“I Want to Go Back...”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Newton, Massachusetts
“I Want to Go Back...”
Reviewed October 5, 2011

What a great place! The hotel is lovely and conveniently located in town for walks to restaurants and shopping. Our room was pretty and comfortable with a new bathroom, complete with heated floor. We loved the breakfasts; great selection of fruits, nuts, cheeses, cakes and pastries and a hot breakfast if desired. I absolutely agree with other reviewers that the staff was outstanding! They were warm and welcoming, helpful with recommendations, and fun people to be around.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Cape Town
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Gave just returned from the most enjoyable weekend break at Coopmanhuijs. There was a problem with our booking through Hotels.com but the efficient staff sorted it out without a fuss. The hotel is simply Devine and deserves it's 5 stars. everything was perfect from the friendly staff to the lovely breakfasts to the fire in the small and intimate lounge. If I had one complaint it would be that the lift is slow.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
atlanta
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Coopmanjuijs is a wonderful place to stay. The rooms were comfortable--bed was amazing. But what really stands out for me are the people. Everyone was helpful, gracious, and excited to be at the hotel. They made you feel welcome and were completely helpful when you had a question. I plan to be in Stellenbosch a few times a year for business and will make Coopmanhuijs my first place to book.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Stayed here for a couple of nights on my recent SA trip and was overall pleased with my stay. Very reasonably priced for a 5 star property I found no doorman or parking assistant upon arrival to help out, although the street was more than busy and parking nearly impossible. Check in rather smooth and friendly, although I had to come in with my luggage to be helped.

Facilities and room were very nice, bed all comfortable, nice balcony and a beautiful and large bathroom with floor heating. Very clean, very nice. Wlan at no additional cost, easy and good dinner arrangements, excellent breakfast (in terms of quality and choice).

Only drawback is that I just don't consider this place to be worth of 5 stars. Front desk staff varies from icy (grumpy and not willing to help) to absolutely magnificent (all professional and friendly), breakfast service was unreliable (one out of two days I was not offered hot breakfast, though obviously part of the deal) and when leaving the place I found minor items (hygiene articles I bought earlier) to be removed from my car.

Finally I can recommend this place apart from minor problems I encountered.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank mrsmith0179
Home2wn, General Manager at Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Dear Mr S.0179

Thank you for choosing and staying at Coopmanhuijs, albeit not a completely satisfying visit.

May I offer my sincere apologies for the minor problems you experienced during your stay.

Parking in Stellenbosch, especially in the centre of town, is a huge problem. In fact, I had a meeting with the Mayor just yesterday where we discussed this issue in detail. We always have a parking assistant on duty at the hotel. Unfortunately though, he could have been busy exactly upon the hour of your arrival. Had we known that you were outside, we definitely would have sent immediate help re. valet parking as well as luggage carrying.

I am truly taken aback by your comment that some of the Front Office staff were 'icy, grumpy & not willing to help'. We are regarded as one of the most hospitable hotels in the Stellenbosch- and wider regions. If you would be so kind to send me more information, i.e staff-on-duty, etc., I will be able to address this problem immediately and with greater efficiency (and effect). My sincere apologies. I had no idea.

We are in the process of appointing highly-qualified staff from a local Hotel School in order to upgrade our breakfast service.

Regarding the 'minor hygiene articles' being removed from your car: kindly let me know who the responsible party was who either parked or fetched your car, and again, I will be able to issue the normal disciplinary actions, as well as send replacements, should you wish to forward your address in Frankfurt.

We at Coopmanhuijs are committed to ensure that every single guest is welcomed with warmth and sincere hospitality. My staff is truly dedicated to help and assist guests wherever and whenever they can. My sincerest apologies if your experience at Coopmanhuijs did not reflect these commitments.

Kindly let me know when (or if...) you will be traveling to South Africa again, and it will be our pleasure to offer you a one-night complimentary stay,

Regards
Ilzebet O.
Manager
Ps. feel free to address any further comments to my personal mailbox at gm@coopmanhuijs.co.za
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2011

If you are looking for a comfortable, friendly and tasteful small hotel in a superb town location, then look no further! The wonderful staff greet you as long lost friends rather than as hotel clients, yet they never intrude and offer generous and sound advice. We felt at home from day 1 for our week long visit that combined business with some outings. Our room was immaculately clean and tastefully decorated with comfortable beds and a large modern shower room. Breakfast was of a high standard and as big as you wanted it to be. Stellenbosch is a charming small town which appears clean and safe. Everything in the town can including restaurants, shops and the university conference facilities can be easily reached on foot but you will need a car if you want to venture further. There are two major car hire establishments within 100yards of the hotel. ****** Go on - treat yourself!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Peter_UK_123
cardiff
Reviewed August 12, 2011

As a group of friends looking for somewhere to unwind at the end of our holiday we found the perfect place in Coopmanhuijs!
It is centrally located with plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance, some of us enjoyed the spa facilities and we even tried the pool even though it was winter and not really warm enough!
The staff were very friendly and accommodating, especially our waiter at breakfast. There is free internet and also secure parking. The rooms were lovely, big beds, large shower, underfloor heating.
Definitely a place we would return to.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2011

From the moment we arrived the staff just wanted us to relax even the registration paperwork was in our room to complete at our leisure. Absolutely central just moments from shops, bars, restaurants and sights. Our car was parked for us and the breakfast was excellent.

Room Tip: Room 10 was very quiet