“Very friendly, great weekend away!”

Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Cape Town
“Very friendly, great weekend away!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

We had a great stay here for 2 nights. Everyone was very friendly and helpful and made sure we were happy during our stay. Location is perfect and you can walk around Stellenbosch easily. The rooms are very nice with a great bed and a balcony where we could actually enjoy the sun! A very nice breakfast and excellent coffee.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

This is quite a special little place, very well situated for a visit to central Stellenbosch. Quality linen, very comfortable and charming room.

The breakfast is also great, and they quickly made a plan and produced a great English breakfast when the electricity was cut in Stellenbosch at 8am, breakfast-time. They need a power generator at this level of hotel.

The service at breakfast was charming, Libby does a great job. Unfortunately I cannot say the same about Wonder at the front desk, he always appeared somewhat bewildered. This morning I phoned at 7 am to see whether they have newspapers, and even when these arrived shortly thereafter, he did not bother to send me a paper. One should not only have received a newspaper of your choice at this level of hotel, he could have sent it to my room, seeing that I phoned for one!

Great place, they should however attend to the front desk. They need another Libby!

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Hooggenoeg
Luanda, Angola
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Found the Hotel by mistake as I was in another hotel just close by. I must say it was one of the good mistakes I have made in the last few weeks! The environment is very warm inside, not only in terms of the temperature, but starting with the entire staff. The way everyone interacts with you, it makes you feel at home away from home. Extremely friendly staff and always ready to help, and always with a genuine smile!
The hotel itself is well located in the heart of Stellenbosch, very clean inside, and with heated floors in the bathrooms, which is quite handy in Cape Town's winter.
I had the opportunity to try the breakfast, and again, it was good and with an acceptable variety.
There is a free fast internet wireless service, which is indeed "fast", and good variety of TV channels in the rooms.
Thank you guys, I had a real good time in Stellenbosch, and mostly thanks to you, so be assured that I will be back...

• Stayed June 2013
Somerset West, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I booked my wife and I into this little boutique hotel for one night after we returned from separate trips overseas. The idea was to just get away from all that was waiting for us at home and enjoy a cosy hotel, watch TV or something and eat good food. The Coopmanhuijs did not disappoint in any area. From the moment we walked in we were treated like royalty. All the staff were super friendly, helpful and proficient. As the hotel is in the heart of the trendy part of Stellenbosch, walking out the friend door you will find yourself faced with many options for lunch or dinner. The hotel has some parking bays so just give your keys to management and they will park your car so you need not worry about security or finding parking anywhere. You will not need your car as most of what you would want to see is in easy walking distance. Breakfast is wonderful so be sure to leave sufficient time in your schedule to sample a bit of everything on the buffet table and cooked breakfasts from the menu.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

The 5 star boutique hotel is well located right in the heart of Stellenbosch in Church Street, within walking distance to a host of lovely shops and restaurants. Guests have the option of 3 different room types: Petite Rooms, Classic Courtyard Rooms and Classic Manor Rooms – totaling 16 rooms. Each room is carefully finished with a welcome note, Charlotte Rhys amenities, under-floor heating in the bathrooms, fully stocked mini-bar (additional cost), romantic turn down, and separate toilet to bathroom.

The hotel has everything you need from dining options in the newly vamped restaurant, a spa with a 2 treatment rooms, sauna and steam room, wine and lounge bar, free internet, swimming pool, valet parking and very wheelchair friendly.

The staff by far ensured your every need was met, and welcomed you with a smile and open arms. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

I highly recommend this property, for a romantic weekend away in the winelands. Just remember to close the bedroom windows at night, before tucking in for the night if your room faces the street.

Room Tip: Stay away from a street facing room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Cape Town
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was the second stay at this establishment,the previous one being some time ago. We,that is my wife and i were keen to see if the establishment was up to the same standard as it was before. We were pleasantly surprised-not only was it up to the same standards but was even better. We also dined in the hotel one evening and this was an excellent meal served by first class waiters

Room Tip: We had room no 5. This was one of the better rooms but could be a bit noisy in the evenings as it is...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
hong kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I'm not sure why this place had such great reviews. We stayed here for 2 nights during our honeymoon in May. The location is supurb and I do appreciate the property's beauty and history but...

rooms - uhm... my husband and I are not large people... We booked one of the larger rooms (I think most rooms are "larger" and they have 2 smaller rooms) but we didn't even really have space to open our suitcase. It was so clausterphobic in there that we tried to only go back to the room to sleep. The common areas of the hotel also feel very tight with very narrow hallways. It was quite a relief when we moved to the asara hotel for the next leg of our trip..

service - I found this quite average. People were polite but I did not feel they were nearly as friendly as the other hotels we stayed in in S.Africa. In fact I don't remember engaging in any conversation with the staff here at all!

breakfast - not terrible but was by far the worst of the 4 hotels I stayed at on this trip. The cold food was ok. there was a good selection of fruits, breads/pastires, cerials, cheese and coldcuts. For the hot breakfast my husband and I both ordered omlettes which were overly salty, dry, and just not worth eating when there's so much good food elsewhere in stellenbosch. For the second day we didn't even bother with the hot food and suck to the cold options.

spa - given this hotel is "coopmanhuijs boutique hotel and spa" I assumed they would have proper spa facilities. When I tried to book a couple's spa, I was told they only have one masseuse and that we could either take turns getting a massage or they could hire an external masseuse to come to the property. We gave this a miss and went to a proper spa.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple