Went here on a business trip and found it largely good, except for the following:
1. Location is remote from Stellenbosch downtown. Having said that, I'd think you'd be mad to go anywhere in South Africa without your own car and a good Satnav;
2. Food was average and although well presented, was spolit by a solitary insect larva in the salad, which encouraged me to travel into town. Admittedly this could have been the only incident, but its enough to put you off for life. Plus this is something you should simply get right.
Booking/check in: straightforward and non-eventful. staff at reception were friendly and efficient.
Overall appearance/ambience: The setting for this hotel is in a valley, backing onto one of Stellenbosch's numerous vineyards and with sweeping views of the mountains, this is one of the compensating benefits for its location. The hotel is modern, with good in room facilities, and though is boasts a "no frills" marketing campaign, the overall standard is good.
Room/facilities: The room is large and well appointed, with a modern flatscreen TV with satellite, but no on-demand services. Bathroom was great, no problems, reasonably swish and with good water pressure/hot water. Furniture was good quality laminated and contributed to a modern, sleek quality ambience. Overall, even though marketed as no frills, this hotel would be good enough for a romantic getaway without getting you lynched by the other half, especially if you get a room with a mountain view (I did). Bed was great, an expansive King Size with good support for a good night's sleep. A/C and all other facilities worked without fuss.
No Internet access to speak of: I'm inclined to think this is a general issue in ZA, as most of my South African colleagues are always banging on about poor Internet/cell coverage. However, my 3G USB fob worked well, so just remember to pack one with a roaming plan. Desk space was good for working. Very limited room service here.
Food: One area that could use some improvement. The menu choice is poor and unimaginative and whilst the food looked reasonably fresh (as you would expect in such a location), so did the larva. Maybe I was unlucky, but I think they either need to go upscale and solve the grub problem, or go a step downscale and stick to very simply food (e.g., frozen pizzas, burgers, sandwiches). Maybe the latter, as there are good restaurants in town they'd have to compete with.
Summary: A nice hotel in a nice location for a quiet getaway in ZA's wine country, or working in your hotel room with few distractions. Driving into town (10 minutes only) to get to good restaurants is for me not such a big issue as others have pointed out, mainly because I would not want to walk much around South Africa, not even Stellenbosch, for security reasons.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of the Winelands, in one of the most beautiful and heritage conscious towns, Protea Hotel by Marriott Stellenbosch offers all guests the best of the Winelands. Stellenbosch is the second-oldest town in South Africa and affectionately referred to as the "Eikestad." Our hotel in Stellenbosch is nestled between two international golf courses. Accommodation is available in Executive, Deluxe and Standard Twin rooms, where Deluxe and Standard rooms configure to a two-bedroom apartment ideal for families and groups. Executive rooms have the best view in the house and are designed with the executive traveller in mind. Whether it’s the magnificent backdrop of mountain ranges you seek, perhaps just a scenic drive or wine tasting at the many surrounding wine farms, you will never run out of things to see and do. The hotel boasts two restaurants, two swimming pools, braai facilities, wireless internet access and the largest conference venue in Stellenbosch. If that’s not enough, why not gaze at the 270° view of the Helderberg mountain range, Blaauwklippen vineyards and the De Zalze Golf Estate. Whether it’s a family holiday or a team building activity you are looking for, Protea Hotel by Marriott Stellenbosch is just the venue for you! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Stellenbosch reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Stellenbosch
- Stellenbosch Protea Hotel