“Very nice, a bit pricey though”

Bukhara Stellenbosch
Ranked #96 of 262 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We had a hankering for Indian food, so we decided to treat ourselves at Bukhara since it the only Indian restuarant I know of in the Winelands. First I must say that my initial impression was that it was very good and the food was delicious.. and it is... it is just after some thought, certain negatives do pop into my head. Firstly the price.. It cost R503 excluding tip for two people. We did not have starters and we do not drink, so no wine etc.. So after tip it cost on average R275 a person for a curry and a pudding and a coke (you had to buy the rice and naan bread etc as a extra as it was not included in the price of the curry).. to me that seems a bit excessive.. yes it was good curry but still.. Secondly although I do enjoy the flavours of India, I do not enjoy food that burns my mouth, we chose the Korma as we were told by our waiter that the korma was the mildest there was. It was edible ito of heat but it was still a fraction too hot! It occured to me that the food was not made in the kitchen fresh, if it was they would have been able to make any dish with less chili? And the last of my negatives was the ambience.. I love the red walls and ceiling, but it had huge expanse of glass (you could see the kitchen from the inside) and I felt maybe it was a bit barren.. perhaps if it had more Indian charachter then it would have added dimension to our experience. But that said, over all the food was delicious, the service impeccable.. I would go there again but not often

Haiku_Management, Manager at Bukhara Stellenbosch, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2017

Firstly, apologies for the very late reply.

Our online reputation is now under management and reviews will be responded to in a far more timeous fashion from now onwards.

There are newer reviews for Bukhara Stellenbosch

Reviewed April 9, 2014

I have never been big on spicy foods. SWAMBO (google it) enjoys curry, and we ordered the Beef Kali Mirch for a starter which was very tasty. She then had Lamb Korma and I had the lamb shank which blew me completly away. We will definitly be eating more spicy fooodin future :)

Haiku_Management, Owner at Bukhara Stellenbosch, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2017

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Our party of 4 made a last minute decision to go Indian and the Bukhara was firmly in our sights. The restaurant was quiet the night we arrived and we were looking forward to a new culinary experience as the last Indian meal we had was in Belfast!
We were shown to our table and served with drinks and the menus promptly. We decided to order a mix for starters followed by a main course each. The starters arrived and what a delight followed 30 mins later by the mains. No matter what you order here you will not be disappointed, both the meat and fish dishes are scrumptious and we had no room for dessert!
The ambiance was pleasant and the service exceptional, you also have full view of the kitchen and preparation of the food which adds to the overall experience. Recommend the chicken vindaloo......

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

The food is just as good as it was when I first ate at bukhara in 2006. Service could have been slightly better otherwise a fantastic evening. The curries are amazing.

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

A fairly warm welcome when we arrived but waited for ages to get a menu and even longer to order a drink. We ordered an expensive bottle of champagne which was cold when first delivered but warm by the time we received an ice bucket. The food was fairly good but service and lack of ambience let the place down. With so much choice of great restaurants in stellenbosch I don't think we would return here.

1  Thank Schmapril

Firstly, apologies for the very late reply.

Secondly, thank you for your rating and we humbly apologise for your experience for being less than satisfactory.