“Very Interesting Houses”

Ranked #12 of 150 things to do in Stellenbosch
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed going through the various houses on the tour. When I arrived at the first house, I immediately thought it reminded me of Strawberry Banke in New Hampshire. I see in one of the reviews that someone else thought so too!

All reviews
in 21 reviews
"artifacts"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed November 30, 2013

This gives you a flavour of the past settlers and their impact on today. You visit four different houses from four different ages.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is by far the best museum I have been to in a long time! If you have been to the Strawberry Banke Museum in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, it has much the same feeling but with a twist. We came about this museum while walking through Stellenbosch waiting for my niece to finish writing an exam. We went to have a look and the gentleman sitting at the counter encouraged me to go into the museum... a little reluctantly I did. I am so glad I did!! The museum captures the period that it represents and in each residence that you enter, there is a guide dressed in period costume and she explains everything in detail - it is really most fascinating!!! There are four residences to visit and I am going to take my time next time I go to Stellenbosch and do this museum again. It covers the beginning of this quaint town and as a local, I feel enriched for knowing more about our country. I think your time is well spent here as a tourist. There is plenty of time to do the museum as well as shop in the town - it is a very small town so you have plenty of time. It is also very cheap, so well worth it!!!

1  Thank Tracy M
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This museum is well worth a visit, historic houses with period furnishings and a very informative staff. Also nice area of town to walk around and shop the galleries