“It's the little details that count”
Review of Devon Valley Hotel

Devon Valley Hotel
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Cape Town
“It's the little details that count”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I agree with another review that says "it's all there but for attention to detail". The hotel is pretty old but mostly well kept with lovely views. Our room, which was a family room was nice but wooden floors are noisy and cold. Hairdryers are placed in the bathroom, which for some is great but for most women not so great as they are not powerful enough. It would be so nice to have a mirror in the room with a dressing table chair, the plugs are all there and so is the space. We were 2 adults and a child but we had only 2 bath towels for 2 of the 3 nights. I asked for tissues and an extra towel, the towel eventually appeared on the last day (after another request was made) and the tissues never. I was not told they do not provide tissues. A Four star hotel that does not provide a packet of tissues, the mind boggles, and no Face cloths either, I see this is the norm these days??? Our room was made up but certainly not tidied and I am a tidy person so not much to really tidy but the bare minumum was done. On 2 evenings we received a small packet of biscotti at turndown but it was just left on the counter underneath the TV, not placed anywhere special so that you thought, wow that's nice. On the last night we received a turndown but that's it. Our rate also included a bottle of wine, never received it!!The Housekeeping staff were very noisy in the mornings and the afternoons, pity if you wanted to have an afternoon snooze. The bar is lovely and service there is pretty good. Breakfast are the same old every day and we were there for 3. They have a lovely dining room area on the front of the hotel but you can't sit there as it is for lunch people???????? Is this easier for the staff or do the customers come first??????Slotted spoons are available to dish up with, good luck as everything falls through them especially the juice of the fruit salad. I must say they did offer a shuttle service to the Day Spa that is just down the road which was very much appreciated and thank you John for taking and fetching me. Clos Malvern Spa is very good and very relaxing. So my thoughts are that this Country hotel should be rated 3 star and not 4 star, it can be a wonderful 4 star if they put there hearts into it. Would we go back, not so sure!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front of the hotel it if you want a carpeted room those on the first floor are...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travelbabe40
Andrew D, General Manager at Devon Valley Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear travelbabe40

As a Top Contributor, I appreciate your honest review.

I have taken your review to heart and used it for training and corrected some of the “mind boggles” issues. The towels in the family room, of course should have been like that from arrival. Breakfast is supposed to have a few changes every day on the hot food specifically. This time of year I need to remind my team summer is here and using your review and the below review from millner1, my team are back on track and ready to embrace summer delivering “Excellence in Service”

My entire team does have the heart and passion to make this a superior 4 star hotel. I do hope you will consider returning and encourage you to contact me on andrew@devonvalleyhotel.com

Thank you again for the time taken to do a review on our Hotel.

Andrew Dietrich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Cape Town
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We spent two nights in a "luxury room" in the new out-building next to the main hotel. Very comfortably and well appointed, but for a few quirks: no tissues in the room (they don't provide), and a shower rose located inexplicably at ceiling height, thereby ensuring that the water was luke warm by the time it got to my body! The staff were friendly, but this sometimes felt forced. Training seems lacking though, as we had to ask for hand towels twice before they were provided, and the bed was not turned down on the 2nd night. Picky, I know, but this is not a cheap hotel at the normal rates (we did get this deal at half price though).

The breakfasts were very good (excellent pastries and bread). We did not have other meals there as there were no light options, and the pizza oven apparently only gets fired up from October onwards.

Room Tip: The luxury rooms all face over the garden and valley. Standard rooms not so much. There is a very n...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank millnerl
Dear millner1

Thank you for your review. Your review is certainly not “Picky”. I have addressed the short comings with the team and certainly dusted their cobwebs and reminded my entire team summer is here and we need to get the basics right is we want deliver Excellence in Hospitality.

You are correct with the pizzas, we are up and running every Friday and Saturday from 12:00 till 21:00 unless of course it is raining. The Pizza oven is on our Terrace.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel.

