“Just fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Makaron

Makaron
Ranked #35 of 248 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Airy and light, the restaurant overlooks lush gardens and leads onto a sheltered terrace for alfresco dining. It is in this stimulating setting that resident chef Lucas Carstens presents his menu of fresh, modern cuisine grounded in the French classics. Lucas has enormous respect for the quality and provenance of each ingredient that comes into his kitchen and takes pride in working with ethical producers and suppliers who share his philosophy of excellence. Complementing Makaron Restaurant is M Bar, an inviting lounge-style bar with the decadent ambience of a Parisian salon.
Cape Town
“Just fantastic”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I was fortunate enough to eat here, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself! The food was cooked beautifully, flavours were very good and staff were exceptionally helpful.

The owners popped around for a chat, as well an head chef Tanya. I think this makes a huge immpact on a restaurant, its truly lovely to see how passionate and involved everyone is.

We were indulged with lovely food and wine- I strongly recommend this place. Please try the chocolate fondant and vanilla ice cream if it is on the menu!

• Visited July 2012

Eastern Cape Province
“Makaron has a new chef, sorry!”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Recently (May 2012) we were in Stellenbosch and ate at Makaron again. I agree (partly) that it wasn't the same as my 1st rave review. The chef at the time of our 1st visit was Anri Diener. She seems to have disappeared, and there's a new chef, also a young woman. Although we had a great meal, it did not have the subtlety or flavours of the Anri Diener dinner that I was so excited about. It was still very good, though. The service is impeccable, and we had a lovely dinner. But the magic of the 1st time was not there.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Mietie
Somerset West
“Doesn't live up to expectations they create”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

After reading positive reviews on Tripadvisor, we decided to leave ‘our beaten track’ for our Sunday lunch. And after visiting their website, we were very excited to opt for lunch at Makaron restaurant.

The place is somewhat difficult to find, with limited signs to guide you to it. It’s in the middle of a residential area called Paradyskloof, on the outskirts of Stellenbosch. This boutique hotel and restaurant looks very nice and bar/lounge and restaurant areas are inviting.

We were welcomed by friendly staff and opted to drink a bottle of bubbly outside in their garden, which was nice. From there on, the experience was unfortunately less positive. The food they served was disappointing, uninspired and bland. In fact to me it was so disappointing, that later that afternoon I could hardly recall what I had been eating. Add to this the steep prices, and I realized this is most certainly not a place to put on my ‘restaurant list’.

I don’t mind paying good money for lunch or dinner, but then expect a great experience. And there are various places in the Stellenbosch vicinity, which offer such an experience. On their website they mention that you will have a ‘one of a kind experience’. In our case this description should read a ‘once of a kind experience’. To say it was all bad is probably not fair, but the food doesn’t live up to expectations, and most certainly not the bill.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank LaurentPerrier
“Disappointin”
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

It is not a lie to say that it is very beautifully decorated in a unusual and interesting way. The food did not in my opnion match the decpration. I did not find the food tasty. But that may be me. I am traditional when it comes to eating.

Cape Town, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“FANTASTIC”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

The staff were warm and genuinely welcoming. We had drinks in the bar lounge (wow, what a bar!!!) and then we were escorted and seated at the restaurant. My clients loved the decor and the atmosphere; they are well travelled and were pleasantly surprised by the fashionable look of this establishment in the countryside of Stellenbosch!!! We all had a starter, main and dessert. The portions were perfect in size, very well presented and the feedback from my guests was that they thoroughly enjoyed their meal. I asked the maitre d' whether we could have our desserts and coffee back at the bar (seated on the most comfortable leather couch and ottomans) his reply: "not a problem at all, sir". Thank-you very much Majeka House and Makaron Restaurant for making my business dinner a great success, you will be seeing me again soon!!!

• Visited April 2012