“Best location to explore the winelands!”
Review of Spier Hotel

Spier Hotel
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Reviewed March 22, 2012

It was my first time staying at Spier and I was highly impressed. As a South African I think this hotel is ideal for any foreign visitors that are looking for a central location to explore the winelands area. The services offered on site are more than ample to keep any visitor occupied including on site wine tasting, cheetahs horse riding, bird sanctuary and just relaxing by one of the many pools dotted around the hotel area. The rooms themselves are very large and have every modern convenience required. Golf carts shuttle you to your room but it is also just as pretty to walk and admire the lush surroundings. The entrance area to the hotel is welcoming and beautifully decorated in contemporary African designs. The bar is responsibly priced and the buffet style breakfast is world-class. I can't fault the breakfast in any way...yum.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Iloveshoesalot
Write a ReviewReviews (2,063)

Reviewed March 21, 2012

Spent 2 night here.
Check in a bit slow, park your car a golf buggy takes you to your room... mediteranian village style, we were on 1st floor very large room african theamed, large bathroom, Tv and fire place for the winter. Room was clean bed comfortable.
Each area has small swiming pools but we used the large one next to the resturant, with comfortable sunbeds.
The grounds are beautiful and the lawn to the side and next to the reasurant had local white egrets that landed and fed there.
Breakfast was excellent, we ate in the resurant in the evening one of the best steaks I have had, service was good and friendly.
Wine tasting was ok, I think its a shame you have to pay to taste wine that they want to sell you ! its not like they give you a glass of wine! or am I missing the point!
wifi free in reception/ bar lounge.
We enjoyed staying out in the country and drove into Stellenbosch which was short drive.
We were told the hotel was quiet has they did not have any conferences,
So maybe if it had been full, it would not have been quiet and would there have been enogh sunbeds?

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a 9 night trip to South Africa, the first 3 nights spent here. We have been coming to S Africa every year for 10 years and knew of this place and so decided to give it a try. We arrived on a Thursday evening and check in and room were all fine. The room was very clean and nicely appointed. The complex is quite large and so there is plenty of space.
The place is really let down by the service and of course this is the abiding memory you take with you. At the weekend there was a wedding and as a result I think service suffered. Breakfasts were particularly poor and you were lucky to be offered coffee or tea and refills were rarer than hen's teeth. On the Saturday we returned to our room to find a bottle of red wine and sweets to a returning guest - Mr Willis. I naturally phoned reception of their mistake so if you are reading this Mr Willis I hope you enjoyed it because you cannot rely upon management to get this fundamental right. On the Saturday afternoon before deciding to check whether to eat in the restaurant or go our I specifically made a point of asking to see the a la carte menu and liking what I saw ensuring it would begin to take orders at 7pm. When we arrived at 7pm we were abruptly informed a la carte would begin at 8.30pm. Upon explaining the earlier conversation the waitress went away and came back to say that "as a favour" the chef would take our order. Apparently there was another function on and so I guess guests become second class at that point. Not being used to being spoken in such an impertinent manner I had to explain a few home truths to the waitress but to be honest I do not think I got through. C'est la vie. i know where to take my cash in future.
Upon checking out I mentioned items out of the mini bar not on my bill expecting at some stage to be asked whether I had enjoyed my stay as is usual. Having paid my account and not received any enquiry I asked if it was not normal practice to ask guests how their guests had enjoyed the stay but of course by then it was too late - I was heading for the carpark with the words ringing in their ears that they would see my comments on tripadvisor!
Thank you trip advisor.
If you need to stay in Stellenbosch there is another place just up the road which begins and ends in the letter A and is head and shoulders over Spier. it is a shame really because with a little effort it could be so much better.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CliveofIndiaEngland
Spier2011, General Manager at Spier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for giving us the opportunity to host you during your recent holiday in South Africa. We greatly appreciate the time you have taken to voice your concerns about standards of service experienced. We are equally grateful for the positive comments you have mentioned about our hotel. We would like to inform you that guest feedback is one of the fundamental principles of our business, as it gives us a platform to measure the quality of our products and service.

We sincerely regret that we could not meet your expectations during your visit. The issues you have highlighted on TripAdvisor portray that in this instance, we failed to conform to our culture of service excellence. Please accept our heartfelt apologies. We would like to inform you that we have given your concerns the utmost consideration and measures have been implemented to avoid a similar occurrence.

We would be delighted to have you visit Spier again in the future, if you find yourself in South Africa. This will give you a platform to measure the level of improvement from the previous one.

Once again thank you for taking the time to bringing the service defects to our attention. We look forward to hosting you at Spier again.

Wayne Siepman

Reviewed March 13, 2012

We stayed in Spier for three nights and could not fault the place. After 2 weeks of travelling around S Africa we wished we had booked longer at Spier. Accommodation is first class, service fantastic the only issues I could find would be that the golf carts which the porters drive are noisy and the bar seems not to stock bottled still water, or runs out of it.
A really special place to stay of you are a family, couple or solo traveller.

• Stayed: March 2012
Spier2011, General Manager at Spier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

Dear Traveler

Thank you for the recent post on our Tripadvisor page. I am glad that you were able to end off your South African vacation on a high. Your positive coments have been posted on our staff notice boards.

I have addressed the issue of the carts in the village at night, only battery opertated carts will be used in future to ensure a peacefull enviroment for our guests.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

Was very disappointed with this hotel, definitely not 4*. Rooms needed updating, bathroom full of ants, safe not working & tea/coffee not replenished. Moyo restaurant on site was a great disappointment. No courtesy transport to the town, cost £25 return by taxi. (Hotel must take a cut of this) Not to be recommended if you do not have a car. Nothing on site, extra charge for birds & cheetahs enclosures. Staff not very knowledgeable, seems most are new.

Room Tip: All rooms are built in the Spanish hacienda style, none in the hotel, upstairs rooms are better.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for the recent comments left on TripAdvisor, I apologise for the hotel not meeting your expectations and for the service defects. I have taken note of the issues mentioned and have addressed them with the managers responsible. I wish to assure you that this is not the general level of service. I also wish to assure you that the taxi services are operated independently of the hotel, and are regular operators that the hotel recommends and trusts.

We hope to welcome you back at some stage.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

Nice place, however much more for large groups than expected. Besides activity like horse riding was skipped but not mentioned on the website !

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank PR_S18
Reviewed February 22, 2012

My wife and I have recently returned from an enjoyable 4 weeks holiday at the Spier Hotel.
The grounds are lovely, well kept, with a number of short walks by the river which passes through the property.
The accommodation is in rooms set out in a village style. The rooms are large and the ground floor ones have a
large patio.The downside here is that although the rooms are clean and comfortable they are getting a little shabby with age. I am told refurbishing is a priority.
The food is good and plentiful.
The staff in all departments is friendly and anxious to be helpful. Management are approachable and will do whatever they can to make their guests stay memorable.
Sometimes service in the restaurant is slow but this is Africa so take it easy, have a few glasses of the excellent wine and relax.
Four stars now but will be worth five stars when refurbishing is complete.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have fairly secluded patio.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent comments on our TripAdvisor page, it is wonderful to read your positive comments after staying at the hotel for four weeks.

I have noted your comments on the rooms and speed of service. We will be working towards improving both of these in the months to come.