Kind Regards
Roodepoort, South Africa
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel before, hence my request to the travel agent to book a room there. The hotel has not lost its charm, and the reception and check in made me feel thoroughly welcome. I appreciated the advance warning that there was a group booking and that I should book my table at Flavours Restaurant.
My room was comfortable and distinctly different from the usual hotel room set-up. The bathroom opened with double doors and has an inviting large self-standing bath and amazingly big shower. Good quality linen and pillows and great coffee in the room. My room has double French doors opening to a little verandah with a water feature outside.
The quality of the food at the hotel restaurant, Flavours, the presentation of the food, the range on the wine list and the service was exceptional.
I definitely recommend staying at Devon Valley Hotel and Spa.

Room Tip: Choose a room towards the vinyeard side of the hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear ADavies1977

Thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back soon

New Delhi
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We spent two nights at the Devon Valley Hotel.

Given the distance from the city, it was safe to assume that our dinners would be at the hotel. The staff was very courteous and friendly. We spent time at the bar, where the bartender made us a couple of mean cocktails, and the wine list was very good too.

The food was good, the choices were a bit limited especially for vegetarians. I enjoyed the Ostrich meat on the first night and the chicken on the second.

The views from our room were spectacular! It was like waking up in paradise. Overall, we were pretty satisfied. They charged for wifi, which in most other places we lived across SA was free.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Andrew D, General Manager at Devon Valley Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear ArjunPuri

Thank you for your review, We are working on having free wifi!

Our menu changes monthly with fresh seasonal thoughts. We always try to accommodate Vegetarians and guests are more than welcome to ask our chef for a special dish!

Thank you again for the time taken to do our review.

Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My review is biased. My wife and I stayed here the first night of our honeymoon, and each time we return, they make something special of our visit (we usually go around our anniversary).

It is located in probably one of the most beautiful places in South Africa (if not the world), the Stellenbosch Winelands.

The rooms are very well proportioned and with a very high quality of fittings. The restaurant serves good food with a nice fire in winter and a phenomenal patio in summer.

The wines are local to the area and is very good.

Room Tip: Get a suite in the Manor house, its away from the main hotel area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Joeblack_Paul

Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you and your wife back to our Hotel.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Situated in a beautiful, quiet area this rambling hotel consistes of the main reception, bar and restaurant with two long corridors of rooms attached each side. The en-suite rooms are stylish and clean, the bed having exceptionally fine linen and extremely comfortable and the bathroom (mine had only a shower but others have both) are also good size. Unfortunately, the hot water system was unable to cope with a large group all wanting hot showers/baths at the same time and I was eventually taken to another room to use the shower there, which entailed going via the dining room in one's dressing gown! The room had all the necessary equipment and with some help I eventually managed to get the AC to warm it up as it was still cold at night. Room service provides a good toasted sandwich with salad and chips. The hotel concierge was exceptionally helpful as also all the other staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Michele_G186370

Thank you for your review. We have attended to the hot water issue! We run off both solar and electrical heating. With the cold winter, we needed more electrical heat.

Fountain Hill, Arizona
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Should have done this review a long time ago......This beautiful hotel was our home base while we did wine tasting in the Stellenbosch winelands and nearby Franschhoek area almost a year ago 09/08 - 09/10/2012. It is located in the quiet sylvanvale Farms overlooking beautiful vineyards and very picturesque rolling hills. just a few minutes from the town center and good proximity to lots of wineries.

Our room/suite is lovely, nicely decorated with an old world charm. It has a fireplace which makes the room cozy, peaceful and yes, romantic. The bed was very comfortable which gives you a very good night sleep after a hectic day. The bathroom has a claw tub and a shower with ample room to move around. The only thing I did not like about it was the sink does not have enough counter space for essentials and the mirror was installed too high so for somebody who is only 5ft 1" tall like me, I need to stand on a chair so I could see myself while putting on make-up.

The dining room and the bar/lounge has a wonderful atmosphere and the food is great. Breakfast buffet is very good and has a variety of selection . The staff are very helpful, accomodating and gives very good service.

Nanette & Stuart Duzan
Fountain Hills, Arizona, USA

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew D, General Manager at Devon Valley Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear racoonian

Thank you for your review!