“Nice enough, slightly underwhelmed”

Oppie Dorp Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 253 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Relaxed dining, vegetarian/special requirements, seafood, steaks, lamb, duck, venison,pizza, great wines.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Nice enough, slightly underwhelmed”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We booked into Oppie Dorp, on the back of great Tripadvisor reviews. I don't really have anything bad to say about the place, we just weren't blown away. I think we've been spoiled with some of the other places we've eaten, during our stay in SA.

The service - very attentive, and greeted personally by the owner (or one of them, anyway). He made us feel very welcome, and took us through the menu. Only slight observation - there were A LOT of specials. By the time he got to the end, i'd forgotten what was the first one was....so maybe a 'specials board' to talk through, might feel less complicated.

The food - I had prawn bisque, to start. Nice bisque, and the artisan bread was good. For my main course I had stuffed chicken, with chips. The chips were very average - basically just regular frozen-type fries. At a restaurant of this standing, I would probably expect hand cut/cooked chips. Probably partly my fault for ordering chips - but I always think if it's not meant to be served, it shouldn't be on the menu.

Other half had hake, with more sensible pan fried potatoes. The fish was HUGE. Definitely enough for two, possibly even three in some places. Would definitely recommend less fish, more potatoes. The fish was well cooked, there was just too much. I always find it immediately off-putting, when the first reaction to a meal is 'that's huge'...the first thought to a meal shouldn't be 'i'll never eat all this'.

It's not a place I would revisit, but you have to try things out for yourself.

In summary: good service, ok tasting food, but cut down on the portions. Nice enough place, probably wouldn't return in a hurry.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank marccooling

“Exciting dishes and great service”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

One of the nicest restaurants we visited in South Africa. Besides the menu, the restaurant serves a variety of other dayly fresh dishes, which we can strongly recommend! Great and caring service! Reservation is needed and the atmosphere is perfect (small and cosy).

Preston
“Try the trilogy”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We booked for this restaurant the same day, and turned up on time. We were shown to our table, and immediately given a complimentary glass of sherry. Nice welcome! We perused the menu, which had some amazing items on, but were also taken through a host of other items (that were available that day only, each day being different) by the co-owner; the list took ages! What a choice.
We finally settled on our meals; my wife had the recommended trilogy, I had a steak - kudu as I recall. Absolutely wonderful - both meals. Delicious and beautifully presented. The wine was also excellent.
Dessert was, for me Malva pudding. It was so light and sweet, it was a shame to finish it.
And then for the same owner to come and offer complimentary liqueur or port? The crowning glory to a fantastic meal!
In the same room was a large dinner party. the service to them was as good as to us.
My comment for the wall.... 'If music be the food of love, I've just eaten a symphony'

2 Thank oldgobbo
Cape Town
“Disappointing, but had its moments”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We visited this restaurant based on Tripadvisor's many rave reviews. The staff were very friendly and welcoming, but we were seated near the front door which channeled an icy blast of air at ankle level, so we had to move. We had a excellent soup starter and fresh salmon which was served rather uninterestingly on a bed of lettuce with a few other salady items on the side. My entreé was a kudu and roast duck combo which was very good, but my wife's tempura prawns were very heavily battered which spoiled the taste completely. We skipped dessert and had coffee, which was mediocre.

The ambience is quite intimate and interesting, if you like reading numerous graffiti penned by would-be philosophers who have visited. The wine list is good and fairly extensive.

Somerset West
“Great service”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We made our way to Oppie Dorp for the first time last night and it was truly worth the trip. The food was exceptionally pretty and tasty, the duck breast was as good as it's ever going to get and the kudu fillet was perfect. Other guests in the group were all delighted by their portions. The real difference was made by the two owners and their staff. The gents were very helpful and the rest of the staff were on the ball. They were able to deliver that perfect service balance of being attentive without hovering over your shoulder at all times. Thank you for a great dinner and good luck with the business.