“nice golf hotel”

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Tremelo, Belgium
“nice golf hotel”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

friendly people a the hoteldesk.They gave plenty information about the surroundings.We booked only a room,but we received an upgrade and had a nice studio with a small garden and a terrace.It was very cosy.
We also liked the golffacilities . The restaurant terrace overlooking the golf is very nice.
There was only one small problem:when we went to have dinner at about 8 p.m.they told us the kitchen was closed and that we couldn't have dinner any more.Normaly dinner time is till 9 p.m.and they didn't warn us that the restaurant would close earlier.
So we went back to the reception to make a complaint.The lady on the desk made a phonecall to the restaurant and solved our problem.So we went back to the restaurant and had a good meal (it was on our last evening).
The meal they serve at dinertime is very good (price/quality)
The location in Stellenbosch is very good.
The wifi connection worked good but slowly and fel out one day.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We were all pleasantly surprised with the size of accommodation, especially the living area, which allowed us to gather and entertain a few friends. It helped as it rained most of our stay. We had dinner both nights at the restaurant where both the service and food were good. My son and I played golf on the second day and found the course challenging and in excellent condition. A real surprise were the Springboks dotted around the course. We will definitely visit again sometime in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

We're not golfers but still enjoyed our stay at the Devonvale, that said, the hotel could maybe heat the pool and put some exercise equipment in its little gym for golfers and non golfers alike. Keep the non golfing partners happy and you might generate more business. Very impressed with their 2008 Shiraz. A nice restaurant with a very able and helpful lady manager.

• Stayed April 2014
Malmesbury, South Africa
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My husband and I spent an absolutely wonderful weekend at Devonvale Golf and Wine Estate, the facilities and service was of top quality and really made our weekend extra special. On Friday we were greeted and checked in by very friendly staff at reception, our room was so stylish, it looked like something out of a magazine. On Saturday morning my husband thoroughly enjoyed the golf course, while I was pampered at the very intimate spa, true bliss! We enjoyed all meals at the restaurant, again the food and service met our highest standards. We will definitely return to Devonvale soon.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Capt Town

RECEPTION:
I had booked room 21 and 26. Which was confirmed. Luckily a few days before my stay I checked on my bookings with hotel. I was then told that Im booked in at room 27 (which was not as stated on my original booking). This was put right and was assured that I am in room 26. On arrival at hotel I was again told I have room 27....This was a bit annoying as I was booked in at 26.That was not all....On leaving hotel to book out, I asked..."is there still any outstanding amounts owing"? I was given a "helllofa" bill ..which amounted to +- R34 000..(some other peoples bill....should have kept it....cant remember the room Nos.) Again I said no this cant be mine...the receptionist apoligised , saying awe sorry that was not mine. (It was not the German receptionist....it was the other receptionist on duty.) I suggest more training there on how to work that computer at reception. Very embarassing.
BREAKFAST: Service very slow, especially bringing tea and coffee. Tables were not cleared fast enough for others to join for breakfast. Food excellen.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed April 6, 2014

need two sleep pillows per person - did not clean room early per request on door knob (but did wait outside room when reminded and did apologize) - breakfast was excellent - location convenient and very good value for money

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

London
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I haven't reviewed for ages, because I travel a lot and have very little time, but have come out of "retirement" because this place really deserves a great review.

I had real misgivings about this place before even arriving, because it was second choice - our first sold-out while booking it - and I normally stay in higher category hotels. I was taking my mother away for a few days, so quiet and relaxation were key, which this hotel seemed to offer. I know Cape Town well and Stellenbosch is a great base, especially when not quite hot enough for the beach.

However, things didn't start well and I really thought I'd made a terrible mistake... We arrived after a 12 hour flight and a drive to find that the hotel had no record of our (fully prepaid) booking! Still worse, the receptionist, although friendly and helpful, thought we must be at the wrong hotel and Devonvale didn't have the rooms we needed. Once I produced the booking confirmation, she said she would call the owner and asked us to wait in the restaurant while they sorted it out. Fortunately, they did find acceptable accommodation, but it took three hours from our arrival for them to clean it and for us to be in. A disappointing start, but I'm happy to say that it was the only glitch in what became a wonderful stay.

Devonvale is not a Four Seasons, but it's not in that market, and its physical facilities, cleanliness, food and drink options are all right up to its standard. There are beautiful views all round and it's very quiet. What made this hotel special - and very relaxing - was that its staff was utterly charming and did whatever they could to help. They were invariably lovely, warm, friendly and helpful.

We found the restaurant to be great: straightforward food, really well prepared, reasonably priced and served by incredibly nice staff, the absolute star being Ocean, who looked after us like long-lost friends. Breakfast was great, with every reasonable need provided, hot, cold, cereals, fruit, pastries, even sparkling wine. My only tip would be that the menu is limited and didn't change during the three days we were there, which might be a concern for those on half- or full-board.

Felt welcome by everyone we met, from the smiling, waving gate staff, to the receptionists, waiting staff and cleaners. No (reasonable) request was any problem, and it's difficult to over-emphasise how *nice* everyone was. I'd be back in a heartbeat: I've stayed in thousands of hotels with glitzier facilities, fancier food and showier service, but that's not the point here. I've stayed in few with such genuine heart and seldom have I felt so genuinely welcome. We both left relaxed and delighted.

Thanks all, especially Ocean!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms/ suites if not summer - they will be brighter, have no floor noise from above and the...