“For my birthday in september we went to overture restaurant”

Overture at Hidden Valley
Ranked #20 of 271 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: In November 2007 Overture Restaurant, situated on Hidden Valley Wines - a wine farm anchored into the side of the Stellenbosch hills - opened its doors for the very first time. Starting from humble beginnings, Overture soon became a destination for great food, service and wines. Since then, Chef Owners Bertus Basson and Craig Cormack have taken Overture to new heights with accolades as prestigious as being in the Eat Out top 10 for five years in a row and acquiring three stars in the Rossouw's Restaurant guide for four years running.You will find Bertus behind the pots at Overture while Craig focuses on his salt range, Amouleh.
Reviewed October 8, 2013

From the tapas and freshly baked bread on arrival, we had a unforgettable flavour to our steak and fish paired with wine we had the four course menu very good value. Bertus is a very talented chef and we had attentive, charming staff who took care of our every need. We had a cup of freshly roasted coffee and petit fours to finish! That was our second visit to the restaurant and we were not disappointed...Nick and Franca du PLessis

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Foodies, you read it here first: Stellenbosch is the new Franschhoek. And right at the top of must-visit, must-experience, must-eat-there list is Overture.
We sat at the counter that faces the kitchen (though the views are stunning, should you rather be seated at a table) and it was such a cool experience to watch Chef Bertus Basson and his team prepare the food. If you're hoping to witness a display a la Gordon Ramsay, you'll be disappointed. Everybody here knew what they were doing - and would help out whenever the pressure got a bit much at one station. Chef Bertus's quiet, friendly demeanour particularly impressed me. Whether speaking to one of his staff members (I stopped counting after I heard him say 'please' the tenth time) or a guest, he was unfailingly courteous and gracious.
The service was great and Thembi's wine-pairing suggestions were spot on.
Okay, so that's the background, what about the food? Superb. Pictured here is my starter - it tasted of spring and freshness. The smoked feta and the nasturtium pesto were touches of genius. Said my companion: 'I want to eat this for supper, too!'
The other courses were also fantastic. There was yummy pork from Barrydale - and the angelfish looked amazing. I wished I had more space as I would have loved to just keep on eating.
Hidden Valley's wines are also superb. It was the first time I tasted them. A clear favourite? The red blend Hidden Gems. The MCC a close second.
If you're reading this, then I hope it's because you're planning a trip to Stellenbosch. Don't make the mistake of not visiting Overture while you're there...

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Had a superb single course lunch here so went back two days later for a four course taster menu. By British standards it represents astoundingly good value - 295 Rand for food of this quality with service to match cannot be considered robbery - but I understand that this is top end for South Africa. Wines and water are relatively expensive. Coffee relatively cheap. The only downside if you are staying in Capetown is the driving distance so someone has to be nominated driver and stay off the grog. The dining area was also distinctly chilly during the current unseasonably cold weather.

We bumped into a Californian who reckons this to be the best restaurant in South Africa. I shall reserve judgement on this one but I would certainly have no reservation in offering a recommendation.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

One of the tests of a great restaurant is how they manage when the Chef/Patron is away. Chef Bertus has been in France for a week or so and previously off filming the Braai Master TV series. Chef Adele Grewar has run the kitchen seamlessly. Yet another lunch yesterday was a magnificent feast, made all the more wonderful by amazing Front of House service.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We have frequently enjoyed a meal at Overture, and our most recent visit confirmed why we return there! We were welcomed by the professionally friendly staff, and once again treated to Bertus Basson's superb menu! We chose the 4 course option with a wine pairing. Not a single dish dissapointed! A cold wintery Cape night was soon forgotten as the roaring fires warmed the atmosphere. Thembi the sommelier once again impressed with his outstanding wine knowledge & enthusiam of pairing wine and food. We will return for another decadent treat!