Lanzerac Hotel & Spa
Eendracht Hotel(Stellenbosch)(Great Value!)
$97
$64
Agoda.com
The Beautiful South Guest House(Stellenbosch)(Great Value!)
$49
$46
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswine tastingcigar loungecellar tourstar hotelwine estatelovely experiencecape townold world charmtasting roombeautiful hotelour honeymoonbeautiful surroundingsattention to detailsouth africasettinggovernorsdeli
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 29, 2010

We've stayed at Lanzerac twice before our recent visit in February and absolutely loved it. I was a little disappointed this time however. Not with the hotel but the restaurant actually.

Lanzerac is a five star establishment. It's the Grand Dame of Stellenbosch. And it still has plenty of its old world charm, the porters, the reception. Everyone was amazingly attentive and friendly. Our room was wonderful, next to the pool. When I think back now I have to say that this was five star through and through.

However, the restaurant was really a big let down. I don't know if we were just unlucky, but both meals we had was unacceptable.

February is a hot month, so we sat outside on the terrace for lunch and I ordered a salad, which in retrospect I should have sent back when it was placed in front of me, but I thought maybe it was just the heat. The leaves were all wilted and droopy. Bad salad can make you really ill, trust me on this. I found that out later that afternoon.

The next evening we had dinner in the restaurant and this is how it went:
The sommelier was great. He advised on just the right wine for the meal and we had a taste before we decided. We placed our order and settled back with our wine and waited... and waited... and waited. People who sat down after us were finished with their main meals and we still waited. Eventually we flagged a waiter down and his first words were, are you ready for dessert? To their credit they apologised profusely and rushed to get our meal out. But by then it was already very late and we didn't enjoy it. I'd also have expected at least a coffee on the house for the mix up but nothing.

The restaurant really spoiled things for us. I would definitely NOT recommend it. Which is a pity as it is in such a beautiful setting.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2010

Lovely place, great service and fantastic food. Only disappointment while we were there was the weather...!

I notice a few reviews with shakey service, however, while we were there we received nothing but excellent service. Only stayed the 1 night but wish we stayed longer.

I was not in the best of shapes upon arrival after a pretty rough night with food poisoning in Cape Town. Nevertheless I wanted to try the food and we went for the 3 course meal. We ordered and after receiving the starter I knew there was no way I was going to be able to eat anymore. As a result I asked if I could cancel my order and just order a drink instead while my girlfriend ate her meal. The waiter said no problem at all and promptly cancelled the order. The manager then asked if I was ok and asked if there was anything he could do, he then arranged for a complementary freshly squeezed orange juice with compliments and told me not to worry about the meal cancellation. I have to say the service was first rate and I was fully expecting them to charge me for the main course as they must have made a start on it. Not the case at all and the fresh OJ certainly helped.

Would love to visit again one day to fully experience the food and fine wine. It was in a beautiful location and 1 night was simply not enough. I would have no hesitation in returning back there one day.

Reviewed February 10, 2010

We stayed 2 nights at the end of our holiday in South Africa and were not disappointed. The hotel has obviously been refurbished recently, with an impressive reception area and the Governor's Hall dining room is stunning. Our bedroom was massive with an equally sized en suite.

Food and service was so good and great value that we cancelled another restaurant and ate both nights in the hotel.

Access to the Estate Wine Tasting is free and and a very short stroll from the hotel reception.

1  Thank Eleanor M
Reviewed January 27, 2010

Beautiful hotel in a rural location. Spacious rooms and bathrooms.
The food is good but service lets it down. There was a party, all resident in the hotel, eating together, and the kitchen "crumbled" under the pressure. Two hours to be served your food is not acceptable even in lovely surroundings.

Reviewed January 9, 2010

We loved our stay here, albeit for one night. The surroundings are beautiful and the rooms exquisite. The restaurant prepares good food, and the service was discreet and timely. A lovely experience, and hope to go back one day soon.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple