“Nice 'fancy' restaurant with good food, location, service.”
Review of Guardian Peak

Guardian Peak
Ranked #24 of 274 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: Grill
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Guardian Peak Winery and Restaurant was opened in December 2005, and since then, has been a popular destination for winelands dining.We are open for lunch from Monday to Sunday, and for dinner from Wednesday to Saturday. The focus of the a la carte menu is on serving unpretentious bistro style food with an emphasis on prime-quality steaks.We only serve wines from our greater portfolio, and trust that you find the selection to your satisfaction.We invite you to Guardian Peak, sample our food and wines, and trust that you enjoy the experience that we have to offer.
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Except for the small portions, this is a great restaurant for some 'fancy' eating with the family while tasting some exquisite wines and trying a plate of decorated food! They've also made good use of the space right in front of the restaurant by placing the vineyard there, and the lovely Stellenbosch mountains surrounding the restaurant count in their favour. Try it, and be sure to visit Ernie next door!

1  Thank cjmeyer96

Reviewed December 26, 2013

My wife and I stopped in for a nice wine lands lunch yesterday and this restaurant did not live up to my expectations. The tripadvisor description of this restaurant claims "...an emphasis on prime-quality steaks..." so, being in South Africa and having already high expectations of good-quality steaks, I had to order their 350g sirloin. Medium rare, though perhaps I should have gone with my gut and ordered my normally-preferred rare. My wife had a seared Cape Salmon (Geelbek) with an assortment of vegetables. We started each with a glass of their portfolio chenin blanc and then I moved on to a glass of their own Shiraz. The wine was good. The food took a long time to arrive, which should have been the first sign of my steak's being over-cooked, which it was. The fish was nice, well-cooked and good flavour. My steak arrived with a cup of chips and a small salad, I called the waiter back over almost immediately as I sliced into the steak and found it to be nearly well-done. He apologised immediately and took the steak away, though I kept the chips to keep me busy. My wife finished her fish slowly and I nearly finished my glass of Shiraz when my new steak arrived 20 minutes later. It was medium rare now but not nearly as tasty as I had hoped. It was dry and uninteresting. The new cup of chips that arrived with the steak were now over-fried, tough and too crispy. The waiter was very apologetic, though he never did stop back to check to see how the new steak was. I ate the steak because by that time I was hungry and I wasn't going to wait again. The waiter did take the wines off the bill as a gesture of apology. That was okay, but I give this restaurant 3 stars because of the expectations vs reality of the quality of the food. I expected prime-quality steaks with prime-quality cooking, and was disappointed by the care they should have (but evidently did not) put into their steaks. The wine was nice, my wife's food was good, but the steak experience not so much. The view is also nice, but there are plenty of wineries with nicer wine, nicer food, and great views. Choose those, is my advice. I wanted to be able to give Guardian Peak 4 stars, but I cannot. I don't think they deserve 2 stars, but I was tempted. I won't be going back here.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

we were lucky enough to secure a booking for lunch on the 11th of december 2013 to celebrate my daughters graduation day.We had some wonderful food and great wines priced fromR 69 and some lovely champagne.The views is priceless and guardian peak affordable menu is a must visit for any tourist.

2  Thank schoeman b
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Food and service were at best poor but the views are stunning. Wish we has been to Ernie Els nest door.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Had lunch here today, great restaurant with an awesome view. We were seated on the deck which was a bit warm, but still worth it.
Lovely place!