“"Relaxing and central"”

22 Die Laan Self-Catering Accommodation
Essen
“"Relaxing and central"”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Die Laan 22 gave us a moment of luxury after a long trip through the Western Cape. Beautiful rooms (clean, big, very good equipped with magazines, a/c ...), a nice swimming pool close to very nice flowers and trees. walking distance to the city and a perfect starting point to the vineyards of Stellenboosch. fair prices, nice staff.
Thank you very much (and Hildegard, too).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
22DIELAANGUESTHOUSE, Owner at 22 Die Laan Self-Catering Accommodation, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us, and then with such specific remarks. It truly assists in us knowing what our guests want and need, and helps us to improve where necessary.

It gives us great pleasure when guests experience their stay at 22 Die Laan Guest House so positively, and we hope that we'll have the privilege of hosting you again.

Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We loved it- it was everything you'd want in a guest house- clean, beautiful, friendly, great location, lovely- we would absolutely come back. It was simple and luxurious at the same time. A great stop-over while in stellenbosch.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
22DIELAANGUESTHOUSE, Owner at 22 Die Laan Self-Catering Accommodation, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your feedback and your kind words. It is much appreciated, especially as every member of our team works really hard at meeting the needs of our guests as best possible.

We look forward to hosting you again at some point in the future.

Cologne, Germany
Reviewed January 10, 2013

During my one week business trip I did not have much free time. But this free time I enjoyed a lot!
Espeacially becuase of the very nice atmosphere at the 22 Die Laan guesthouse. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Therefore, a very familiar atmosphere came up. Also the daily changing breakfast was lovingly prepared. In total, the hospitality was outstanding!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thanks very much for your feedback as well as your kind words about our staff and our hospitality.

It is important to the team at 22 Die Laan Guest House that our guests feel welcome and at home, so I am really pleased that you experienced the atmosphere in such a positive way.

We hope to see you again some time in the future.

Kind regards.

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed January 4, 2013

If you Rent the Self Catering Apartment ( Koch Street) be aware that there is nothing except a fridge. No cooking equipment, no dishes, no oven, only a microwave. The sunshine will wake you up, because there is no dark curtains. An apartment without air condition gives you an excellent feeling for the summer heat. But, the staff is very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: De Laan 22 is o.k. The self catering apartment is not acceptable.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
22DIELAANGUESTHOUSE, Owner at 22 Die Laan Self-Catering Accommodation, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review. It isone of the surest ways for us to know what our guests require and how we can improve on what we offer our guests.

I am truly sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience at the Self Catering Unit. For fairness' sake I'd like to respond to your specific comments. Firstly our website statesclearly and I quote: "There is FREE Wi-Fi Internet, a bar fridge, micro wave oven and kettle." There is no stove, but the unit does not advertise that. There are indeed crockery and cutlery (small and big plates, cereal bowls, cups and saucers, wine glasses, water glasses, knives, forks, spoons, cutting knife, bread knife, a fruit platter etc) in the drawers just below the microwave oven and on the counter next to the micro.

As for the curtains - they are lined with blockout lining especially to keep out the light, so I am a bit confused as to why the sun came through? The 2 windows covered by blinds have 2 sets of blinds each - wooden ones and fabric ones which are also lined with blockout lining, so again I am surprised that the sun actually managed to shine through all of that.

So far as the air-conditioning is concerned: you are right, there is no air-conditioning, but there is a large standing fan. Do bear in mind that this unit is priced much cheaper than the Guest House, which is 4-star, especially to accommodate guests who are budget conscious. In future please do consider rather staying at the Guest House itself, as it has air-conditioning. I might mention that although the Self Catering Unit is priced in the 3-star range, it offers FREE Wi-Fi Internet, which some 4-star guest houses do not even have.

Again I really am sorry that your stay did not live up to your expectations. I do appreciate your comments about the staff, though, because everybody on the team works very hard to keep up our standards and to be as helpful to our guests as possible.

