“Good Food and Great Service”
Review of Binnenhof

Binnenhof
Ranked #150 of 279 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: Dutch
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Tel: +27218879560; Definitely not listed under Stellenbosch yet...
Reviewed April 6, 2013

A few weeks ago we walked down the streets of Stellenbosch browzing for a supper spot. The colourful tables at the end of Ryneveld street attracted our attention and we had a look at the menu. A bearded man approached us and seated us. He explained the menu - very detailed with regards to food and wine. Following his recommendation, I had a trio of game medalions and my wife settled for boboti. Both our meals paired very nicely with the bottle of Shiraz which our friend suggested. After a very fine meal, he offered us coffee and brandy. The Binnenhof restaurant truly presented us with a fantastic culinary experience including great service and informed recommendations.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Although it is in a prime setting, I don't know how they stay open - probably rely on passing tourist trade. The food took ages, although the restaurant was more than half empty. It wasn't very nice at all - steaks overdone, fish inedible! We battled to get the attention of the waiters (who are very sloppily dressed and not well trained). The owner seemed very disinterested in his customers and more in his wine. Not a great experience, and, as locals, not one we will repeat.

1  Thank Fran R
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The menu sounded promising, the owner seemed pleasant when we called in the day before to book for dinner, but from then on unfortunately it was downhill. Although not unduly busy, we waited a long time for our food order to be taken, then an unacceptably long time for it to be served. Granted, were sitting outside, so food could cool down a little, but the carrots were stone cold on arrival. My husband's warthog steak was fine, but my bobotie ( served as a " slab " ) was warm around the edges and completely cold in the middle. Clearly not been in the microwave long enough ----- and I could have made a meal from scratch in the time we had waited ! The owner did offer to replace my meal with something else, but I could not face another long wait.
However, when my husband went to pay for his meal and our drinks, the owner did not charge for anything, which was fair enough. But a disappointing experience.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We visited Binnenhof in December 2012. The one of the best parts was very good service: easy-going and everything what we ever asked was "OK". The food was delicious and at that time at least there was a good choice of game on menu. Place itself is very cozy and has a central location.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Had dinner at Binnenhof on Saturday night. Without a doubt the worst dining experience of my life. Service was shocking, food took more than an hour to be served and was cold. Bobotie was unedible and the sirloin steak ordered medium was eventually served very rare. The sauce was requested on the side but was slopped on top. Avoid at all costs!! This type of establishment gives Stellenbosch a bad name and deserves to close as a matter of urgency.

1  Thank bradt274