“cozy rooms”

Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Saint Louis, Missouri
“cozy rooms”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Such a cozy feel in these rooms. Large. Large bath with huge tub that would fit two. Did not try out the gas fireplace. The weather was not really fitting.

The common area seems mis-matched as it has a very contempo vibe. Doesn't really affect anything, but it was noticed.

Ordered off the ala carte menu. Food was good. Our tour group had a special buffet arranged and that was the bomb!(wonderful) I wanted some of the dessert for breakfast!
Best dessert I have had in quite some time.
Breakfasts were first class.

Recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
British Isles
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Having visited the Spier estate in the past, but never the hotel, we had high expectations when we booked to stay for two nights in the hotel. Sadly the service was poor and let the whole experience down. We asked for pool towels which never arrived, and we gave up waiting. My husband and I both ordered soup on the first night in the restaurant. It took an hour and a half for my husband's soup to arrive. In order to get mine my husband had to walk from one area of the restaurant to another to point out mine hadn't arrived. By the time it arrived we asked for my husband's soup to be reheated. By the time this appeared mine was ready to be warmed up again.... No - we didn't dare, I ate it luke warm!!

The following evening we went to Moyo. We had had a lovely experience here in Jan 2009 but again sadly this time the service and attention was severely lacking. We were not offered the hand washing experience at any time during the evening. A salad starter was brought to us as soon as we sat down, encouraging us to start eating more or less immediately. The face painting didn't happen until halfway through our main meal. There was every little entertainment during the whole of the time we were there.

The staff seem to be going through (some of) the motions rather than making it an experience as it was a few years ago.

Our bedrooms were okay, not as good as we'd expected, but we should have known better as there are no (?) photos of the inside of the rooms on their website. The shower also needed a good scrub.

On the positive side, we did the Segway tour, a first for us all and thoroughly enjoyed it. The guys were patient and spent quite a while making sure we knew what we were doing and were comfortable before heading "off road".

Given the quality and service we have experienced in many other places in South Africa, Spier was a huge disappointment. We will not be back.

1 Thank Colynn S
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I came here for a conference over three days and was happy with the overall experience. My room was massive especially for one person with two kingsize beds, the bathrooms were huge, and the terrace + private dipping pool was a great surprise! The breakfast was definitely one of the best I have had in a while - a huge selection of hot and cold food with pretty much anything you could want. The staff were very friendly and helpful, but sometimes service was a little slow. I came back one afternoon around 5 and my room was still not made up and had to call twice to get somebody to help with this. There were also no adapters when I arrived which was a bit frustrating as it was an international conference I would expect them to be prepared for this. Overall it was a good experience, and I would return if staying in Stellenbosch again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I love Spier - it has the most amazing bar, the decor is fresh and contemporary while retaining an African feel. The rooms are huge, comfortable and again the decor is lovely.

The only slight downside about Spier is the food in the hotel is ok but not brilliant. However, Stellenbosch is not far away and definitely worth a visit for dinner.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We've just returned from 13 nights in Spier which was just awesome. Firstly the venue is great, the hotel is smart, relaxed and contempary. Great variety of places to eat and drink, and all very reasonably priced. We had adjoining lower floor chalet rooms which were spacious, clean, large and very comfortable. The little grassed courtyard complete with Ground Hornbills feeding, pygmy cape chameleons and a a splash pool was a real bonus. Food quality excellent, wine quality stellar but what makes the place for me is the staff. Lincon, the bar man a star, Wiseman and the attentative breakfast team always made sure the day started perfectly (with a capuccino) and the reception team including Lebo and Tashwin accommodated every request. I cannot reccommend this place highly enough and I had teh most relaxing visit I've ever had to the cape, which I visited frequentlt over the last 10 years. Thanks to all at Spier. (ps the segway tours are a real hoot)

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We spent the Easter weekend at Spier and I must say I never expected that the staff could've improved on their customer service but they have,they have surpassed our expectations,gone beyond what was expected and everything they had planned for the weekend was amazing,from the Easter egg hunt to the visit to the egg farm and the food hunt we loved every minute of it,and are already to reserve our places for next year. We will be back again soon...

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I came over the weekend with a vegan friend and we were greeted by friendly, smiling staff at the reception desk who quickly whisked us to our hotel room which was lovely, and clean, and comfortable. Throughout the weekend we had efficient service from housekeeping; and the chef created the most amazing vegan breakfasts and dinners for my friend, and were only happy to give insights into how the food was created - this is pretty refreshing for a vegan travelling as some places are not that willing to accommodate, or deliver very basic meals. Eight Restaurant was also staffed by some great people - the harvest table is a good idea with tons of top quality choice. You must try the flourless chocolate cake!! The Hotel is also child friendly which was good for us, with a staffed play area, outside 'jungle gym's' and swimming pools. And finally, beautiful and recyclable artworks and furnishings make the place really interesting to discover. Thoroughly enjoyable, I wish the Hotel staff all the best!

Room Tip: Low ground floors have access to their own patio and pool areas which is useful.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Spier2011, General Manager at Spier Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear PatriciaIM

Thank you for the wonderful comments, I have sent these through to the team who were involved in delivering such a special experience.

Spier has a wonderfully creative culinary team lead by the diva of delicious Lorianne Heyns, who pride themselves on been able to cater to all dietary requirements. We understand that in this world one size does not fit all and this applies to our ability to cater for everyone when it comes to food. All too often even the delivery of the most basic vegetarian meal leaves a lot to be desired. The team is passionate about food and guest satisfaction.

Kind regards