I hope that you will grant us the opportunity in future to make up for your unsatisfactory experience. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Kindest regards

Wenatchee, Washington
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Wow, everyone I met at 22 Die Laan was so gracious and accomodating. I had a LONG trip to South Africa and was feeling a little raw upon my late night arrival. The owner had coordinated a shuttle to pick me up at the Cape Town airport and was waiting to welcome me (long after normal desk hours) and help me get settled.

The room was basic, but comfortable and clean and I was very grateful for the wall mounted A/C unit which kept me cool throughout my summer stay. Breakfasts were fantastic, offering a nice mix of sweet & savory, featuring lovely cured meats, eggs/omelets made to order, fresh fruits, breads/rolls, cheeses, juices, and a nice assortment of chutneys & condiments.

The house is slightly off the beaten path in Stellenbosch, which means a little more walking than other guest houses, but also a little more peace and quiet at night. The WiFi signal was a little weak in my room, but I figured out where I needed to sit to use it.

The best feature of 22 Die Laan is clearly the staff. In addition to the Ounin, the owner, I was also spoiled by Talitha and Anya, whose service was gracious and attentive, but never intrusive or unwelcome. I am not particularly a morning person, but actually came to look forward to getting up early during my stay so I could enjoy Anya's warming charm during breakfast.

There may be fancier guesthouses in Stellenbosch, but I doubt they have better staffs than 22 Die Laan.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
22DIELAANGUESTHOUSE, Owner at 22 Die Laan Self-Catering Accommodation, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your detailed review, and especially for your comments about the staff at 22 Die Laan Guest House. I appreciate it so much more because I know how hard every single member on the team works to ensure that our guests have the best possible experience while staying with us.
I take cognisance of your remark about the WiFi in your room, and will address it.
Not all guests are as eloquent and specific in their feedback, and for that I thank you. It is the best way to assist us in continuously improving our amenities and our service.
We look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future!
Ounin Arndt, Owner
London, UK
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed three nights at 22 Die Laan in the "Arndt" room during a tour around the Western Cape and Garden Route, and it has to be one of our favourites of the trip.

Well located, in an iconic tree-lined and quiet street, but only a stone's throw from central Stellenbosch, which means it's great if you want to have a drink with your dinner, and not have to worry about driving or taxis.

Fantastic welcome from the staff: the house managers Anya and Talitha are the "face" of 22 Die Laan, both are really switched on, friendly and super helpful. Nothing ever seemed to pose a problem.

The room was beautifully furnished with top quality decor and bedding, meaning I slept really well, the bathroom was of a very high specification featuring a large bath and separate "rainfall" shower, and underfloor heating (not that we needed to use it!), while the free internet access is fast and trouble-free. Everything is done with attention to detail.

There is an Afrikaans word "gesellig", which doesn't really have a direct translation to English - the best you can do is "cosy", but 22 Die Laan is definitely more than cosy. Stay here with confidence.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
22DIELAANGUESTHOUSE, Owner at 22 Die Laan Self-Catering Accommodation, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Mike
Thank you ever so much for your wonderful review of 22 Die Laan Guest House. It is not often that guests express their satisfaction and/or gratitude, and then in such detail. It is much appreciated, especially because the whole team at 22 Die Laan strives to continuously improve our standards of service and amenities.
It affords quite a sense of reward for all the hard work and effort put in by every single one of the staff, so thank you again for your very kind words.
We certainly hope to see you back at 22 Die Laan Guest House some time in the future.
Cologne/Germany
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The Guest House is a quite cozy place within 10 minutes walking distance to the centre of Stellenbosch and 15 minutes to the Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Studies. My room was very spacious and clean, the bathroom huge. Free and fast WIFI. The breakfast menu changed every day and always included fresh and very tasteful fruits. The Personnel was very helpful, e.g. they arranged a perfect Cape Peninsula tour for us. I paid about 100 Euro per night.

Room Tip: Two rooms are facing the pool if one prefers this.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
22DIELAANGUESTHOUSE, Owner at 22 Die Laan Self-Catering Accommodation, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review - it is much appreciated. We work hard at continuously improving our standards and at tending to the needs of our guests as best possible, so it is heartening to get positive feedback.