“WONDERFUL FOOD”

Ranked #3 of 267 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Delaire restaurant is situated at the winery and overlooks the Franschhoek valley. It offers approachable fine food with fresh and vibrant flavours. Guests are able to dine on the terrace under a canopy of pin oak trees or within the spectacular interiors designed by the interior architect and decorator David Collins, whilst enjoying the breathtaking views Delaire allows of the Stellenbosch Valley and Mountains. The signature dishes include: Pickled Beetroot Carpaccio with goat's cheese fritters; Crayfish Lasagne with king oyster mushrooms; Pistachio Nougat served with rose geranium ice cream.
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I`m not a great wine drinker so it took some pushing to get me to go to a wine estate but I`m glad I did.
You need to book this resturant because if you want to sit outside overlooking the gardens and valley it will make your day and your meal more memorable.
My wife got us in without booking but we had to eat inside but by a window which still gave an opportunity to admire the nature.

For my main course I had fillet of beef wrapped in an aubergine parcel , so delicious I could have eaten it all over again.

Service was good and by the number of people arriving who were recognised by the staff I think there is a lot of repeat business , only open for lunch 12 until 4.

A very nice place to visit

Write a ReviewReviews (1,789)

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We were here a few years ago before they had the big refurbishment – and it was magical. The setting is something out of a fairy tale. When we came back the next time, it was closed, so we were excited that this year, at long last, we were going to have the Delaire experience again.

We came for lunch, as we’re staying some distance away. The upgrade is extensive: it is beautifully done up, very posh. The staff were plentiful and attentive. But the food was a disappointment. We shared a cob salad – so far so good. But David ordered the fish, which looked nice but was a little overcooked. I had the belly pork, which should have been melting tender, and instead it was tough and undercooked. I did comment to our waiter about this, thinking that they might not charge us for the single scoop of sorbet I ordered for dessert, but no such luck.

All of the above, plus 2 glasses of wine, cost about twice as much as better meals we had elsewhere. A high premium to pay for the lovely setting. Next time we’ll just stop by for a drink or a coffee and eat our meal elsewhere.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Although Delaire was probably the most expensive restaurant we ate at in SA this holiday, the food was good and the overall experience was excellent. I had the cray fish to start, my husband had the soup and then to follow he had belly pork and I had the fillet beef. We shared a creme brûlée which was sheer greed because we were so full! All the dishes were well presented and tasty and the Chardonnay was one of the best I've had.
Obviously, a large part of the experience is the views which were stunning. The service was helpful and varied; we must have had 3 or 4 different people attending to us but not in a stuffy or 'flunky' way. They were delightful. Downside? You must book well in advance!

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Today we finally managed to make a reservation at Delaire Graff Estate.
We were so looking forward to it, but were totally disappointed!!!

In gerenal terms, the service was great. The waiters knew how to do their jobs and were very kind. But the kitchen was a complete desaster. The "amuse gueule" was honestly disgusting. Every single table left in untouched.
Then we have ordered a soup (which was completely without any salt and pepper) - that was ok. And a tomatoe consomee with buffallo mozzarella (for ZAR 120). It was like 8gr of mozzarella, two tiny tomatoes and 90% garlic. Pretty much not eatable. Finally we have received our peaces of meat. The meat was OK, but the sides... green beans that haven't been cooked at all, a salad without any kind of dressing and mashed potatoes where potatoes have been missing...

Due to that we have skipped the dessert and asked for the bill. This was 1'300 ZAR (water, 2 glasses of MCC and 2 glasses of white wine were included). We gave additional ZAR 200 as a tip, since the service was great, but left extremly dissatisfied (and hungry, if we were not feeling sick afterwards).

We absolutely can not recommend that place currently. We were told that the executive chef was not working tonight and that the sous chef was in charge. It seems he can not fulfill the standards we have expected (and based on the latest reviews lots of guests feel the same). We have told those issues to the chief waiter tonight, but he could not react anymore.

Fortunately we have a couple of shots later on back home to get rid of the garlic smell.

1  Thank AlexTysl
Reviewed February 14, 2014

...everything perfect...from the place to the staff,the setting and of course the food and wines.
i had made a reservation through internet and got a call a day before on my french cell phone to remind me of the confirmation which was highly appreciated.
one of the best place in stellenbosch,we highly recommand it.