this fee (which is standard in EVERY other winery I've visited) I was told you must spend several thousand rand each. I was shocked by this as we had a large group and potentially a lot of business for them, I know I would have bought at least a couple of bottles myself.

As we were already there and had no time to visit elsewhere I thought we'd give it a go in any case - but no one came to serve us - I'd already mentioned we didn't have that long on the way in but this was ignored. Finally after waiting for around 15 mins we'd had enough and decided to leave, only to have our exit blocked by the manager who accused us of stealing our wine tasting. She said our glasses were dirty and we must paid, unless one of us had breathed on one I'm afraid she was very much mistaken. She was extremely rude and refused to hear how we'd been ignored. I will never return to the estate and I will never take another group of students there, furthermore since that day I've made a point of choosing any other wine on the menu or in the store I can find. There are much more welcoming places in the town and South Africa has much more to offer winewise than Spier. I only hope others haven't been put off SA wine in the same way my students could have been by this experience, a true letdown.

6  Thank OJewell
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We hired a guide for wine tasting in Stellenbosch and one of the stops was Spier. And this was a good choice.
The winery is located on a large tract with a small lake and inviting grounds for a picnic or just walking around.
We had a personalized tasting conducted by a very knowledgeable staff member.
There was also a large tent with African crafts for those trinket hunters.
The wine was excellent and was glad to see that Spier wine is available in my hometown.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

The Spier Wine Farm was the host hotel for the World Airline Road Race held in Oct 2013. My family stayed for 3 nights and we had a very enjoyable time. My wife, sister and mum loved the day spa. We liked the wildlife sanctaury, which had an array of bird life. Like vultures, many varieties of eagle and owl. The food was okay but nothing to rave about. Rooms are spacious are very African.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

By far the best winery on our vine hopper trip.  Gloria was very good and took us through all of the wines and we had a tasty cheese platter with some olives in the bright tasting room.

We also had lunch in the restaurant.  I had a burger which was excellent! Francois was our waiter and was amazing.  We only had a limited amount of time so he told us what we could feasibly have and made sure it came out straight away.  He was also very patient with the drunken antics of one of our group at the end of the meal too.  I was really impressed by how he handled the situation.