“Makaron is a must-not-miss!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Makaron

Makaron
Ranked #34 of 244 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Airy and light, the restaurant overlooks lush gardens and leads onto a sheltered terrace for alfresco dining. It is in this stimulating setting that resident chef Lucas Carstens presents his menu of fresh, modern cuisine grounded in the French classics. Lucas has enormous respect for the quality and provenance of each ingredient that comes into his kitchen and takes pride in working with ethical producers and suppliers who share his philosophy of excellence. Complementing Makaron Restaurant is M Bar, an inviting lounge-style bar with the decadent ambience of a Parisian salon.
Stockholm
“Makaron is a must-not-miss!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

We have had many great dining experiences at Makaron before. And now we had extra high expectations since we heard that Tania has been to Europe recently to practice at some world famous Michelin star restaurants to get some new inspiration for her summer menu. The result is magical!! Makaron has always been one of our favorites, but this summer Tania and her staff takes the whole dining experience to yet anther level - bravo!! The amuse-bouche platter (!) even has a funny little written down story to guide you how to experience all the little delicasies. Do not miss the divine sous-vide oysters with all the flavors still intact! And the "50 shades of Chocolate" dessert is to die for! Restaurant manager/sommelier Josephine took very well care of us, and is a world of knowledge when it comes to food and wine pairing, and the rest of the staff was very attentive and accommodating. Makaron belongs among the top restaurants in South Africa now!

• Visited November 2013

Durban, South Africa
“Every mouthful a delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Having eaten at many Michelin starred restaurants around the world it is always wonderful when a South African chef surprises me. 5 months ago it was a great restaurant, but since the chef returned from her overseas experience it is elevated to life changing.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
kent
“Truly Superb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

A fabulous meal at Makaron while staying at Majeka House.
Easily the best meal I had while in SA. I had the Springbok rare - an absolute must try.
Fantastic service too witha great choice of wine!

Visited October 2013
Stellenbosch, South Africa
“Absolutely wonderful !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I'm a local wine tour guide from Stellenbosch and have the privilege of dining often at some of the top restaurants this part of the world has to offer. For my birthday my husband asked me where I would like to go and celebrate for the evening. I chose Makaron Restaurant for the first time based on all the wonderful reviews I receive from my tourists. I've also read about their stunning menu & innovative chef. We were not disappointed at all! We were warmly welcomed by David and also the sommelier, Josephine. We had cocktails in the beautiful lounge (best Moijto according to my husband) and enjoyed the stunning 'bar-snacks'! What a delightful evening, excellent service and even great food! The riddle was excellent, we also loved the dessert with the pine needles!The chef was outstanding with all sorts of surprises throughout the evening! The staff was well trained and was able to explain any questions we had regarding the cooking methods. Thank you for making my birthday so special! My number 1 restaurant in the country! Anel de Villiers

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“An outstading experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

We have eaten here four times over the last couple of years and cannot understand the few poor reviews. Josephine the sommelier is very knowledgeable and her advice on the wine and the food should be taken. The service staff are second to none. The chef is something special. We must have had twenty different courses over the time and there is always something new and unique to test the taste buds. Having eaten Michelin I do feel she is virtually in the same league. Always quiet for lunch which suits us but it should really be packed. The food is excellent. Don't be swayed by the reviews, try it, be surpised and judge for yourself. some say it is expensive but the amuse bouche ( several of them ) are worth a couple of hundred rands alone.

• 4 of 5 bubbles