“Great rooms and breakfast and location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Middedorp Manor

Middedorp Manor
Ranked #24 of 112 Stellenbosch B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great rooms and breakfast and location”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Very luxurious hotel which was the perfect start to our Honeymoon in South Africa. We stayed for 5 nights while wine tasting in the area and it was great. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CraigieBon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Korean first
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed at Middedorp the weekend before last and it was absolutely fantastic! The rooms are even more luxurious than the photos display. The quality was top notch, from the sheets to the toiletry products. The staff was very attentive and helpful. Breakfast in the back garden was like something out of an English romance novel. We'll definitely be returning!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ALS1028
Mechelen, Belgium
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stylish luxury at a 2min walk from the Stellenbosch centre. Spacious room with separate dress area, wonderful interiors, high level service, delicious breakfast served inside or outside on a lovely terras. Private parking space on the property. High value for money. I would go back any time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bart v
Rotselaar
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Fanatastic experience. Staff and owner demonstrate an acute attention for details where it concerns the well-being of their guests. Top quality accomodation, delicious breakfast with ample choice, and I had no problem parking my rental car on the property !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TrouweKlant
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I came to Middedorp by accident, thanks to a mess up at a local hotel (after an 11 hour flight that doomed hotel was all I needed; they were undergoing construction). I was in Stellenbosch on business in the wine industry and stayed 5 nights, followed by a single night the following week. The room was super large, beautifully appointed, and so very "tubby" that I am going to return at some point with my husband, but next time on hols. Note: The "tubby" designation is assigned only to beautiful bathrooms with large claw tub, taps placed in middle, perfect for two.

The staff were simply lovely, with Mathew there to greet me after work to see how my day had gone, whilst always directing me to the complimentary tray of sherries and Muscats. Meanwhile the resident kitty showed me around the garden- this is a cat that is clearly a dog in spirit.

Pinch me, this was a work trip?! The room was super quiet so don't be put off that "middedorp" means centre of town. I awoke to the dawn chorus and it was more like being in the country, but with a less than five minute walk to the centre of town. I hope to stay there again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jane M
bangalore,india
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I think the other reviews say it all - the place is stunning.
Rooms - Pared down, sophisticated interiors. Beautiful bed linen. Comfortable bed - I had the best nights sleep in ages. Dress area separated by a partition with safe, bath-robes etc.

Bathrooms - Very simple & elegant. Kind of small, but well provided. No bath-tub in our rooms. Good quality toiletries in the bathrooms.

The House itself is gorgeous. Antiques placed everywhere, a well-stocked book & DVD library, honesty bar. There is a beautiful balcony where you can sit & watch the worls go by. There is a very tiny pool behind, we did'nt use it since it was winter when we were there, but I cant imagine anyone having a proper swim in it. Plenty of space around it to lounge around though. The garden is also beautiful with lemon tree, grape vines & flowers.

Breakfast - Not large but pretty much all you can think of. A hot option, fruits, bread, cereal etc. Isolde the manager really went out of her way to procure some mushrooms for my husband's breakfast, since he's vegetarian & the hot option that morning was eggs.

Plenty of parking space in front. You have the key so you can go & come as you please. There is even free sherry waiting for you when you get back!

the location is great. A nice stroll down to stellenbosch centre. We did'nt need a car at all in the 3 days we spent there. The staff are very friendly & helpful. The only small grouse I have is that there is no heating at all in the common areas. It was 6-7 deg. C when we were there, so it was freezing when we stepped out of the room. The breakfast area especially needs some form of heating. Had to carry a jacket & a shawl everytime I went down to breakfast.

All in all they seem to have everything just right & we had a great stay there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kaytp
South Africa
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed at Middedorp at the end of a very hectic trip to the cape, and it was a haven of peace and tranquility that we wish we'd had more time to enjoy. The decor is superb - elegant & sophisticated yet simple and unpretentious, with an attention to detail and a quality of finish that makes all the difference. From the moment we arrived, we were treated to a warm and genuine hospitality. The location is perfect for a stroll down to the many shops, restaurants and coffee shops of Stellenbosch, and is the perfect place to retreat to: the calm quiet of Middedorp is the perfect place for a quiet afternoon's reading or snooze. Everything about this place is pitch-perfect: we will be back. What a place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business