“Wonderful staff - Great Atmosphere!”

iKhaya Stellenbosch Backpackers
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Wonderful staff - Great Atmosphere!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

iKhaya Backpackers is a warm and friendly place, with a fantastic vibe! Service is of a very good standard, and being in the industry myself I am very critical with regards to these types of situations.

So yes, I would go there again and I would definately bring guests there - will continue to promote iKhaya and their team!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Aalborg, Denmark
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at iKhaya with my girlfriend 6 months ago and now that I have started reviewing on TA, I felt the urge to review this place, because I haven't forgotten about our miserable stay, and back then I promised myself to review this place - the only negative experience from traveling 3 weeks in South Africa. Hopefully, iKhaya have made improvements during this time.

I see other reviews complimenting iKhaya for wonderful personnel. Sadly, we did not get to meet any of these, only a lady indifferent to our presence. I wonder if she ever smiles...

We ordered a private room, but as it was inside a dorm with very thin walls and window facing the balcony where people were smoking, we might just have gone with the dorm. I don't expect hotel conditions from a backpacker place, but knowing about these conditions beforehand would have been pretty nice.

If you like sleeping where other people cook their food any time of day, I guess iKhaya does have a "Unique Selling Point". I knew about the "self catering apartments" from their website, but didn't expect a private room to put me in the dormitory kitchen (at 4 times the dormitory price!). Had I known prior to our stay that iKhaya apartments and dorms are essentially being the same, I would have chosen another place and spared iKhaya another bad review.

The double bed was also awful and I started each day in Stellenbosch (which is wonderful btw) with a sore back. Also, we experienced the mould in the bathroom.

The only positive thing that I can say about iKhaya is that management seems to be taking these reviews seriously - hopefully taking action on all these bad remarks.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LauStarcke
Nick D, Manager at iKhaya Stellenbosch Backpackers, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear LauStarcke,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an informative review. We are extremely sorry to hear of your negative experience with us at iKhaya.
As we are currently in the process of renovating each room one-by-one, we assure you that we are dealing with the issues mentioned above. We have since put in a lot of time and effort into renovating the rooms.

At iKhaya we pride ourselves on providing the best possible service to all guests. We have since been focusing on training members of staff in order to improve the overall quality of service delivered by the iKhaya team.

Our guests experience is the only way for us to measure our service and standards we strive to offer. Your comments will be used constructively to aid in the improvement of iKhaya. Please accept my most sincerest apology for the inconvenience you experienced.

Kind Regards

Manager

Travelers are raving about these Stellenbosch hotels

Cape Town
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

Impressed by the warmhearted service provided by the staff, especially Ashely's. Whatever we needed, Ashely would sort it out for us. Rooms are neat and comfy, and the breakfast is a steal. Great view from the terrace too. All-round great experience. And got to love the drinks prices downstairs at the bar.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at ikhaya, the staff were super friendly expecially Ashley who went out of her way to help in anyway she could, booking tours and phoning around to get me into accomodation on my next stop. Great breakfast, clean but basic rooms, what else do you need.
Will definitly be back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

If you want to meet the local people of Stellenbosch go and sit on the couch of Ikhaya. You will have a very nice time, great conversations and even a nice dance with barmen. Cheap place with priceless people. You will meet the world just on the corner of Bird Street.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Wales
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

The only positive about this place are the regular staff members (both guys behind bar and cleaners), who were both helpful and friendly. Then this place goes a bit down hill.... we booked a dorm and compared to the rest of the dorms we've stayed at in S.Africa this was terrible (for the same price). It consisted of a couple of bunk beds in a damp moldy room where the main light didn't work. The same room has a kitchen within it with no dividing barrier. As it is a student town and the reception is basically a bar it is very loud most nights (often 1-2am) and without ear plugs we would have gone crazy. Putting all that aside we thought we had just got an unlucky draw until the business on the last day....
We had been traveling by Baz Bus and required a shuttle to get to iKhaya. In the morning we spoke to the receptionist who said they would pick us up between 6:30-7pm and asked if we could leave bags upstairs we was agreed seeing as we weren't actually using any beds and the room was empty anyway (as it had been the four nights previously). Then at 6pm we got a call from the Baz Bus asking where we were, the hostel had given us the wrong time and not informed us. We were then greeted by the manager, who obviously has no idea how to handle customers as he instantly blamed us for this problem. Then when he found out we had left our bags upstairs he refused to give us back our key deposit (R50 not much but the manner in which he spoke and reasoning was terrible). Naturally we protested but he just responded back angrily and we needed the lift so left it. (However on a plus note he forgot to charge us for the shuttle bus either way so we actually made R150 profit, I hope the manager reads this part).
To summarize their are alot better hostels in Stellenbosch from what I have read for the same price, don't visit here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick D, Manager at iKhaya Stellenbosch Backpackers, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Hi Mr. Rettie

We thank you very much for taking the time to post such a honest and informative review.
As we are currently undergoing some changes as a business, I personally value every response all be it positive or negative so that we can use this for fuel towards aiding our improvements.

With regards to the room, we are currently undergoing renovations. I am unsure as to which room you were allocated but clearly it must of been the room that had not been tended to yet and I am greatly sorry for this. Since then I have personally put a lot of hard work into repairing and repainting our rooms so as to improve all guests quality of stay.
With regards to the main light in the room not working, I ask if this was communicated to any member of our staff as all maintenance is seen to by myself and I was not informed of this problem until now.

I have spoken to all members of my staff and discussed the matter with BazBus and concluded that although there was ample confusion with the arrival of the BazBus which was running ahead of schedule, it does boil down to our negligence, not staying in contact with the driver and messages not being communicated to fellow staffs.
I have also since discussed the matter further with the manager in reference about his demeanor and he apologises for the way he reacted. This will surely not happen again. Thus the reason for the transfer being free of charge due to the inconvenience caused to you.
We pride ourselves in delivering professional and friendly service to all guests and when receiving a review such as yours I see to it immediately and remedy the source.

Again, I thank you for your review and appologise for the inconvenience caused. If you feel the need to discuss any further improvements please feel free to contact me on email. (ndaneel@stellenboschbackpackers.co.za)
I hope that if you see yourself in Stellenbosch again you will come to have a look at us again and maybe we can win you back!

Kind Regards

Management
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Comparing to other backpackers this backpackers is not very friendly. There is no free wifi and no free baz bus shuttle. No one showed me where the room was or where the facilities were. The kitchen is in the same room as the dorm and the bathroom didnt look very clean to me.

• Stayed May 2013
Matthew D, Manager at iKhaya Stellenbosch Backpackers, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi Amsterdam90

We are sorry to hear of your poor experience with us at iKhaya.

We regret to hear that you felt we were unfriendly as we take pride in offering a warm welcome to all of our guests. With your help I hope that we can get to the bottom of the problem as quick as possible and to avoid any future unfriendliness.

As for the matter of paying for WiFi and BazBus transfers we are currently undergoing some changes as a business and are considering offering free WiFi along with complimentary BazBus transport which will happen in due course.

As we are a large backpackers sleeping up to 68 people we feel one of our unique selling points is that our guests do not all have to make use of one communal kitchen, as a result each room does have their own kitchen.

Currently we are undergoing some changes including a renovation of all rooms at our backpackers any and all reviews are welcome so as for us to provide the best possible service to all future guests, if you feel you would like to advise us on any other points you felt needed improving please email me at (ndaneel@stellenboschbackpackers.co.za).

Thank you very, much for your feedback.

Kind Regards.