“The most awful service i have ever encountered”

Decameron Restaurant
Ranked #66 of 248 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“The most awful service i have ever encountered”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This place was recommended to us by staff at our guest house and so we arrived with a reasonable expectation. This however was shattered by the terrible service after being seated we waited 20 minutes for staff to eventually speak to us and give us a menu. a further 10 minutes later I then went to the bar myself to get us a bottle of wine. A further 10 minutes later we placed our order for food - no apology for the wait or the fact I'd had to get my own drink from the bar. After a further 40 minutes and having consumed most of the wine with my wife starting to feel queasy we decided to leave. I approached the manager and explained we were leaving to be met with a shrug of the shoulders. I honestly could NOT believe it - I would've expected a better response from our local McDonalds. Unless you like a very very very long wait - DO NOT GO HERE!!

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank harb024

• Polish first
Bellville, South Africa
“Dinner with a smile”
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Lovely place to have dinner. It makes such a difference if the owner of a restaurant is on site to check that everything is running smoothly.

Good service and great food.

Will be back again

Visited January 2014
Stellenbosch, South Africa
“Return of an old favourite”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

When I moved to Stellenbosch twenty-five years back, Decameron was one of THE restaurants to go to in the town. Since then, the competition has got fierce, and Decameron was closed for some years whilst the building above it was entirely remodelled. It's been open again for a while now, and I've been back several times over the last few months. Although some other TripAdvisor reviewers are critical, I've enjoyed my visits, and I've had good food and good service on each occasion. Prices are reasonable in local terms - and if you're a visitor paying in foreign currency, the current state of the rand will of course have you smiling. The fact that the restaurant is full most weekends shows that a number of other locals agree.

Visited January 2014
Somerset West, South Africa
“What a dissapointment...not 10% of what it used to be...there are many, many more better restourants in Stellnbosch”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Me, my wife and friends visited the restaurant on Saturday night. It was the first time in about 5 years that we made a booking at Decameron, but because our friends are from Stellenbosch, we thought it was a good option...but it was a BIG, BIG disappointment.

We only have very good memories from the restaurant, but it was all destroyed in one evening. The restaurant itself is beautiful decorated, the atmosphere is good, the service was very friendly, but not good. Both myself and my wife received the wrong food. I ordered a veal dish , but got lamp, they just decided it was ok to change because they run out of veal..without asking me...and it was so skimpy, it was a disgrace.. My wife ordered a pork dish, but received the same dish, but with chicken...they run out of pork... We all had a mussel starter and that was very good. The wine list is good. BUT BE AWARE...THE FOOD ARE TOTALLY OVERPRICED for what you get.

Overall, the restaurant is not bad, but surely there are many, many other restaurants in Stellenbosch which will ensure you a much better and enjoyable evening out.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Bankiesa
Zurich, Switzerland
“A disappointment”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

What used to be the place in Stellenbosch has unfortunately changed into a place that does not meet up to its past anymore.
The lady at the front is incredibly unfriendly and rude. When I asked if we would receive our dinner after 1h and 20 minutes of waiting she said that that was not her business and we should contact the chef. Same reaction there. Hardly any apologies and no sorry upon our departure.
A simple nuisance.
The food on the other hand is great.

• Visited December 2013