“A-list restaurant”
Review of Makaron Restaurant

Makaron Restaurant
Ranked #54 of 272 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: OPEN DAILY from 6.30pm to 9pm October to April Closed on Wednesdats May to September Airy and light, the restaurant overlooks lush gardens and leads onto a sheltered terrace for alfresco dining. It is in this stimulating setting that resident chef Lucas Carstens presents his menu of fresh, modern cuisine grounded in the French classics. Lucas has enormous respect for the quality and provenance of each ingredient that comes into his kitchen and takes pride in working with ethical producers and suppliers who share his philosophy of excellence. Complementing Makaron Restaurant is M Bar, an inviting lounge-style bar with the decadent ambience of a Parisian salon.
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Fresh, original food that strikes that fine balance between being conceptual yet not overly frilly. A knowledgeable sommelier, excellent pairings and among the best service to be encountered anywhere in the Cape.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

An escape from the humdrum of every day insofar the food here excels in taste, originality and appearance. The restaurant its self is decorated in award-winning style and has featured in decor magazines. This boutique hotel is run by the owners themselves and I was privileged to go there as their guest. I now recommend it to all my friends and I go there as often as I can! The Spa and indoor pool are fabulous too.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

I was fortunate enough to eat here, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself! The food was cooked beautifully, flavours were very good and staff were exceptionally helpful.

The owners popped around for a chat, as well an head chef Tanya. I think this makes a huge immpact on a restaurant, its truly lovely to see how passionate and involved everyone is.

We were indulged with lovely food and wine- I strongly recommend this place. Please try the chocolate fondant and vanilla ice cream if it is on the menu!

Reviewed June 8, 2012

Recently (May 2012) we were in Stellenbosch and ate at Makaron again. I agree (partly) that it wasn't the same as my 1st rave review. The chef at the time of our 1st visit was Anri Diener. She seems to have disappeared, and there's a new chef, also a young woman. Although we had a great meal, it did not have the subtlety or flavours of the Anri Diener dinner that I was so excited about. It was still very good, though. The service is impeccable, and we had a lovely dinner. But the magic of the 1st time was not there.

1  Thank Zuretha
Reviewed May 7, 2012

After reading positive reviews on Tripadvisor, we decided to leave ‘our beaten track’ for our Sunday lunch. And after visiting their website, we were very excited to opt for lunch at Makaron restaurant.

The place is somewhat difficult to find, with limited signs to guide you to it. It’s in the middle of a residential area called Paradyskloof, on the outskirts of Stellenbosch. This boutique hotel and restaurant looks very nice and bar/lounge and restaurant areas are inviting.

We were welcomed by friendly staff and opted to drink a bottle of bubbly outside in their garden, which was nice. From there on, the experience was unfortunately less positive. The food they served was disappointing, uninspired and bland. In fact to me it was so disappointing, that later that afternoon I could hardly recall what I had been eating. Add to this the steep prices, and I realized this is most certainly not a place to put on my ‘restaurant list’.

I don’t mind paying good money for lunch or dinner, but then expect a great experience. And there are various places in the Stellenbosch vicinity, which offer such an experience. On their website they mention that you will have a ‘one of a kind experience’. In our case this description should read a ‘once of a kind experience’. To say it was all bad is probably not fair, but the food doesn’t live up to expectations, and most certainly not the bill.

1  Thank LaurentPerrier