“Ernie Els Restaurant in Stellenbosch South Africa”
Review of Big Easy

Big Easy
Ranked #18 of 250 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Houston, Texas
“Ernie Els Restaurant in Stellenbosch South Africa”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

One of the best meals I have ever had, some ladies in a travel store in a local mall recommended it and we're they ever right. I had the Prime Rib which was wonderful, cooked just right, very tender and very tasty. The Big Easy salad for the table was really unusual and very tasty and the desserts were great!

Visited October 2012

• Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Hamburg
“Big Surprise”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Our host recommended that place and until then we haven't heard anything about it so we thought it would be some burger place or a steak house, just from the sound of its name. We were so wrong :-) so you can image how amazed we were once we walked into it! All the different rooms are so nicely decorated and the atmosphere is just outstanding!
We enjoyed very good food and very good service there. This place is a must!

Our special recommendation: try the house cocktail (cannot remember the name) with the cinnamon on top!

South Africa
“Lost the plot”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have been to the Big Easy a number of times in the past and always found it to be a pleasurable experience - not exactly fine dining, but good solid cooking and always with some interesting daily specials. The restaurant itself comfortable and the ambience good.
But judging by my last visit, something has definitely gone awry in the kitchen! The menu, and the limited specials offered, we're uninspiring and the food did little to improve that impression when it arrived at the table, tepid and irritatingly over-plated. (I really do not need each element of my meal to arrive in a separate container!). In hindsight though, this is perhaps designed to give the impression that you are enjoying a fine dining experience - and justify the eye-watering size of the bill at the end! Service was enthusiastic but sadly lacking.
With so much excellent competition in the vicinity, The Big Easy will have to up its game.

Sandton, South Africa
“Stellenbosch has so much more to offer!”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I ate here on a business dinner and I was totally disappointed with the food. The service was prompt and professional.The interior of the restaurant was warm and upmarket and had a great ambiance, eluding to a fine dining restaurant. The food however lacked flare and a true fine dining touch, it was completely overpriced and boring for what is offered elsewhere in Stellenbosch.

FOOD: I ordered a Caprese salad which is very hard to mess up, yet it lacked enough olive oil and basil flavour. For mains I ordered a fillet steak for R160, I was expecting something spectacular at that price. However it was under seasoned and accompanied by MacDonald type fries and a boring side salad. Where were the taste fusions and subtle flavors reminiscent of "fine dining" as they sell themselves to the public?? For dessert I thought I could not go wrong with a classic creme brulee. It was dull and the sugar layer on top was as thick as the under soft custard layer! One of my colleagues ordered the risotto which they said was impeccable but still its just risotto.

WINE: They do have a great wine list with something to tickle everyone's fancy. Medium to high priced wines are available with the waiter trying to push the premium labels.

SETTING: The tables are covered in fine white table clothes and the interior has the feeling of fine dining. The lighting and general atmosphere was relaxed and welcoming with a real warmth to the place. This for me was the best part of my experience.

Cape Town
“Total rip-off”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Ha! Is Ernie, Rupert jnr or the head of Merchant Bank (all partners) serious in dishing up Prego rolls (going at R95.00) for lunch? To stare at all the paraphernalia behind glass shelves make up for an unbelievably boring and stifled menu. This joint is in urgent need of a better chef/management.

• Visited September 2012