“what a place to have romantic dinner”
Review of Raphael's

Raphael's
Ranked #135 of 258 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Hong Kong, China
“what a place to have romantic dinner”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

service was second to none. The only restaurant to have a wine waiter and a food waiter to serve my table. The wine waiter offered one white and 3 red wines for tasting, gave me all the time I wanted to compare, before I chose my favorite to drink for the night. Kingklip was glorious here. Shiraz was among the best I'd tried in S Africa.

Visited June 2013

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“If it weren't for the company I was with”
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

I had a less than ave experience but have great afternoon with colleagues and some of them better meals. It started by two smoke alarms and all windows and doors opened because of the attempt to get a fire going. I ordered mussels as starter and when I expected it to come out I was informed they do not have any mussels in the kitchen. Then opted for salad which left allot to be desired for as per the picture. My beef steak was one big piece of sinew - even the waitress acknowledged she would not have eaten it. Apparently the mushroom risotto starter was great as well as blue cheese chicken. Lovely setting but that's where it ends.

• Visited June 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“"Sophisticated Views"”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Make no mistake the day in Stellenbosch was perfect, not a breath of wind and the view from the restaurant terrace was breath taking.
We were immediately impressed with the clean sophisticated set of the restaurant whether it be the plush purple loungers we passed or sleek caged Harley Davidson at the entrance. The attention to luxury is a definite talking point.
The waitron service was friendly and respectful. The food was clean, tasty and well presented. The Asara Sauvignon Blanc at R85 was a steal. The option of making your dining experience economical or a decant treat is entirely up to you. I enjoyed the variety of single malts on sale at the Sansibar and would recommend this establishment if you were in the area.

• Visited March 2013
}���S��
“Nice view, but no sun and food only OK”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

To be fair to the staff we turned up at Raphael's just after 2.00 pm without a reservation and after checking with the kitchen were shown to a table on the balcony. In-line with the South African aversion to the sun, the balcony is under cover - so shady (and windy), even though the view was great. Service was attentive and quick without initially seeming rushed. Sparkling water soon appeared and a nice bottle of well-cooled sauvignon blanc followed shortly afterwards. Pea and mint risotto with parmesan crisp was a disappointing starter (certainly not in the same league as Bread & Wine) and while the crisp was good the risotto itself was too uniform in taste and consistency to be interesting. The Caprese tomato and buffalo mozzarella salad with pesto was well presented and tasty. For mains we both chose the deep fried calamari were served with a tasty tartar sauce and seasonal salad. The portion size was good but the batter on the calamari was too heavy and detracted from the taste of the seafood. By the time the calamari arrived, we were the only diners left on the balcony so service was over attentive to the point that we felt we were being rushed so staff (there seemed to be plenty of them) could finish their shift. The bill arrived in double quick time and we moved to the deli for coffee - this was brilliant; sheltered from the wind, some warm sunshine, amazing carrot cake to accompany my espresso and as much time as we wanted. Needless to say, we lingered for some time.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank harrymlaw
UK
“Table with a View!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We were staying at the neighbouring Lovane Boutique Wine Estate and they recommended eating at Asara - we were so glad we did. We were given a table outside on the terrace with stunning views - it was a lovely warm evening and the food was fantastic, the service was outstanding and we also tasted the best wine of the holiday - Asara Bell Tower.

• Visited February 2013