“The best in town”

Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We chose this hotel, because of it excellent location in mid-town, good reviews, the look of the website and free off-road parking. The reception area is small, but the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The restaurant is a bit expensive compared to what we were use to in SA. We were very happy that we got a free late check-out in an other room as we had a mid-night flight out of Capetown. Can be highly recommended

Room Tip: We stayed in room 6 which was a bit small, but had a lovely balcony and as it is partly under a roof...
1  Thank Okke S
Ma-Afrika, Manager at Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Okke S,

Thank you for the positive feedback.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Great place in the middle of Stellenbosch. Brilliant service, friendly staff, super breakfast and great clean rooms. If you go to the winelands I suggest you stay there. Will ne defo back.

Ps: within meters there are plenty of great bars....

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear endaxi0815,

Reviewed March 24, 2014

It's pretty, it's in the centre of Stellenbosch, it has a lovely dining terrace at the front, and best of all the staff are just so lovely. There's a small pool at the back but really it's all about location and this hotel is where it's all happening. Go stay.

Room Tip: We had the petite room number 16 and it was very large so great value for money. Calling it " p...

Dear TravelMaxxer,

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for our honeymoon. Everyone was friendly and very helpful - the best thing about this hotel was the location- you could walk everywhere no need to drive. Breakfast in the morning was excellent - our room with the little balcony was very welcoming and charming. Would return to this hotel and recommend it.

1  Thank Sharen210

Dear Sharen210,

Reviewed March 18, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel, the furnishings and decor and service are top class. Unfortunately on our first night we stayed in room 1, which was right above the kitchen and hence the noise of the cooks crashing around at 6am woke us up. I asked the reception if we could be moved and it was not a problem, everything got sorted after a couple of hours. Perfect location, right in the heart of Stellenbosch so we didnt need our car in the evenings as most restaurants and bars were right on our doorstep. Didnt get chance to eat in Helena's restaurant, but upon leaving one night we glanced in and saw the food and it looked very good. Will definitely stay here on our next visit to Stellenbosch, loved it.

Room Tip: Avoid room 1, its right above the kitchen and the noise of the cooks preparing the food will wake yo...

Dear Tresadla,

Reviewed March 15, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights last week and had a fantastic stay. We had a very friendly welcome and were shown to our room, a lovely, fresh feeling and well decorated room at the back of the property with a balcony overlooking the pool. We appreciated the turn down service in the evenings.

The hotel is in the heart of Stellenbosch and an ideal base for exploring on foot. The car was valet parked and was brought to you promptly whenever you needed it.

We had dinner at the hotel one night which was very nice, its nice to sit on the street terrace. The breakfast is also very good and its a great touch to follow the buffet option up with freshly cooked warm options.

We really enjoyed our stay and will recommend to anyone we know that visits Stellenbosch.

Dear Gillian_George,

Thank you for the positive feedback.

Would you be so kind as to post a review on our Helena’s Restaurant page as well?
You can simply follow http://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Restaurant_Review-g312673-d3840594-Reviews-Helena_s_Restaurant-Stellenbosch_Western_Cape.html to do so.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

We stayed at this hotel from the 7th to the 12th March. We were in the Stellenbosch area for a family wedding. This was a trip of a life time and we spent approximately 75,000 ZA on this trip. As my parents were travelling with us and my mum is slightly disabled I put a lot of research into the hotels we were to stay in.
We initially stayed at the place on the bay hotel in camps bay for 5 nights and had an amazing time. So I was really looking forward to staying in Stellenbosch as I had been in touch with the hotel by phone and email on several occasions prior to booking.
I had booked a classic courtyard room as 'ALL' classic courtyard rooms have a balcony. I knew this would be extremely important as with our 9 month old taking regular naps it would be ideal to sit outside while she was sleeping and also if the room was being cleaned. I also advised on an email how important it was that we got the balcony. I received email confirmation of my booking which stated our room had a balcony. My parents booked the same type of room as a balcony is invaluable for my mam as she cannot get out and around without a scooter/wheelchair and she loves nothing better than sitting outside doing her Sudoku.
Prior to our departure I had been in touch with the assistant manager Joann Wess in relation to organising a mobility scooter for my mother. She told me no problem at all, they would organise this. I came back to her closer to our departure date to say we were having trouble sourcing a scooter for camps bay and could she help us with that. She said it would be no problem as she was just waiting on price from her source. She came back to me on the Monday before we departed on the following Saturday to say no mobility scooter could be got AT ALL and that we would have to buy one???? No apology, no offer to try elsewhere or to give me some people I could try contact, basically got the impression at this point that she was washing her hands of it and tough luck.
When we arrived we were given room 14 (my Parents) and room 17 (us). Room 17 has no balcony and over looks the bins at the back of the hotel. To access this room you must climb extremely steep flight of stairs. So with a 9 month old we were climbing what I would call 'dangerous' stairs and then when she would need to sleep one or both of us would have to stay in the room in the dark for 1.5 - 2 hours 2/3 times a day, while listening to staff outside emptying bottle bins or having a good chin wag. I phoned the reception to complain and was told they would look into it. By the following morning I had still heard nothing so I went to Joanne Wess to ask what had happened and that I wasn't happy, she gave me some crap excuse that they did try to accommodate me and that room 17 was still a classic courtyard. NO IT IS NOT, as your website says ALL classic courtyard rooms have a balcony. Again she wasnt willing to do anything for me and as I was there on a family wedding I decided to let it go, but by the end of our trip I couldn't wait to get out of there. My parents room was also very small and they had no balcony either. I found Joanne to be extremely insincere, yes she would help you and go through the motions but she really didn't care in my book.
Had she been unable to give us a balcony room she should have notified me and I would have booked the apartment at the hotel next door oude on werf, but nobody contacted me and they still charged the same price as a classic courtyard. I don't care what excuses they give We didn't get what we paid for and on the trip of a lifetime it ruined it for us.
The rest of the staff were extremely helpful and made up for the room being such a disaster for us.
This hotel also advertises itself as being wheelchair friendly - IT IS NOT. there are steps up to the front door?? But in saying that Stellenbosch in itself is not wheelchair friendly, as there may be a ramp off one path but no corresponding ramp to get onto the path on the opposite side of the road. My poor mother put up some miles on her scooter just trying to get to a café down the road.
All I can say is if you really want a room with a balcony get it confirmed not only by email but by phone as well, and even at that they may not be ale to 'accommodate' you.
The good points
excellent breakfast
Great at booking golf and restaurants
Central location
But we certainly will not be back.

Room Tip: All service at this hotel was fantastic from all of the staff but if you have a problem, management...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank SusieQ1978
Ma-Afrika, Manager at Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear SusieQ1978,

Thank you for taking the time in writing this review. We value all of our guest’s comments highly as it is important for improving our services and product.

We do apologize profusely once again that your experience at Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa did not exceed your expectations.

We will correspond directly with you in regards to you specific complaints and requests.

We hope you will grant us the opportunity to change your experience in the future by returning to our hotel.