“Very Disapointed”

Ranked #20 of 258 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: In November 2007 Overture Restaurant, situated on Hidden Valley Wines - a wine farm anchored into the side of the Stellenbosch hills - opened its doors for the very first time. Starting from humble beginnings, Overture soon became a destination for great food, service and wines. Since then, Chef Owners Bertus Basson and Craig Cormack have taken Overture to new heights with accolades as prestigious as being in the Eat Out top 10 for five years in a row and acquiring three stars in the Rossouw's Restaurant guide for four years running.You will find Bertus behind the pots at Overture while Craig focuses on his salt range, Amouleh.
South Africa
“Very Disapointed”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We had a super diner 2 years ago and wanted now to have a nice lunch at Overture. But we were very disapointed of the limited menu. I had no main, because only 2 choises, fish or lamb. And both a no go for me, there was no alternatieve. Also the starter one and two had limeted choise. So still hunry we left and the bill was still too high and over the top, also for the water!!

It shoud be a special lunch and now it was a depressive one! No we never come back again and we not advising any of our friends anymore. So friends decided not to come last Saturday!

No sorry to say you guys have lost it complety!

• Visited November 2013

Oslo, Norway
“Beyond our expectations”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

After watching the show "Ultimate Braai Master" on Travel Channel we really wanted to visit Bertus Basson's restaurant while visiting South Africa. So we booked a table at Overture before confirming the Cape Town part of our trip.

We had really high expectations, but the food was even better than we could dare to hope for. We arrived at Hidden Valley just berfore dark so we got to enjoy a bit of the amazing view before dinner. We always enjoy the food part in gourmet restaurants, but the ambiance is too often a bit too posh to our liking. You don't have to worry about that when you go to Overture because it has a really relaxed and friendly feeling.

The restaurant itself has a rustic modern look where you can watch the action in the kitchen. We very really suprised to see Bertus Basson in action in the kitchen, and frankly a bit starstruck.

We decided to have the 10 course tasting menu, which turned out to be a really good choice. The meal started with tapas with tapenade, bread and sweet potato chips before they started to serve the ten tasting courses.

Starters:

- aspargus with the best hollandaise sauce I've ever tasted
- Kudu bresola salad
- Smoked trout

Middle Courses:

- Grilled squid
- Impala heart, which was amazing and I'm so glad I had it even though I haven't eaten heart before.

Main Course:

- Yellow tail, my least favourite even though it tasted really good
- Sweetwell pork with so many side dishes, yum!

Here we got an extra dish, which was some kind of dessert, but I can't remember what it was.

Desserts:

- Some kind of caramelmousse pai with banana sorbet, super yum!
- Pavlova with strawberries and ice cream
- Taleggio with dades and walnuts and a yummy sauce.

I can't really decide on which dish I liked the most as they all were excellent, but all starters was truely some of the best I've ever had, the impala heart really suprised me in a good way, the pork was so so good and I loved all the desserts.

I also really liked that some of the dishes were served as sharing platters and that they took their time so noting felt rushed. At some point two dishes were switched because the kitchen felt it would be better, and that was another thing I really liked.

Unless you have a high tolerance for alcohol you shouldn't have the wine packages, or you can do as I did just drink a little bit of each glass so you get the best wine with the food but without getting drunk. 10 glasses is a lot, and South African glasses are generous. The portions are also generous, so maybe the 10 course isn't for everyone. But it was so tasty I'm so glad we ordered it. An amzing experience with amazing food in a great place with really nice waitors.

We will be back, no doubt!

• Visited October 2013
Cape Town
“Another treasure of the Winelands”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

According to the Eat Out 2013 Guide this restaurant was rated number 4 in South Africa and it did not disappoint. It lies almost at the "end of the road" in a very scenic part of the Winelands with great views (Table Mountain and Devils Peak in the far distance). We opted for the 3_course lunch with wine-paring. My wife and I started with the asparagus which had the best Hollandaise sauce I have ever tasted. We both had the pork dish which, again, we ate every morsel. I had the sago dessert which I thought was terrific. She reluctantly let me taste her chocolate mousse, which was sensational. The wines are also very good as this is one of the best red wine regions in my opinion. All in all, a satisfying lunch, agreed by all 5 of us. Pricy, but then again, it's in the Top 4 so it's world-class!

• Visited October 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Great wedding venue”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Our daughter got married at Hidden Valley Wine Farm with the reception at Overture restaurant.
It was brilliant. An absolutely stunning venue for a wedding. Magnificent backdrop. The cellars made a brilliant chapel. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. Food and wines terrific.
As a wedding venue it was sensational. I'm looking forward to coming back for lunch one day.

• Visited September 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Total Charm”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This was our second place to go for wine tasting and it was planned to have lunch there. What a treat, everything was charming, from the natural beautie of the surroundings, the restaurant decoration and excellent food. The staff were very nice and efficient. The wines one of the best we had in South Africa. A must on your schedule!

Visited August 2013