“Great hotel & lovely staff”
Review of Spier Hotel

Spier Hotel
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for only one night and really wish we could have stayed longer. Sadly we arrived quite late, in the middle of a thunderstorm, however we were greeted with a glass of delicious chilled wine whilst we were checking in (very pleasant, every check-in should be like this!), and taken to our "room" by golf buggy.
I say "room", but this was not a room! This was a huge suite, with a total of 3 balconies, a huge bed, fire, seating area, Nespresso coffee machine, and massive bathroom with an excellent shower. We'd emailed ahead and asked the hotel for a specific room, they were lovely enough to upgrade us for free, so we had a great room overlooking the river. I'd describe the rooms more as mini town houses, in a lovely little village.
The staff are great, and can't do enough to help, even collecting guests in the golf buggies and ferrying them around the resort whenever required. The bar area is really comfortable and very reasonably priced. We tried room service for a quick snack, and ate a really delicious meal in the restaurant on the evening. Even the prices in the hotel restaurant are good value, and the wine is delicious, especially the dessert wine!
I can't fault a thing about this great hotel. We were sad to leave the following morning, not really able to experience everything that Stellenbosch had to offer, and treating the place more as a stopover en route back to the airport. If I return to this lovely hotel I'd definitely want to spend more time here. It's also perfectly located only about 30 minutes outside of Cape Town too, with the airport very easy to get to.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Spier_Hotel, General Manager at Spier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

It is such a pleasure to read your most positive and comprehensive feedback on your short stay with us, indeed we would have liked to have you stay with us longer.

The team responsible for your enjoyment is very proud to know that you have appreciated their efforts, thank you.

We look forward to have you return to us at Spier on your next visit to Stellenbosch.

Spier Hotel & Leisure

Write a ReviewReviews (2,065)

Reviewed July 1, 2014

I spent several nights at the Spier for a conference. Old world hospitality, beautiful rooms with charming fireplaces. The staff was completely committed to making my stay perfect, from help with the luggage to special requests in the restaurant. The breakfast buffet was so remarkable that I am still thinking about it.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your most positive feedback, we are very happy to hear you have enjoyed your stay so much.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon with us here at Spier.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Our stay at Spier was very pleasant and the service from the staff was exceptional. The friendly greeting and wine set the tone. The room was river facing and the view onto the mountains very special.

Room Tip: Ask for river facing room
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Spier_Hotel, General Manager at Spier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

The team is very happy to hear your very positive feedback on your stay at Spier, it is very rewarding for them to know that you had a good time with us.

We look forward to have you back with us in the not too distant future.

Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a conference and it was very enjoyable. The presence of Moyo is missing and the site where the restaurant was isn't a pretty one, it looks like a building site but I'm sure this is to be expected given the restaurant's closure.

Rooms are beautiful and big. There is a fireplace and an aircon which was very welcome as it was very cold! We also had a resident kitty cat stay around our room and he came to sit in front of the door and indicated to the card slot as if to say "go ahead, you open it there".

He/she was too cute and entertaining :))

Staff were very helpful and professional.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

We appreciate your most positive feedback on your recent stay at Spier, the team, including Jessie the cat, is proud to know you have appreciated their efforts.

I am happy to inform you that we are indeed working hard at restoring De Werf site to its original state, I apologise for the inconvenience caused during this process. I can assure you that the end result will be worthwhile.

I do hope to see you back at Spier in summer when De Werf will be once again the heart of our farm.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed at Spier for only one night which is a real shame. I would of loved to of stayed longer and spent time on the grounds, but I already had plans in Stellenbosch.

The room was very comfortable, I especially liked the fire.
I didn't have dinner at the hotel, but breakfast the next morning had everything you could ask for.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for your positive review on your stay at Spier, it was a delight to have you here.

Indeed the fireplaces are a great source of comfort in all our rooms.

We would very much like to have you back in summer, when you can enjoy the gardens and outdoor swimming pools more, please do let me know if I can assist you personally with your reservation.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

The hotel is spacious, with enormous suites, with a huge bed and a gas fire [needed in May - SA's winter], TV, and a great bath & shower room. Dinner was excellent, as was breakfast. Staff were extremely helpful, polite and attentive. The whole setting is huge, with walks around the winery, and a very nice pool and surrounds. A glass of wine on arrival, and 'golf-buggies' to take you to your room, and to collect luggage and people on departure. Unfortunately we could only stay one night - we'll have to return!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris B
Spier_Hotel, General Manager at Spier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

We really appreciated reading your most positive feedback on your recent stay. Indeed our fireplaces in each room are a huge drawcard in the winter and create the ambience you have so enjoyed.

We would very much like to welcome you back for a longer stay upon your return to Stellenbosch.

Please do let me know if there is anything I can personally do to assist you with your next booking.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

I stayed in Room 315 of the Spier Hotel for two nights. The hotel is comprised of a number of separate buildings with two rooms at ground level and two on the upper level. My room was at ground level. The room was huge with a king-sized bed, gas fireplace, nightstands, desk, flat screen TV, a small table and two comfortable chairs and a wine refrigerator. The room was air conditioned, as well as having a ceiling fan over the bed. The bathroom was large and well-appointed with a soaker tub and large shower with a rain shower head, two plush white robes and assorted toiletries. The room had doors leading out to a private patio with two rattan chairs overlooking a small pool - a very nice place to hang out at the end of the day. The hotel was very quiet at night. My only minor complaint, being sensitive to light, is that there was a small rectangular window over the entry door and there was no way to turn off the outside lights, which caused a lot of light to shine in the room at night.

The hotel puts out a beautiful breakfast buffet with assorted breads, fruits and pastries in one room and hot dishes in the dining area. You can also get eggs made to order. As the town of Stellenbosch isn't in walking distance, we also had a couple dinners at the hotel - one with the group I was with and another with a friend. The group dinner was a buffet, which was better than average for a buffet. The other dinner was off the menu. I had soup and a duck salad, both of which were excellent.

The hotel has a nice pool and an upstairs deck where you can sit and enjoy the views. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again if I were to go back to Stellenbosch.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Spier_Hotel, General Manager at Spier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Thank you very much for your most positive feedback on your stay at Spier. The chef's team is very proud to hear that you have appreciated their culinary efforts.

I am glad to inform you that with the room upgrade project for this winter we will be addressing your point raised. All rooms will be fitted out with curtains in addition to the shutters and we will block out the small window above the door.

We look forward to having you back here at Spier on your next visit to South Africa.