“Amazing quality for an amazing price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cape Town Fish Market - CLOSED

Cape Town Fish Market
Cuisines: Seafood, Sushi, Healthy
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Serves Alcohol
Description: Stellenbosch Cnr Plein & Ryneveld Street Stellenbosch Tel 021 883 9216 Fax 021 883 9234 Cell 082 887 3998
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Amazing quality for an amazing price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

This restaurant is simply wonderful. The selection of fish is amazing and the sushi is top. The prices are also extremely competitive, especially when compared to Europe. The staff are also very friendly and customer centric!

Visited January 2014

• Turkish first
Hong Kong
“Food is OK, but the service was wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stopped off during the day as we were waling to our accomodation. Although the doors were open, clearly the place was not ready for customers. We popped our head in, and staff encouraged us to go inside and have a look.. We booked dinner for the same evening. Mavis was our waitress, and she was just adorable. Nothing was too much trouble, and when we moved outside after dinner to finish up our drinks, there was no problem, and Mavis even went to choose us the perfect table!
The food was nice, and the bill very reasonable. Had we been in Stellenbosch any longer, we would almost certainly have gone back. Enjoy!

Competa, Spain
“Long wait for dinner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We waited 1 h 10 min for our starters and then 20 min for our main course. The manager took no interest in peoples complaints. The problem was with the kitchen not the restaurant staff. Never again!

• Visited January 2014
Stellenbosch, South Africa
“Very poor. Slow service and the worst steak in SA during my 3 weeks holiday”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

I wish I had read the previous reviews before deciding to eat here. The slowest service we have experienced during our holidays and the food was poor. 45 mins before the starter arrived, consisting of fish cakes and the order of sushi, which was at best average. 45 mins for sushi is unacceptable. Other customers seemed to use their initiative and actually went up to the sushi bar themselves and got their food quicker.

Another 45 mins plus and as we were just complaining to the manager about the delay and actually in the process of asking for bill, the food magically arrived. So at 9.35 we received the main courses, a steak and a crayfish, the crayfish was 'caught' and shown to us at around 8.15 so quite how it takes 90 mins to cook a steak and a crayfish I will never know.

We had commented on how good the steaks in SA were, compared to the UK, and that to get a bad one must be unlucky, we'll this was my unlucky night. The worst steak by far. Grisly and fatty beyond belief and not cooked well. I like my steaks medium-rare but this was so bad I could not eat it all. The crayfish was just not worth the money (240 rand) as there was little meat on it.

The manager apologised but at the end of the day that's all we got. Not good enough and while we are only tourists and unlikely to visit again anyway, this review may hopefully forewarn other tourists and hopefully you can find alternative restaurants in the area for better food and service.

If the owner responds, I wonder if it will be the usual, standard response which seems to be the norm, or whether he will actually take the time to read this and respond to each individual?

• Visited December 2013
Chris M, General Manager at Cape Town Fish Market, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Chris M, General Manager at Cape Town Fish Market, responded to this review
yesterday
Dear Dave F,

It is with regret to receive feedback of this nature and that you have endured poor service delivery from our establisment during your visit to South Africa.

We have experienced challenges during this busy period and I would like to assure you that I did read your review and do take note of the details. Your review will also be shared with my team so that we can make a construtive effort to address these issues to avoid similar dissapointment to our other patrons.

It is clear that we have failed to deliver service and product of standard that we can be proud of. I would like to apologize on behalf of the CTFM Stellenbosch team for this experience and we hope that should you be able to travel to South Africa in the near future that we will be given an oppurtunity to make this up to you and to restore your confidence in our establisment, product and service.

Kind Regards,
Durban, South Africa
“Badly Soiled Fish - Gateway Branch - kzn”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

My family and i decided to go go to your gateway store on 26 December 2013 , we ordered a couple of dishes , my dish in particular was hake and chips, when our food arrived, i cut my hake in half and gave it to my 3 year old son, he for some reason refused to eat the fish and he usually thoroughly enjoys fish, i on the other hand ate my piece but while eating we kept on getting a fowl,very fishy smell we we sitting near the kitchen so we thought something had gone off.

After eating most of my fish i realized the smell was coming from our plates, i had just eaten soiled fish. We alerted the waiter who went to the told the manager , another waiter then came to apologise and we were told they were not sure as to what had happened, a minute later our original waiter came through to say that that is the way some batches of fish smell dependent on were the sourced from which is absolute nonsense, we then requested our bill and had to ask for the fish to be excluded from the bill .

We are not the type to complain or cause a seen so we paid our bill and we got ready to leave.

The manager of the restaurant did even once come and apologise or even acknowledge our complaint and the waiter still have the audacity to ask why he was not been tipped as he did not prepare the fish he only served it.

This kind of behavior from this restaurant is unacceptable.

i am now sick , I am not happy at all.Something needs to be done to prevent the next person from experiencing this, i just so thankful my son did not eat it.

i hope some type of action is taken , i would also like to be informed of your health and safety procedures. a major outlet such as yours should not have these types of situations.